Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Got an E-flite Blade CP...Need a lil help..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Got an E-flite Blade CP...Need a lil help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 PM
dmcblaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an E-flite Blade CP...Need a lil help..

Hi... Im just learning to fly this thing. Ive never flown before.. Im having trouble getting it to hover straight. If your standing behind it it wants to take off to the right. The tail also wants to spin to the right. Ive messed with the trim for the rear rotor and that didnt seem to help...then i tried adjusting the proportional trimmer pot and that seemed to help a little bit. The tail starts to spin before it takes off but once it lifts off a few inches it wants to pull to the right. So what do i need to do to make it hover straight? It should hover straight without touching anything else right?

Im gonna be training myself with a few tips from the guys at the hobby shop. Im thinking once i can get it to hover i will practice going forward then stop and repete the process...then practice turning with the tail rotor then practice on left to right controls...Ive seen a guys website on how to fly a heli and he had similar way of teaching. I know the best bet would be to have a trainer hooked up to my controler but i think ill try it myself for a lil while. Any tips you guys could give me would be great. So what do i need to do to get it to hover....Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
dmcblaster

Default RE: Got an E-flite Blade CP...Need a lil help..

anyone?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:03 PM
thecheatscalc

the thing you're experiencing is the thrust from the rotor is pushing(pulling?) the helicopter to the right causing it to spin and move to the right. (that is WITH the main blades right?)

your gyro might be countering the wrong way try reversing it. if that's not it the pitch on it might be a bit too little, try increasing the tail rotor's blade's pitch. if that doen't do it check if you're controler's control sticks aren't leaning a bit. if that doen't solve it your tail motor could be shot.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dmcblaster

...It should hover straight without touching anything else right?...
No... you'll have to constantly steer the tail with these, especially when you initially lift off into a hover. The best you'll do is get it set up so that on a full charge and at a stationary hover, you'll need relatively little rudder input. As the battery voltage decreases, you'll have to provide more and more rudder input to keep it from rotating (or adjust the trim a little). As soon as you start flying around or increase the throttle from a stationary hover, you'll have to steer the tail, at least a little, to keep it where you want it. This is primarily due to the fact that the Blade has a cheap rate mode gyro, not a heading-hold gyro. The rate mode gyros will just stop the rotation of the heli as it occurs, while the heading-hold gyros will sense the rotation and correct for it (bring it back to the original position), maintaining a constant heading. With rate mode gyros, you need some revo mixing (aka "proportional" ) to help it hold the tail steady, while with heading hold gyros, you don't want any revo at all.

It's a little tricky getting the gain and revo mixing set up just right. If you can't hover a heli yet, it's almost impossible. I don't remember what the Blade manual says exactly, but typically: first you set your rudder trim to center and set the proportional to a mid setting, and hover it... adjusting the gain up until the tail wags, and then back off a little. Next you leave your rudder trim centered, and hover it, adjusting the revo or "proportional" setting until the tail stays fixed with almost no rudder input. Remember that you have to power down the blade to have the new gain and proportional settings take effect... so you have to do a lot of plugging/unplugging of the battery while you fiddle around dialing it in just right...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
PJSims

Before flying, try to pre-set your trims to help.

Here's what I do: Get light on the skids and see what the heli wants to do. Set it back down, and adjust trim accordingly. If it wants to slide to the right, add a little left cyclic trim. Same thing if it wants to move forward...add a little aft cyclic trim. As a rule, I also have some left rudder trim in when I start a new battery.

Get light on the skids again and see if your adjustments have helped.

Remember, you will have to continuosly make minor inputs on the sticks to get it to hover.