Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

E-Flight hover

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 PM
kaamacat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flight hover

Easy question...... hovering indoors (practice), heil scoots directly to left because? (fill in the blanks please)...........and there is a large one below. (Been on the board, looked for a while........too long.......just happend to say what-the-heck.......although sure its a CP model but it seems to be quite nice).......

thanks.............
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Human_Enigma

Default RE: E-Flight hover

you dont have it trimmed out right yet.. (answer to question)
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 AM
kaamacat

Let me better descripe........Just when skids leave carpet, directly to left.......... any suggestions for adjustments. (remember Im 100% new to this).
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 AM
robstach

What happens when you get it higher? Is the heli tilting or just sliding?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
kaamacat

I'll let ya know...........Just got it yesterday, and been doing the safe/chicken deal in a large room at the moment with my own version of traing gear (which Im thinking could also be affecting balance by a little)..........playing with battery placement so the nose aint so heavy. (but thanks for the question).....I will for sure let you know.

Im sure most will think im crazy, no experience with this unit...........I do admit it seems to be built nicely, reacts nice from what i've seen so far
Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Helidreamer

Good Luck,
I also just bought one and it seems to tilt to the right on take off in the room. This is also my first time with helicopters. Went out and bought the training gear and able to get it into the air. Still working on motor placement but overall I love the machine.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
pawraith

i'm going to be getting one soon myself, but to help you guys with your questions, when i started flying my rotofly, it scooted to the left a little bit. all i had to do was realign my training gear and now i can take straight off. whichever direction you start to skid, thats the direction you want to move your training gear, causing your heli to tilt in the opposite direction. if your 100% new to helis in general, your going to have some tilt while your in a hover. i still havn't found out why, but its easy to overcome and you get used to it. let me know how your motors last. i keep burning mine up in my rotofly. good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM
kaamacat

Im picking up the training gear (real stuff) this afternoon........... Is it just a much taller set of gear with balls on the end (and a wider stance?).......Question........ (for both of you)....... are all of your trims from factory and now just about centered? (other than throttle full down)?

Question......... where is your stock battery mounted........mid way on front skid, or, more like 75% behind the front skid? (mid way
seemed to be a bit nose heavy)

BTW...........It is durable.........hit full throttle by accident in a room, pulled back quick........slashed/marked the wall, minimal damage to rotor ends (very minimal).......... (this is why the cat is not allowed in the room at the same time) :-)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
deli_conker

It scoots left because of the direction that the props turn. If you were to reverse the direction that the prop turns (clockwise/counter clockwise) it would scoot to the right instead. Increasing head speed and being high enough off the ground wii eleviate this problem. If it still wants to bank left while a few feet off the ground, then you'll want to trim it.

But scooting left while on the ground, starting to get to take off speed, is completely normal.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
kaamacat

Great.......... I was wondering if some of it had to do with any ground effects and rotor rotation (at a base level on carpet)...........very helpfull...thanks!!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
kaamacat

just got the training gear (and "crash kit")............. anyting interesting I want to know about how the orange pumpkins go on?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
WhtBronco

My buddy used fuel line on each side of the orange ping pong balls to hold them on. It's worked quite well.

After the 4 in 1 unit iitializes try moving the throttle trim all the way up. The motors will start to move a bit, but it a good bit more stable in hover due to higher head speed, especially with training gear on it.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 PM
kaamacat

Stupid question here.......mounted, the balls are about 1/2 off the ground.........is that how its supposed to be. (aka....training, meaning they are only supposed to touch the ground Just-In-Case)............. (Unless its me, I had to melt my brain a small while to figure out how the things connected....)
Old 08-03-2005, 03:36 PM
kaamacat

So your also saying not to leave throttle trim all the way down, only for initialization of 4-in-1? (or is that just to raise it with the training balls because of the extra weight?)?................(now to the experienced folks this probably sounds comical)
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
deli_conker

I always keep my throttle trimmed down for safety reasons. It flies fine with it down.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Tanner Hall
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: deli_conker

It scoots left because of the direction that the props turn.
yes and no. the left drift is actually caused by the tail rotor. the tail counteracts motor/engine torque to prevent yaw, but in so doing, it pushes the entire heli to the left for a RH rotation heli and to the right for a LH rotation heli.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
pawraith

is this also what causes the heli to lean while its in a hover?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
kaamacat

think what im gonna do is 2x check my balance (battery pack...etc) directly under the main rotor assembly...........i should be able to place the unit on a "make shift" point-stand of sorts.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Tanner Hall
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pawraith

the lean is actually created by the pilot. to counteract the left drift, the pilot has to input a little right aileron, whihc makes the heli appear to lean right in a stationary hover.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 PM
PJSims

In addition to Fore/Aft CG, think about Left/Right (or lateral) CG. When you install your battery, make sure it's centered left and right. If it's off to one side, it'll throw things off and accentuate a skid.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
kaamacat

thank you for the inputs.........
Old 08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
pawraith

ORIGINAL: Tanner Hall

ORIGINAL: pawraith

the lean is actually created by the pilot. to counteract the left drift, the pilot has to input a little right aileron, whihc makes the heli appear to lean right in a stationary hover.
ok, that helps, but is there a way to build a heli that doesnt lean in a hover? from what i've seen, full scale helis dont have any lean, or at least none that i can see anyways.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
nixy

Hueys have the tail rotor centre coincident with the plane of the main rotor disc. This configuration ensures there's no tendency for roll in the hover.

Cheers

Nick
Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 PM
kaamacat

Question........ Apox where do those of you with the BladeCP have your battery mounted with respect to the skids. (if viewed from the side)...........
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 AM
gway17

Some good comments.
I would agree with getting trimmed. Follow the suggestions and it will work.
Also, I wouldn't run this indoors until you can hover comfortablly. It just reacts too quickly.

When it is trimmed pretty close, and the rotor is spinning like made and just when it looks like it wants to get up, give it jus a little more pwr and get it off the ground. When its on or real close to the ground, it will tilt any which way and you cannot control it that close. If its in the air, you can control it better and you'll have a little wiggle room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.