Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Newb wanting to start flying!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newb wanting to start flying!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:19 AM
muddin2deep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb wanting to start flying!

ok i have no experience SP* with flying of anyhting rc but i want to get into helis i want something for indoor/outdoor use but not to expensive like around 100 to 125 or less and electirc. any suggestions ive looked at the megatech megachopper but they look gay! Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Newb wanting to start flying!

i want to get into helis i want something for indoor/outdoor use but not to expensive like around 100 to 125 or less and electirc.
The helicopter hobby is not a cheap hobby, it's pretty much like anything else you buy, you get what you pay for. It's pretty hard to get into the heli hobby for $125. I think you will find it's a lot more expensive then that by the time you get a good flying heli. Those cheap little micro helis are exactly that, "CHEAP".
Old 09-05-2005, 08:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Yep, its like buying a dog you can't afford to feed.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:40 AM
muddin2deep

i just want something to fly around my yard and house thats why i dont want to spend alot on it.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Oh yes, that's where it all starts. Everyone here just wanted something to "fly around their yard"

Next thing you know, you're hopelessly addicted, spending your nights surfing ebay trying to snag deals, browsing online helicopter stores untill your eyes are bloodshot, and posting on these forums just for the sake of posting. Next thing you know, you've spent $1500 on a nice helicopter, you've got a $250 transmitter, your wife hates you, your dog bites you, and your own children won't even look you in the eye. You're broke, you can't feed your self, but that doesn't matter, because you've got your helicopter, damnit.

Take my advice, stay away while you can.. stay far..far...away...

Old 09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

credence I wish that I could say that was all I had spent man this hobby will put you in the poor house and divorce court all at once and all you can do is stand there with a blank look on your face and a over extended credit card in your hand[&:]!!!BUT GOD is it fun!!!!!!!!!!!And if you can get started in this hobby for $100.00 to $125.00 I wish some one would tell me how?I spent over $500.00 on my first bird and even more since.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
muddin2deep

what about the megatech chopper the one thats like 100.00 i know rc hobbies can cost alot i already have my mini t with about 200.00+ in it. My rc10gt with about 400.00 in it and all i want s something to fly im not going to get serious in this hobby i just want to fly around and have fun!........... What about a dragon fly??? and if so where could i find one at a good price?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Oud31

I've got a Hummingbird V3 that is surprisingly durable and pretty cheap heli, I think it was around $250 new. The small electrics are neat but are a handfull for a beginner. I started with a 30 size and worked up to loops, rolls, flips, and then bought my hummingbird. I could barely hover it at first, so they are very challenging but fun
Old 09-05-2005, 10:06 PM
muddin2deep

i just want a helichopter that i can fly outside and inside that is cheap i dont want to get super serious into this im more into cars than anyhting else so just help me here!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Sawdust48.5

Anything you get for 125 new is going to be junk! Like oud32 said about 250 for a hummingbird.
You should consider a flight simulator. Real Flight G2 is a good way to find out if you like flying heli's. If you like it, G2 is a great way to get used to flying heli. It will save you aloy of money.
Crashing cost with G2 00.00 crashing heli $$$$$$$$$$$ plus all your down time
Old 09-06-2005, 01:26 AM
credence

Yeah, this hobby sucks, I should've stuck to flying my foamies, atleast if I crashed those, a little epoxy and I was back at the flying field with time to spare, and no holes in my pockets.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Sawdust48.5

credence, this hobby is great. crashing sucks I was at a fly field yesterday. Several planes and helicopters. Number of airplanes that went into the dirt or trees: 3.
1 was totaled, 1 sustained a little wing damage the third plane, no damage.
Number heli's crashed: 0. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: muddin2deep
i just want a helichopter that i can fly outside and inside that is cheap i dont want to get super serious into this im more into cars than anyhting else so just help me here!
You have to be pretty serious if you want to fly RC choppers... it will take a good deal of time just to learn to hover... and it will proabably cost you some $$$ and time in crash rebuilds to get there.

RC choppers aren't like RC cars... with cars, you can buy a cheap one to bash around your house or yard... the cheap ones aren't any harder to drive than the more expensive ones. With helis, the cheap ones don't fly well at all, and are extremely difficult to learn on.

You will not get into RC choppers for $125 or less...