Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

OMP and the Tornado

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
JRFisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP and the Tornado

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the new RTF Tornado that OMP is selling?

I've never flown heli before and I thought this might be an inexpensive way to try it out.

All input will be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: OMP and the Tornado

The Tornado nobody has seen yet, we just got them in. But these helis are super stable and as tough as they come. For learning they are perfect and come with many safety features to make them last a long time. Just watch the video on the tornado page, that will sum it up.

Any questions, let me know.

www.ohiomodelplanes.com/tornado
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 AM
STLPilot

The Tornado's and parts are now in stock and shipping if you backorderd.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Ahab

I am also curious for exactly the same reasons as JRFisher - It looks great on the OMP site, but does anyone have any independant reviews/experience of it?

- If the flight trainer that comes with it is a genuinely realistic 3d model of the "real" model I cant go wrong can I???
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a colco thunderbird. They are cheaper on ebay. I've had one and it is durable but a little sluggish. I didnt like it because of that, but to each his own.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 AM
STLPilot

This is not a Colco Thunderbird, it's an OMP Tornado. While these are made in the same factory the Tornado is a totally new monster now manufactured by TMPro, not Colco. Also it's a joint venture between OMP and TMPro to make sure that this heli is not just another knockoff, but something that is quality built with lots of original ideas and improvements.

For example, the radio has been upgraded MUCH better. Also both motors and several other features have been greatly improved to increase it's power, performance and durability. Even the tail section, for example is totally different. The new system is a spring loaded slip system that will not break if you strike the tail rotor against an object, it will slip, then lock back in place. The Colco Thunderbird was old news, this is totally new and completely redesigned. Yes you can get the Thunderbird cheaper, but you will not be getting a Tornado at all ... not even close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	311305  
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Stamper
My Feedback: (9)

JR Fisher, I am mainly an airplane guy that wanted to fly hleis in the house and my backyard when I couldnt get away to a field. My first heli was a smartech aerohawk. big mistake. This heli was junk and I couldnt control it. Or maybe it was me. I have since been flying a Lama XRB in the house mostly. great heli. I wanted to fly outside though in wind. I tried the Blade next. This was too squirrely for me but I'm not busting so many wooden blades anymore.
I just bought the Tornado and received it Monday night. I swear that right after charging the battery I took it up and trimmed it out a little bit and it flew so good I was amazed. The tail is rock solid. No wobbles, no tracking issues. It stays where you tell it. I flew the first pack in by basement and did not hit 1 wall. For me, that is truly amazing. I next flew it outside and it handled the wind very good also and it was fairly breezy. Very nice forward flight between my yard and the neigbors. The amazing thing was that I felt like I was in control the whole time. I even buzzed my upstairs bedroom window and freaked the wife out. The heli is very sturdy, and dare I even say this,,,just about as stable as my XRB. For a micro this is amazing. It is fixed pitched, so no major stunts. This heli is exactly what I was looking for though. I have spent almost as much money on parts for my Blade as I did for the Tornado. Try it, I promise you won't be sorry.

Scott
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Ahab

Stamper,

how does the Sim hold up to the real thing? - could a total newbie (like me) spend a few hours on the sim and then translate it fairly easily into the real world?
Personaly I am slightly less bothered how the heli flys in relation to others (as I have no frame of reference, and besides it sounds like you are saying it is pretty good) but how it relates to the sim.

and how about run/flight times? how long are you getting with the tornado?

Ahab
Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Stamper

The Sim will help you learn the basic maneuvers, such as left and right, hovering, landing and basic orientation. I highly suggest it for someone that has never flown a heli before. I did not use the sim at first with the tornado, but I was familiar with how the controls worked. I just stink at flying helis. What the sim won't help with is if your heli is out of trim on the first flight, giving right aileron when taking off, and ground effects. These you have to learn on your own.
What I can tell you about this heli so far is that flight wise, it is very stable. It moves around very well also. Forward flight is as easy as hovering. As for it's durability, the tail, landing gear and blades will be strong enough for a newbie to learn on. These were always the weak points on my first helis. The only concerns I had were the carbon boom, which all helis have, and the flight battery. It looks a little big and comes with a 2 hour charger. I used my regular battery charger on the battery and had it ready to fly in 20 minutes. I was able to hold a 10 minute hover outside with the stock battery. I think that is long enough for anyone to fly one flight without losing concentration. Also it is always a good idea to let the motors cool down.
I am just contemplating whether I should use 2 cell or 3 cell lipos. Maybe Dion can chime in and tell us if the electronics can handle 3 cells?

Scott
Old 08-17-2005, 02:47 PM
STLPilot

Lipos are not a problem, use em. I've gone 3 OMP batteries in a row ... about 30 minutes or more and no problem. It helps having the heat sinks already installed to keep the motor cooled.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Stamper

Thats great to hear. i dont like to go over 7-10 minute flights anyway, just for the sake of heating the motors, but knowing that the electronics can handle the power makes me even happier. [8D]