Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Finaly flying

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Mikes machines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finaly flying

I have had this helicopter for 3 years and have not had a lot of sucess. I have crashed everytime I have tried to fly it until now. It has been very discouraging but I finaly made it.Just this weekend I ran out 5 tanks of fuel. WOO HOO!!!! A few things I have learned. 1. Do not buy a used heli for a newbie greenhorn starter, there is too much you dont know that would have been explained in the manual and you would not have to discover and reapair someone elses mistakes. 2. Get a simulator, this saves a LOT of money in the long run. 3.Have someone that knows helis help you get yours set up and dialed in. I did it the hard way and wasted a lot of time and money. At one point I almost sold it and said forget helis. Any how I am now doing figure eights and nose in. Working on form and consistency.Oh yeah DO NOT fly until you understand how your gyro works and how to set it up. I have the GY401 and the instructions arent real clear, of course once you figure it out the instructions are correct just not very descriptive. Of course if anybody has any questions I would be happy to share what I have learned.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20305.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	282748  
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finaly flying

Yep... the key to learning to fly a heli and keeping it in one piece is:

1) Learn to hover in a good sim first (RealFlight, Reflex, Aerofly Pro, etc.)
2) Use training gear
3) Conservative flying

I taught myself as well... spent 8hrs in RealFlight learning to hover first, and then flew about 70 flights with training gear, hovering every which way and then some forward flight, before I took the gear off.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:46 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be worse paul, I taught myself 20 some odd years ago, before sims and flew for 15 years without gyros. These things have come a long way!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Even if it were not for the avcs gyros and computer radios there is just sooooo much more information available now without buying a library of books or pouring over back issues of magazines looking for a morsel of heli info here and there.