Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Autos for us new guys (sims rule)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Autos for us new guys (sims rule)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:17 AM
ECStrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autos for us new guys (sims rule)

Just had my first auto last unexpectedly with great success. I bought a G2 sim when they first came out some years back to loan out to student pilots for fixed wing. I remember when my brother was learning heli's years ago and the cost of learning. Anyway I would play with the heli's when not being loaned out on occasion. As I got better I would turn off the gyro on the Switzer. Learning autos really saved my rear when the engine quite on my Raptor 50 last week as a result of a plug gone bad. That weekend I had someone help me learn them in the real world. I do a lot of flying heli's at home and do autos here now but did learn a head wind (10 to15+) is not good for autos as a result of my first crash with the Raptor 50. I have been flying a Trex since May 2005 and still crack it up on occasion as I was getting boared and had to start doing aerobatics. I did my first successful inverted flying with the Raptor a few weeks ago and got the new Trex XL and fly it inverted as well. I don't believe I will try to auto the Trex even though I have tried and the pucker factor was to high and bailed out every time. You get like no time when you throw the pitch in and head speed stops to quick. I am sure it can be done but will not try it just yet.

I am sure everyone has read about the sims and are sick of it but like all my friends wanting to learn the heli's now that I am flying them, still won't get the sim so they keep throwing money away on parts. Call me cheap but I am doing aerobatics as they are all still trying to hover tail in.

I wish I had my sim at the moment as it is out on loan to a gent that is handicapped and is doing very will with the heli's.

Just remember most instruction is pretty reasonable as all you need is a AMA card and join a local club that caters to heli's or what ever you are flying. Its macho to get help when needed as you will excel with a little guidance.

Lets go have some fun
Pat
Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Autos for us new guys (sims rule)

There's a good article on auto's on Ricks web site. Http://www.ronlund.com