Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

raptor 50 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:00 PM
PAUL A ELLIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 50 clutch?

Hi, I have just finished building my first helli, checked and double checked everything it's all good to go I start the thing up and I can't get the main rotor blades to spin very fast, you can see the clutch engage as you increase engine revs and the rotor starts turning but as I give it more throttle the rotor does not turn any faster?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
flyfree69

Default RE: raptor 50 clutch?

are you running a os50? i have a hyper50 and i had the same kind of problem, it was because i used the washer that comes on the engine and it pushed the clutch up to high. alot of people don't use the washer, i took mine off and it works great now.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
PAUL A ELLIS

I'm running a TT50, the clutch looks to be in the right place in the housing, I gave it another run last night now I'm not sure it is a clutch problem. I can see the clutch gear turning anit-clockwise and the main gear spins clockwise but the main rotor is still not turning, Its got me puzzled.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Did you remove all the washers from the engine before you installed the fan?

In any case it sounds like your motor is running backwards which can happen when the low end is set too rich.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 AM
RotorNut

Dumb question here but is the upper and lower bolts on the main shaft in? Also have you checked the one-way yet? When your talking clockwise and counter clockwise which way are you referencing top to bottom of the heli or bottom to top? If your looking top to bottom the main gear should be turning clockwise (same direction of proper main blade rotation), if it's not then like barracudahockey say's your motor is running backwards. If the main gear is turning fine without the main blades spooling up with it there are only 2 things that could cause this The main shaft bolts or the one way. You can check the one way by holding the main gear and turn the blade it their proper direction they should turn, then while holding the main gear try to turn the blades backwards it shouldn't move as long as you got hold of the main gear.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 AM
satwelsh

Make sure the one way bearing is in the right way round, I know this sounds stupid but i've seen it done if it is wrong you will have no drive from the clutch it will just freewheel
Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
PAUL A ELLIS

I have been right through and double checked the drive train It's all ok.
I leaned the low end down a full turn and the engine changed direction but as I increase the throttle It goes into reverse again at about one third stick, I guess this means I have a lot more tuning to do.
Still the fact that the main gear turns clockwise (if you're looking top to bottom) weather the engine runs clockwise or anti-clockwise is odd.

Thanks for you're input so far guy's
Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM
RotorNut

Sounds like you got a detonation problem. What kinda fuel and plug are ya running? With a detonation the fuel ignites before the piston is at the top of the stroke and pushes the engine backwards.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:42 PM
PAUL A ELLIS

I am using, fuel is 30% and a Enya 3# glowplug.

I have adjusted the mixture and the engine starts in the right direction now and continues for about one third throttle and then the revs climb quickly and the motor is going backwards, as I return the throttle to idle position the motor goes back to the correct direction.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 PM
RotorNut

Sounds like your high end needle needs adjusted or you have a fuel flow problem. Run the motor then touch the back plate of the motor, you should be able to keep your finger on it for 5 to 10 seconds. If its to hot to touch your to lean if its cool your too rich. Also check your fuel line going to the carb for bubbles. If all else fails you'd be better off finding an experienced pilot to take a look at it. It's hard to diagnose engine problems on a forum.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 PM
PAUL A ELLIS

Thanks for advice,

Take it easy.