Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

How to turn in forward flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

How to turn in forward flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:42 AM
skw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn in forward flight

Wonder if someone could help me here in regards to basic turning left or right with the heli while in forward flight and then recover back into forward flight. I’ve been practicing with my G3 simulator but cannot quite get the hang of it.

While moving in forward flight and say I want to make a left turn, how do I manipulate the sticks? Do I bank left first and then apply left rudder, left rudder and then left bank, or apply both at the same time? I always seem to have trouble with the transition of back into forward flight after a turn. Is there some website that can also help to explain this?

Thanks...
Old 07-23-2005, 05:07 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How to turn in forward flight

it all depends on the type of turn, the speed of the heli in forward flight etc. for me when i make a basic 180 degree forward turn, i first begin to bank the heli to the left i start to feed it some collective to keep it from losing altitude and at the same time i apply alittle left rudder and pull back on the cyclic control.

however at very high speeds, i can bank the heli 90 degrees to the left, and then just pull back on the cyclic control to get it to turn without using any rudder input, This is kind of like in airplanes where you bank and yank the turn.

pulling back on the cyclic i think is what your probably missing in your attempts to make a smooth turn. basically the less you bank the heli the more rudder input and less back cyclic you use to get it to come around, the more you bank the heli the less rudder input you will use and more back cyclic
Old 07-23-2005, 06:29 AM
skw

Thanks for the explination. I think I see what you're getting at as I read your post more and more and what I need to do for a smooth turn.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:13 AM
voltron1011

Doesn't it have to do with what kind of gyro you have also? If you have a rate gyro, the heli should wind-sock in the direction of forward flight. If you have a heading-hold gyro, you have to put in tail rudder inputs.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

im not sure good point, i had one heli with a rate gyro but it was a micro and i could hardly fly it long enough to find out.

since then i have only used heading hold.

i imagine with a rate gyro that my statement would still hold true with banking the heli 90 degrees and then pulling back on the cyclic, because the gyro technically sees no yaw when turning like this since your just using elevator.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 AM
GroundMagnet

A rate Gyro is still going to try and hold the tail where it's at it just won't move it back if it does move.

SO you could fly sideways and the tail should and I say should hold it's not going to weath vein on you quickly but I think over a time it would.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Your not going to fly sideways very long with a rate gyro, the tail will indeed weather vane. A rate gyro merely dampens tail movements.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:47 AM
skw

Interesting about the gyros. In regards to the G3 simulator, what kind of gyro if any, would you say it is imitating because in a slow to moderate forward speed turn, I still have to apply some rudder which seems to indicate a heading hold gyro.