Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

OS 50 SXH problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 AM
woosh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 SXH problems

I just can't get my engine to run right after I crashed a couple weeks ago. My Raptor 50 went in hard and broke the servo horn on the throttle causeing the throttle to go to max. By the time I got to the heli it had run out of fuel. I have checked everything I could think of but I can only get the engine to run when the low speed needle is set to about 1/4 turn out and the high speed needle out about 3/4 of a turn. I get the heli in the air and after about 45 seconds it starts to loose power telling me that my mixture is to lean. I turn the needls to where I think they should be ( out about 1/2 to 5/8 on the low speed and 1 1/2 to 2 on the high speed and it starts and idles fine but at about 1/4 throttle it starts to spit and sputter and will probably die. Sometimes if I puch the throttle up it will get through that rough area ( about 1/4 to just below 1/2 throttle and it will hover and run great at just above 1/2 throttle until it starts to lean out and loose power. Could I have damaged my engine when it continued to run at full throttle after I crashed? I'm lost.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: OS 50 SXH problems

Pull your tank and check (or replace) the clunk lines and make sure its bobbing freely. Check or replace all your fuel and pressure lines and make sure you have a good, leak free fit between your engine and muffler.

Check and tighten all the head bolts and backplate bolts. Check the carb to case seal, make sure nothing got broken there as well.

To answer your question, yes you could have caused damage by fuel starving at full throttle but you would probably get away with it once. If your unsure, pull the muffler and look at the piston for discoloration or scoring. If it looks ugly pull the head and see what the top of the piston looks like.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
woosh

Thanks, I won't get to it until next week. I hope it's nothing serious.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 AM
woosh

I think I found my problem, I took everything apart and found that I cracked the engine block around the mounting holes for the muffler, also the mounting flange for the muffler is not flat.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

That would do it.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
woosh

do I dare build some kind of a jig to grind the flange flat, or should I just buy a new block or engine? The cracks do not go all the way to the exhaust outlet. Also when I pulled the engine head there was a little dark spot on the piston around the edge, it's not a burn hole. Is this ok? I never took apart my engine before, do I need to assemble it with a new head gasket or can I re-use the old one?