Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Caliber .30 or Hawk Pro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Kyosho Caliber .30 or Hawk Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:55 PM
albajet_5256H
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Caliber .30 or Hawk Pro?

I'm seriously looking at my first nitro heli and i've decided to go with a .30 sized ship with a G401 gyro by Futaba (heard they're the best and are also user-friendly), an O.S. 32, a Futaba heli transmitter (6HX) and servos. First Question: I've been recommended the Hawk Pro (Century Heli) by a veteran heli pilot because it was the best value for the money and was well made and manageable, but I've also heard a lot of talk that the new Kyosho Caliber .30 is the !new best .30 sized trainer! I need someone with experience to help me here. Second Question: If I do go with the Hawk pro, it is available withe either an O.S. .32 or Webra .40 preinstalled. Which engine would you recommend? Again I thank you all in advance for helping me here. I've flown RC airplanes religiously since I was 13, and now after my first summer job has left me with some extra cash , I've decided to buy a heli and be taught by a veteran at the club field. I would really like to keep the tab below $600 for the Heli arf plus engine and gyro/ +1 digital servo for the tail. I've already bought my transmitter and servos. The suggestions are not limited to just these two particular helis. If you really think there is a better model, let me know!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Kyosho Caliber .30 or Hawk Pro?

This is only my opinion

I would go with the Raptor line, either the 30 or the 50. The reason I say that is because they are probably the most popular heli out there, you can find parts just about anywhere and you can find help just about anywhere (a lot of people have them). They are a great beginner heli and they will take you right into 3D flying when your ready (with no upgrades).
I wouldn't go with the OS 32 (mind you they are a great motor), their are just as good motors out there with a lot more power (OS 37, TT 39), trust me, you will want all the power you can get with a 30 size heli when you advance with your flying.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I second the nominiation for a Raptor 30. The OS32 will get you around, the 37 would be ideal. I'd stay away from the TT motors, they tend to be hit and miss whereas 99 percent of the os's run problem free and are easier to tune.

When your ready to buy check out Heliproz http://www.heliproz.com excellent customer service and free shipping on orders over 100 dollars.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I agree, it's hard to go wrong with a Raptor. I don't know anything about the Hawk Pro... I've heard that Century birds are pretty good though.

Personally, I have a Raptor 50V2, a Venture 30 CP with an OS .37 SZ-H ringed engine, and I'm training a guy with a Kyosho Caliber 30 with an OS .32 SX-H ringed engine. Of those three helis, I like the Raptor the best.... it has given me virtually zero problems, and flies great... I had to put some $$$ into upgrading the head on the JR to get it to fly well... the Kyosho is OK, don't have enough time on it to say much about reliability or performance, but I like the Raptor design much better.

I'd also recommend getting the OS .37 SZ-H ringed engine, and a better radio... a 7C or a 9C. OS engines are reliable and easy to tune... more power = more fun, so go with the .37... and a better radio will be easier to program, and last you much longer as you progress (i.e. you won't outgrow the radio as quickly, if at all).