Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

12v power sources for chargers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

12v power sources for chargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:36 PM
stockcp2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v power sources for chargers

I don't have a wall plug for a EK2-0851 E-Sky DC-input 3cell Li battery Charger and it has the two "roach" clips on it in addition to the ac input. What options do I have for providing power to the charger? I figure I could use a car battery, maybe that would just take longer. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 12v power sources for chargers

I use a power supply unit (PSU) from an old computer. This is a regulated, conditioned power source.
Some PSUs require a load on the 5V line to keep the 12V line activated. An old hard drive plugged in to any plug on the PSU will do the trick.
I got a voltage tester, found which line was 12v (yellow if I recall corectly, but check) and shaved off some insulation to allow the clip to make contact. At a point furhter up the lines, I also shaved some insulation from a black wire and clipped the black aligator clip to that. The different positions keep my clips from touching and shorting out.

Great source that costs nothing!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
stockcp2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 12v power sources for chargers

Hey this is a great idea. I got a couple PSU's lieing around with nothing to do. I think I even saw a pic of where a guy modded the casing on one a bit to add plug holes on the case itself. I didn't think anything about that. You just saved me about $20+ that should make you feel good =) hehe. Thanks again.