Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What do you know about the Hawk Pro .30?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What do you know about the Hawk Pro .30?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
albajet_5256H
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you know about the Hawk Pro .30?

Im seriously considering buying an rc heli (.30 size) after my first summer job has left me with an extra $600 bucks even after my "RC Splurg" at the beggining of the summer. I've flown fixed wing RC since I was 13 at the local AMA sanctioned flying feild and will have the benefit of an instructor and flightsim (so don't worry, I grasp the idea that these are not toys and that Helicopters are perhaps the most challenging to fly and maintain). First Question: I'm seriously looking at the Hawk Pro .30 and I want to know what has been the experiance of those who owned/own one, are they built well, easy to maintain, etc. Second Question: If I do get the Hawk Pro .30 should I get the combo with the Toki .40 and muffler (is it a good value for the price?) or just buy an O.S. 37 seperate as I've decided the O.S. 32 is a nice engine but that I'll need more power. Third Question: I've already got a Futaba heli transmitter and 4 ball bearing servos and plan to use a GY401 gyro, but should I spend the extra money and get a digital servo for the tail or should I just use the normal ball bearing servo as It will be fine for basic flying? I thank you all in advance for your input on this matter and I really respect your opinion, but I've already decided against the Raptor line of heli's! However, If you do think I'll really do better with another model, please let me know.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: What do you know about the Hawk Pro .30?

The hawk pro is a nice helicopter for the price. I would see what is being flown in your area and parts being available. The raptor is a good helicopter and asking these types of questions will usually get a brand war going. what type of flying do you plan on doing? A digital servo would be your best choice in the tail rotor. the gy401 is a good gyro. have flown the hawk series for a while now and mostly fly scale so the hawks are great for fitting in a fuse. The 32 is a nice engine, but the 37 to me is an awesome engine for the money. I have not flown the toki 40 yet. The 37 likes to suck the nitro though. I do not think you will be disapointed with the hawk pro starting out as your first heli. take care mike
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I've heard some bad things about the Tokis... never owned one myself, though. I do have an OS .37 SZ-H ringed engine... it's a great running, easy to tune engine... it's the only engine I'd get for a .30 sized heli (like you said, the .32 is a little wimpy, and I've heard TT engines can be difficult to tune). I'm definitely biassed towards OS, though... that's all I fly because they run great, and I've never had a problem with one...
Old 08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

First the Hawk is probably on par with any plastic helicopter in its price range.

The 401 is a great gyro, arguably the best on the market for its price. It will work with a standard servo, it will work markedly better with the correct digital servo. If you elect to purchase a standard or hitech or some other servo ensure that you turn DS mode OFF or you will burn up servos.

The OS line of engines run trouble free for the most part and you will be very happy with its power output but like Mike says, they burn their share of fuel to produce that power.

I'm curious as to why you've ruled out the Raptors? There's a reason they are the most popular. Parts and help are everywhere. If its money your trying to save, let me save you a little money and a lot of aggrivation. In R/C helicopters, more than any other facet of the hobby IMO you get what you pay for. Going cheap gets you frustration. Not to say you need the Lexus of helicopters and the best digital servos but you need to set reasonable expectations. When you purchase take into account broken blades, spare parts, fuel et all. These things need constant care and maintence to fly trouble free and that takes money. If you dont have the money to keep it in the air, save yourself the aggrivation.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Lee G

I have just built one. They are an easy to assemble kit, but allow a bit of extra time to get things right. Dont put the exaust on, when it says as you work through the chapters. Several other bits after require the remooval of it.
Im hoping the shop can pre flight mine today so I get a chance to break it down the club this weekend or it will be another couple of weeks until I can try and break it again.
The only thing that broke dureing building was a ball joint for one of the servo arms. They seem a bit on the flimsy side, I would imagine, one hard landing and a couple will need replacing.
Im just starting out on these things, so I have no experience at all.

Godd luck if you decide to get one
Old 10-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Sad Panda EH

yes getting my new Hawk pro for $645 nice price eveything i need with CN1000C1 Hawk Pro .30 Helicopter with OS .30 Engine
CN2018 PG2000 IIR Version 2 Remote Gain Piezo Gyro
JRP6647 JRP6647 JR 6102 FM Air / Heli 4xS537 Digital Servos and MD2 Receiver
BMS-621 High-Speed Standard Size Servo JR/Hitec less than a week looks sweet with the os 30 engine i no its a 30 but nice deal