Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Battery dies after 2-3 flights

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Battery dies after 2-3 flights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Snow dust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dies after 2-3 flights

Hi I`m new to posting on this site but I have been reading posts for awhile now. I am very new to flying helicopter as I have had two different styles to play with. I started with a Concept 30DX but now I have raptors.

My question is I am running a Raptor 60 with a 401 and a S9254 on the tail and the rest of the servos are 9252`s( sorry besides the throttle). I also run a 3300 mh battery which only lasts two flights. Can I put two 3300 to prolong the flight or what? I still have anouther brand new battery that is exactly the same but the one I have in it is about 8 flights old.

I fly only once a month ( losts of crash time), but when I am aloud to fly I would like to fly for awhile.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 03:13 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Battery dies after 2-3 flights

Sounds like you either have a bad battery, aren't fully charging it, or you're flying the hell out of that thing! Another possibility is that you've got a servo that is pegging the limit of it's control linkage throw regularly, or you have a bad electrical component drawing excess current. Are you turning it off after every flight while you refuel and/or take a break? Did you set the GY401 limit pot to keep the tail rotor from hitting the throw limits?

I have the same setup in my Raptor 50V2 (GY401/S9254, 3x S9252s, 1x S9001, Futaba 9ch PCM RX), and I run a 2500mAh, four A cell, NiMH pack, and I get 4-6 flights out of it typically. Moving the 60 control linkages will probably suck a little more juice, but still I'd think you'd get at least 4-6 flights out of a 3300mAh pack!

Is that a 4 or 5 cell pack?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:26 PM
WhtBronco

Other thank Paul's suggestions another thought I have is whether or not you cycled the pack prior to use. I never used to di this either. Recently I started and have seen an increase of 1 flight per charge on all my packs as a result. I do not havea true battery cycler, just a discharger, called the Battery Bug from [link=http://www.hangtimes.com/]Hangtimes Hobbies[/link].

I was only getting 1-2 flights on my Raptor 50 V2 with all digital servos with the stock 1100mah pack. With my new 1950mah pack charged and discharged 3 times before first use I had 3 flights on it and still was showing 5.10v under 250mah load, then I had a boom strike.

I'd seriously look at servos stalling as well. When the servos stall out due to having more throw than mechanically possible to get from the pushrods you will drain the battery very quickly.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Snow dust

My limit is set on my 401 properly. All the servos are pretty new and with my battery moniter there is no disturbance when it is just sitting( telling me the servos aren`t shorting).

Yes I am turning it off inbetween flights. The 2700 battery I had in it before seemed to go really low ( indicator always in the red) after 1 and a half flights. That is why I went to the 3300. I used my triton to charge it the past two times and there was still no difference.

They are a four cell battery
Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Snow dust

No I haven`t cycled my battery. Maybe I will try that next.

I know I am not stalling out my servos. I checked that the very first time I only got the 2 flights out of my battery.

But the cycling is something I have to try after tonight. No time tonight want to go flying. Finally got all the parts I need to get her up in the air again

Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 PM
macsense
My Feedback: (1)

The issue may lie in your Triton Charger, did you set the peak sensitivity correctly? Previously I have such issues, and a lot of other problematic issues with Triton charger, & I decided to purchase another charger, that's when all goes well. May be you should use standard slow charger (comes with Radio), to charge the battery & if batt. is OK, then Triton charger is the problem.