Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Piece Of CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:08 PM
TheGiftedOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piece Of CRAP

i own a honeybee 2 CCPM heli. i flew it a little, i wasnt good at it. anyway, i just figured out that the main shaft is bent on it, and i cant get anything disassembled, some retard superglued every last part together so i need a freaking blow torch to get it off. well, i really dont feel like screwing with it, so im gonna buy another helicopter. heres where the hard part comes in. ive been thinking about the eflight blade. ive been reading some really good reports on it and it looks pretty nice. the thing is, the more pictures that i look at, the more and more it looks just like my honeybee, down to the servos. is it the same thing? does anyone own both? the other heli that i was looking at was this walkera heli (some knock-off of another one). it looks pretty sweet. it comes with a brushless motor, carbon blades, its a shaft driven blade, looks sweet. heres the ebay auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1. i need some guidance, thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 PM
JohnFH
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Piece Of CRAP

The Blade and the Honeybee are basicly the same heli, I would go with the Trex over the Walkeria as the Walkeria is just a clone anyway.
I would also be concerned with the 1500mah battery, seems a little small for 15min flights, and a 20 amp speed controller is also a little on the weak side, I have a 1900mah battey with a 35amp speed controller in my Trex.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:56 AM
radobahn

Trex[sm=thumbup.gif] Whatever you decide on try to stay with belt or shaft-driven tail rotors.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:29 AM
GentleBen1952

I started out with the Honeybee 2 at Christmas and your right it is a piece of crap. I did learn that I like heli's from struggling to fly that thing. I then moved on to the Hornet II and it flew much more stable but would not hold together long enough to learn anything beyond hover, and just like the HB2 its all glued together and is a ***** to repair. I just got a close up look at the blade and it is very much like the HB2. I bought a T-rex two weeks ago and finally I'm having a blast!!! It's very stable, holds together and it goes together with nuts and bolts, no glue, and repair parts are cheap. I have done forward flight and nose in hovering all without a hitch because I can trust it to hold together. I'm sure there are heli's out there just as good but I know for a fact the T-rex is a winner.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM
TheGiftedOne

yeah, ive let the idea of a new heli ferment in my brain for a few days. i dont think im gonna go with the one i found on ebay. im actually leaning towards the blade. i know thats its the same thing as the HB2, but the hobby shop at my area sells the blade and theres a bunch of guys i know that own one. also, if anything goes wrong, i know who to call about a warranty issue. im just so fed up with the esky. the friggin thing shipped with a right handed throttle, just ticks me off. i dont have the funds to go for the trex yet, maybe a few years hehe. im always looking on ebay for a nice one though. i think it would be a better idea for me to go the cheaper route until get my wits about me. maybe ill ask for a hirobo for christmas and go from there. anyways, thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
onlinedevil

I bought a FP dragonfly (bought on Ebay from Hong kong (bluddyTax)) and wasn't realy happy with it, essecialy since the spare parts I thought I could buy here in the UK wern't even the same. I'm now a big fan of Century, I've just bought today the Hummingbird V3 just for somthing to play about with in the house, it's far better quality.

I've not flown my mates new Hummingbird CP Pro but it looks prity nice.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
TheGiftedOne

yeah, ive got my progrssion of helicopters all planned out in my head. first im gonna go with the xrb lama with the x-rotation. that should give me a good handle on helis (or so i hope). then im gonna go with the hummingbird v3. i found a really nice setup on ebay. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/RTF-Century-Hummingbird-Elite-3D-PRO-RC-Helicopter-1e_W0QQitemZ5989130146QQcategoryZ2563QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem]heres[/link] the auction. it looks really nice.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
r-man

I guess I'll bee the one dissenting voice here:

I had He!! with micro R/C helis, UNTIL I bought an e-sky honeybee.

I'm 37 and have been flying r/c planes since I was 8 years old. Yep, 29 years on the stick, both building and flying. I used to fly Pattern and compete on a national basis. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm a decent stick.

HOWEVER, about 4 months ago, my 7 year old son started asking about helis, so I did some research.

Based on the rave reviews of the Blade CP, and the negative comments about so many of the chinese knockoffs, I dropped $362.81 for a blade cp w/the aerobatics kit, 2 crash kits, heat sinks, bearings, and enough spares to basically rebuild the heli, minus electronics.

Now, I've also done my homework on the other end, so I ALSO bought the Reflex flight sim, and a futaba 7chp radio. Practiced. Flight w/sim onalmost ANY heli was easy. Nose in, out, either side, inverted w/idle up switch and at least basic controlability in 3d, both normal and inverted, before I ever even powered up teh blade.

Had a local club heli flight instructor trim the blade, make sure everything was fine, and go through the first flight inside my warehouse where wind wouldn't be an issue. I'd also put the training gear on (the 2 crossed carbon rods w/ping pong balls) so that there would be almost zero friction w/the smooth floor of the warehouse (we'd both reasoned slidng/slippery was safer than friction induced tip-overs).

We first re-balanced the blades to make sure everything was 100% (this guy is kinda meticulous, even to me, but I still don't think caution can be over emphasized, especially with aircraft this powerful). He took off, went through slow surface/control checks while hovering @ about 8 ft (my ceilings are 28ft) and then flew around some. (we only used the flat bottomed blades that first day).

I then took over. I flew less than an hour (probably 4 re-charges on the batteries), and WITHOUT crashing, destroyed 2 mainshafts, and burned out a tail motor.

By the time I'd rebuilt everything (again, checking everythign and insuring balance as I went) I might have gotten 4 more flights (still only on the flat-bottomed blades) by which time I"d gone through the another mainshaft and a tail rotor.

By now, the gyro started to act up.

I have 7 brushless, lipo'ed planes right now, and escs are simple, GYROS are normally simple, but this one had a tic. Gain had decided to become an exponential-rate adjustment, all by itself.

To say it's flight stability was lacking is a pale understatement.

One night about that time I flew a micro foamie in my front yard and a neighbor asks if I'll check out a heli he just bought off of ebay for his kid.

When he told me it came from china, and was called a "honey-something" lol, I had a bad feeling.

It was already sitting on the table in his kitchen when we came in, minus the body, and when I walked up, I was shocked at the twinky-ness to some other helis I'd now seen: The Venom NightRanger, and another I don't know the name of. Except for the rotor head and blades, it was also EXACTLY like MY Blade CP.

"HOw much did you pay?"

"$122, w/shipping, and it came w/a free flight sim, which Perry has gotten bored with, so I guess it's time to let him at this one."

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I didn't say anyting, although I was really skeptical, figuring after everything I've read, hear and in other places, that it was going to be a piece of carp.

We took it into his den, which is big enough to easily fly inside of, and I powered it up. It flew easily, with what to me felt like much more control than my Blade. I attributed this to the plastic blades vs the flat-blades on my Blade, thinking this was just the price I pay for cp. Ok. Cool. Turn it over to my neighbor and his drooling 11 year old son, and away I went, to replace yet ANOTHER main shaft on my heli.

Fast forward 3 weeks later, and the kid is now flying outside in winds I won't even go outside in, doing what looks like loops and rolls, then, as I'm driving up to the house, flying, um, INVERTED???!!!

Oh. DIfferent blades, and head... and heli? Yep, dad bought him the $190-something off of ebay, 6 channel, cpHoneybee.

DDDDDD AAAAAA YYYYYY UUUUUU MMMMMM

That thing was awesome! He let me fly it, and immediately I felt in more control.

Blade C(ra)P went on Ebay that night, and I ordered 2 Honeybee 6 channel cps for $377, and the seller emailed me an offer of a TON of parts (including 2 motors, 3 sets of blades, 3 main gears etc)... so still a little skeptical, I paypaled them $604 in the end, for 2 complete, rtf cps, enough parts to BUILD another complete bird, minus 2 servos (they included an extra gyro).

Can't say enough good things about these birds. Instead of a one piece mainshaft-spur gear, wherein any real torque exerted along the axis of EITERH the plane on which the shaft rotates, or the other on which the gear rotates will BOTH bend the shaft, over-torque the pin, or break the spurs. On the Honeybees, the spurs are bolted w/4 screws and pinned (w/a 2mm cotter) to the shafts.

In almost 2 months now, and gosh knows how many flights, I'm MUCH happier w/the honeybees than I EVER was w/the BLade.

My now 8 year old son is flying one of them w/flat bottomed blades, and when he can remember to NOT look at things other than the heli, he is turnign into a decent stick, if I do say so. We're now to the point that I rarely take control back from the trainer box he's flying. However, since he hasn't exhibited the maturity yet to control a device I honeslty think capable of killing him or someone else, he stays buddy-boxed until he matures a bit.

Anyways (thank goodness I'm a fast typest, because THAT was a lot to type...) Don't be afraid of the e-sky Honeybees, imho. THis is one family (actually, there are now 3 families on my block, lol) that LOVES LOVES LOVES them [8D]
Old 08-11-2005, 03:23 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

I'll add my 2 cents. Friend of mine recently picked up a Fixed Pitch Esky Honeybee at a convetion up here the other day. I was really impressed at it's stability for a FP bird. His came like that out of the box, whereas my GWS Dragonfly required a bit of work (and modification) and tweaking to get anywhere near as stable. I setup and trimmed his bird for him from the box and was hovering almost hands off on the first pack.
They all come with cheapo landing skids that break easily in the event of a hard landing, but otherwise it flew much more docile than my other birds.

If setup properly, they do fly real nice .
Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
sparkling_fist

i wouldnt go with a #36.
i brought one.. but its not the brushless + carbon version..
just the standard with the 400SD motor..

it doesnt frikin take off..

plus its a clone,
so go with a trex..
Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM
r-man

I will say I like the Blade's landing gear better than most of the otehr micros. THe one-piece skids are resiliant, thick, and strong.

I used a spare from my Blade to swap out w/the honeybees before ever taking off. W/home made training grear, I've yet to break one of the Blade's skids mounted on the 'bees.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:21 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the honeybees fp's are great!!! The main shaft and gear design is a plus!!! I have the FP and going for the cp next. I have a collection of helis including The TREX "THE BEST ELECTRIC HELI!!! PERIOD!!! Cant wait to get my honeybeecp!!!