Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

looking to buy my first helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

looking to buy my first helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:42 PM
divergoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy my first helicopter

I really want to get into r/c helis. I want something I can fly in my garage or outside on a calm day so it looks like electric is the way to start. I was thinking of getting the rotofly by Heli-Max. It looks like a good ship to learn the basics of flying. I would really love your input, since I know really nothing about R/C helicopters. Thanks a lot!!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Charlie

Default RE: looking to buy my first helicopter

Some people get the wrong impression about micro helis, trust me, you won't be flying it around your garage. It takes a lot more room then that (unless your a "real" good pilot). They aren't made for inside the house, they are made for large gymnasiums or outside if there is no wind.
In my opinion if your going to get into the heli hobby, do it right the first time. I might get some bashing for saying this, but micro heli arn't the way to go. They are more of a pain in the ***** then they are worth. By the time you get it flying the way it should, you have enough money tied up in it that you could have a nice nitro heli.
My personal opinion, you should go with a 30/50 nitro heli, you won't be sorry you did, and you will progress with your flying a lot faster then you would with a micro.
Keep in mind when buying a micro heli (or anything in the RC hobby), you get what you pay for. You buy something cheap, chances are pretty good that it is cheap. If you really want to get a micro heli, make sure you do lots of research, their are a lot of micro helis out there that are junk.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Sawdust48.5

Very well put Charlie![sm=thumbup.gif]
A Raptor 30 or 50 is a very good way to go. They are very popular. Parts are relatively cheap and are easy to find. Get an os engine. The tt engine are hit and miss. They can be a real pain in the *****.[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 09-06-2005, 11:36 AM
syclic

If you are looking for a great 30 size trainer you cannot go wrong with the new Hawk Pro and an OS 37 engine. Great combo at a relatively great price.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Stay away from fixed pitch micro electrics (like the RotoFly)... they are pretty much the most difficult helis to fly. Starting with a .30 - .50 sized nitro is the easiest route, IMO. If you insist on getting a micro electric, though, stick with collective pitch helis... the Shogun 400 or T-Rex would be the most stable and easiest to fly of the micros... the Blade CP is probably the cheapest RTF CP micro electric, but it will be one of the most difficult CP helis to learn on...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Dezynco

Check out the Ikarus Eco 8. It's a nice size and will fly outdoors. I'm new at this also, but hovered first try - I didn't have any luck with the micro heli (Piccolo). Of course I spent a few weeks on the simulator first. Be sure that your radio has a 90 degree swashplate setting, it will save you some frustration in programming the radio. Also get the autorotation main gear as soon as you can, will save you money by not getting the teeth stripped off.

I prefer electric instead of fuel also, but that's just a personal 'druther. One less thing to fool with - making an engine run - in addition to everything else you have to learn....

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
divergoff

Well thanks guys, Due to $$$ i would prefer to go with an electric helicopter to learn in. I realized that none of them will be "easy" to fly but I would like a good trainer. I am no against the idea of a .30 or .50 sized helicopter if the price is right, also I would like something that already has a radio installed, So any suggestions??
Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Any nitro helicopter will also have a much steeper learning curve compared to most smaller ready to fly electrics.

There is nothing wrong with small micros. If you go from trying to fly a 30 size (and up) CP helicopter to a small fixed pitch micro, then yes, you will have trouble, because the reflexes needed for both aren't even close. This is the main reason most nitro pilots hate small fixed pitch helicopters, because they're unable to control them when they're so used to flying bigger and more stable machines.

However, if you start off on a micro electric (and many, many pilots do) you have less pre-conceptions to "un-learn" so to speak. If you can fly a small fixed pitch micro, you can fly just about any RC helicopter out there. In this regard, micros are some of the best possible trainers as they really teach heavy hand eye coordination, helicopter movement anticipation, and quick reflexes. On the flip side, because they are MUCH more difficult to control compared to larger models, the initial learning curve can be alot harder before you reach your first hover.

In the end, it really depends on what you want from the hobby. I fly my micro around in my room and in my garage all the time, and take it outside when theres no wind. I also have a larger 30 size electric (eco-8) that I use when i'm outdoors and want something stable and good for aerobatics and good forward flight.
Don't let people talk you out of micro electrics as they can be alot of fun. Not to mention you can fly them without pissing your neighbours off.

I don't think you're going to find any ready to fly mid to full size helicopters, even electric, unless you buy used kits from people selling off their stock. Anything over the micro range seems to come in kit form or ARF form only.

Now, if you're looking at the electric route, it depends very much on your budget and what you want. In the fixed pitch range, you can get RTF kits for under $120 USD, some work better than others, most still require setup and tweaking before attempting to fly them from the factory. If you've got a bit more money, you can try something like the Shogun, X400, or T-rex, these are all collective pitch machines, they're bigger than the smaller fixed pitch micros, but are more difficult to setup and understand, and will also have a steeper price, as not only will you require the kit and the electronics that go with it, but also a computer helicopter radio. Of course, they're also highly aerobatic machines and more stable than fixed pitch helicopters.

If you want something good for learning on, and you're not set on future aerobatics or anything, the Hirobo XRB is probably one of the best trainers. The good thing about this helicopter is that it's extremely stable, and handles more akin to larger 30 size helicopters than most of the small fixed pitch micros. It's a bit more expensive than other fixed pitch birds, but is also one of the highest reccommended from what i've seen here. If you're a patient fella, you can try some of the newer Walkera V2 #4 Dragonflys, they usually require some setup from the box as Walkera build quality usually isn't very good, but the helicopter is extremely cheap (sub $100) and comes with everything you need to fly, including the TX, etc. It's just important to find a seller who's reliable and is willing to send refunds or replacements in the event something is terribly wrong with the helicopter when you get it.

If you want something (easier) to fly and is aerobatic capable, the E-Flite Blade is probably one of the most popular collective pitch helicopters available right now, and is RTF from the box for about $200. There is alot(!) of options out there, each one suited to what you may or may not want. Have a look around the electric heli forums, you're bound to find something that catches your eye.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM
thecheatscalc

well you could go electric... they ARE harder to fly but if you get the hang of it flying a nitro would be a breeze. personally I like electric as the fuel is much cheaper, so I'm going to be a bit biased towards electric (as they're bised towards nitro, (no insult intended))

PS: building on credence I'd suggest the 36/TRex/ark x400/any electric with a belt driven tail.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to chime in...
I am not bashing what Charlie and the others said. They make a lot of good points and offer a lot of good advice. But I think that they are doing a disservice to many who want to start out, and who could appropriately start out with an electric heli.
A garage is a great place to teach yourself to fly an electric heli, and a FP electric has a lot of advantages, mostly its robustness.

There are advantages and disadvantes to both Electric and Nitro helis.

Nitro Advantages:
Nitro helis are typically bigger, and so are much more stable than the micro electrics.
Nitro helis easily allow for long flight times, both in the duration of a single flight, and in the turn around time between flights.
Nitro helis can easily, and with known good solutions, be made wildly acrobatic.

Nitro Disadvantages:
Noise. You only fly at a club field, when you can take the time to drive there. (I know, some people live far enough out from civilization that this is not a problem, but the majority live where you cannot fly nitro birds)
Finicky nitro engines – I am convinced that this is an art form, not a science. I have watched many VERY experienced modelers struggle to get an engine running, only to have it stall in flight. Many times.
Large amount of field equipment needed – Starter motor, starter battery, fuel pump, fuel, tools, rags to wipe off the nitro slime (could not help myself with that last one)

Electric Advantages:
Clean and silent – you can fly in your house, garage, back yard or city park without disturbing the neighbors.
Much more robust – a FP micro electric can be crashed a thousand times with only a few dozen requiring repairs
Cheaper repair costs when repairs are required

Electric Disadvantages:
Much less stable, making the already steep learning curve worse
Some models struggle for flight duration
Less known good solutions for high performance acrobatic models (but getting better fast)

There are probably more of these that I missed, but this is what I could think of off the top of my head. If there are any glaring holes, others will add to this list.

I could fly my FP Piccolo in a 3 foot x3 foot square. I am not a great model heli pilot. I AM a very proficient model heli mechanic. With any model heli, you must learn to be a mechanic. Electrics, with their small size magnify this need. Linkages must be friction free and slop free. Motor power is often marginal, so all the mechanics must be tweaked for optimum performance. (this is less a factor now that Lithium Polymer batteries and brushless motors are popular)
I do fly my CP T-Rex heli at the park. It is closer to Nitro helis when it comes to some of the Advantages/Disadvantages I listed above. It does require repairs almost every time I crash (which happens all too often) Repairs for the T-Rex average less than $20. (the Piccolo is less, and the Nitro is more like $75, per crash)
And it also does have way more stability than my Piccolo. And it is less stable than my brother’s nitro 30, which is less stable than his nitro 50 (and so on).
The T-Rex is one of those electric models that is a new known good solution for higher performance in electrics.

Now, off of my soapbox, and on to your needs:
What is your budget like?
Can you afford a sim?

Vince
Old 09-06-2005, 07:38 PM
mdmrider

I don't know if I got agood one or not/ but I bought a e-flight bladecp and was hovering 2 days 3 sets of blades later for 219.oo you cannot get anything better. mdm.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
divergoff

Well once again you guys have been a lot of help and have talked me out of the Rotofly. I think that I am gonna go with the Blade CP. It seems to have only good reviews, and something that I can progress in as my skill improves. Also probably going to invest in a sim. Once again thank you soo much for all your help.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 PM
lowflyer101

i 2 months old heli pilot..i don't know why most guy prefer nitro gas heli, from my experience with gas rc planes, it need lot of care taking, starter, gas....plus it take room to move around the house to the field, am i right? that why my first heli is a trex 450 xl/ cde. well this package is not recommend for beginner but with friendly help of helihobby.com make the learning is easy than most other beginer think... beside there is no oil mess, noise or other common stuff you usually see is gas powered rc....so go for electric heli..x 400 or trex...can handle wind well for outdoor flying