Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for my first Heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking for my first Heli

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first Heli

I'm interested in learning to fly rc helicopters. I fly rc planes now and also have some nitro cars and trucks. I perfer nitro over electric but I want to get whatever is best to start with. The club I currently fly at doesn't have anyone who flies helicopters, should I try to find a club that does or just practice alot with a sim first (how is realflight #3?). The few qualities I want in a heli are quality, ease of use for beginner but not boring once I learn and availability of replacement parts. I currently fly my planes with a Futaba 9c, plane version, I think the only difference in the heli version is the throttle doesn't rachet. Is it a problem to use this radio? Thanks, If you're near Richmond Va and want to help a new heli pilot out please let me know. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:39 PM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Looking for my first Heli

I have a used JR Venture CP30 that I bought on Ebay.After rebuiliding it and resetting the transmitter,it is now one of the most stable choppers Ive ever owned.It flies with only the right stick!!I know everybody loves the Raptor and ,because I have ZERO experience with them,I have nothing to say about them.
BUT,you can get a used JR Venture for a song.GOOD LUCK!
Joe
Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badazzbusa,
Your 9c will suit your goals just fine. Most heli pilots that use the 9CH open the case and disable the ratchet. (Fuel tubing, i think) Your transmitter also differs from my 9CH in that the trainer switch is swapped to the other side (and mine defaults to a heli on a new model, where yours defaults to a plane).
Realfight G3 is great. you will want to put in a lot of time on that. Hovering, nose in hovering, low slow figure 8's. All exercises to get your brain used to makeing the proper corrections in flight. Realflight G2 and Reflex XTR are also great.
My brother is the nitro heli pilot in the family. Hirobo shuttle 30 is what he got. Used. He probably put more money into it before he flew than he would have with a new heli. He has had TONS of success. The Hirobo line or the Raptor line would serve you well.
Take a look through the AM website to look for other clubs in the area. Finding other heli pilots, even if it is a bigger drive, will be a big bonus for your first flight.
Vince
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

The 9CH the idle up and throttle hold switches are opposite the 9CA. This is minor but you'll have to give anyone that helps you a heads up. The throttle ratchet can be disabled by removing the back and flipping over the spring clip and reinstalling it. Also the H version ships with better servos and a bigger battery and thats the main price difference.

Be careful if you've never programmed a heli, some of Futabas defaults are a little strange.

Also be warned. The G3 takes a fairly hefty computer setup. My year old ATi Radeon video card, top dawg when I bought it wont even let the game start. I'm headed out today to drop 300 bucks on a new video card.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the tips. I will definitly seek some help. Glad I can use my 9c, that's a big savings. I already have a larger aftermarket nimh transmitter battery and with Vinces advice will be using a pcm receiver and digital servos. I've learned with planes, don't go expensive on the plane and engine and go cheap on radio gear. Thanks!