Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Complete beginner questions (and you thought you were in trouble!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Complete beginner questions (and you thought you were in trouble!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
brewdog67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete beginner questions (and you thought you were in trouble!!)

I am completely new to the RC world and and purchased a Blade CP. Can someone explain the various terms? For example, what is the aileron roll control? What is its purpose (left/right and forward/backwards)? Is this the smaller blade on top of the big blade? What does the big blade do - only provide lift or direction also? Is there a "basic" beginners guide anywhere? What is the best way to learn to "fly/hover" by yourself? Can you make your own training wheels with wooden dowels? What do the various slide controls on the remote do (the ones below and beside the two sticks)?

Thanks for any and all help!!
Paul
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
cruzmissile

Default RE: Complete beginner questions (and you thought you were in trouble!!)

well... I'm no expert but The manual should tell you some of the fuctions to the heli.

what is the aileron roll control?
This controls the heli in left/right movements.

Is this the smaller blade on top of the big blade?
The smaller blades are called paddles. They control the left/right, forward/aft (backward) movements. They do this by changing the blade angles. This test should only be done below the 50% throttle control. When the blades are turning you can see the paddles turning with the controls of the transmitter. For example when you push forward on the elevator controls the paddles will angle forward. And this will do it all the way around depending on what imput you command.

What does the big blade do
On this model the big blades provide the lift for the helicopter. It also creates some directional control.

Can you make your own training wheels with wooden dowels?
Yes you can.

What do the various slide controls on the remote do (the ones below and beside the two sticks)?
Those are called your trim tab controls. They aid in fine tuning the aircraft while it's in the air. Anytime the heli wants to continually move forward without any of your input, you can adjust the forward tendency by adding back trim to the elevator controls. The elevator controls are for your forward and back movements.

What is the best way to learn to "fly/hover" by yourself?
I've found a really good website that teaches you how to fly by yourself.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

The navigation tabs to the left show what you should be doing during certain fright trainings. I find that if you stick to his instructions you should have less crashes than just trying to it on the first day.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Paul,
It sounds like you could use a read through the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342744]EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide[/link]
Vince
Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
brewdog67

Thank-you for the great responses - it really helps. If you guys or anyone else has tips or other info, please post it and I will TRY to put together something for others like myself.

Thanks again!!
Paul
Old 09-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Dezynco

Paul,
You really need to spend time on a simulator if you have access to one. There is a free sim on the web called FMS that is ok. A simulator like Aerofly Pro from IPACS is excellent, but will cost you about $150.00, but will save you a LOT of money, and save it very quickly! I've already spent $150.00 on minor repairs and I spent a great deal of time on the sim before I even bought a helicopter!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:13 PM
brewdog67

I noticed the control for the Blade CP has a place for a plug on the back, is this to hook it up to a comp. for a sim program? Where can you get the plug for it and what is the most similar sim to the blade CP?

Thanks!!
Paul
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
gfxartist

Here is a place that sells computer adapter cables for the Blade CP transmitter:

http://www.milehighwings.com/usb_cables.htm

I have not done business with these people, nor have I used the FMS simulator (I use the RealFlight G3 simulator), so I can't comment on how well the Blade transmitter works with FMS.

BTW, I also have a Blade CP and I also strongly urge you to to learn on a simulator first. It is not easy for a beginner to fly the Blade- especially in anything but calm air. Also, if you haven't seen the Blade product bulletins from Horizon Hobby, you should check these out. Especially the one dealing with the "sticky collective" fix. (Scroll down to the section labeled Blade Grips)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLH1100

There is more detailed info and photos about the collective problem in a thread at the Blade CP forum at RunRyder.com http://runryder.com/helicopter/t184463p1/ My Blade had the problem- the fix involving reversing the order of some washers and spacers on the spindle. If your Blade had the reversed parts, it is possible that during flight, increasing the collective control will not seem to seem to have much effect and then suddenly the collective will kick in, lifting the heli abruptly. Not good, especially for a beginner...

Good Luck!

JB
Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 AM
brewdog67

Thanks for all of the help so far! My tail rotor motor will sometime surge and come back to its previous speed - it is much more noticable as the battery loses charge. Is this normal? If not any ideas how to fix?

Thanks again,
Paul