Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

'Co-Pilot' Infrared Flight Stabilization System

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

'Co-Pilot' Infrared Flight Stabilization System

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 07:31 PM
pmartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Co-Pilot' Infrared Flight Stabilization System

Hi,

How's things? I'm new to RC Universe. I've got a Raptor V2, 30 size heli (just got it last year) and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the 'Co-Pilot' Infrared Flight Stabilization . Does it work or is it something I should stay away from? Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Paul
Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Sawdust48.5

Default RE: 'Co-Pilot' Infrared Flight Stabilization System

I know hobbico has an afs (automatic flight stabilization) system for a plane, butt never heard anything about a system for heli's.
What exactly is it?
If you'r concerned about being a newbey to heli's, get realflight g2 or g3 ...or reflex flight simulator. If you get real flight G2, get add on #3. This add on has the raptor 30 and 60. Sims are a must to learn how to fly heli's. Unless you have lots of money and time to repair heli after numerous crashes.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

well I have the Co pilot system that is supposed to be used for either airplane or Heli. even though I think it is a good tool, it does teach you some bad habits. I have not tried it on a Heli but I have had it installed on an airplane and coming out of a turn when I would let go of the stick it would automatically bring the plane back level instead of me having to add the opposite aileron to level it out myself. and the same thing for the elevator when you were making turns you could actually omit pulling up elevator in turns as it would do that for you . As you can see I thought it was a good tool but as I was already decent at flying airplanes I was able to tell that if I started out with the thing it could have taught me some bad habits
Old 09-17-2005, 11:48 PM
pmartin

Hey,
Thanks for your response. Yes it can be used for heli's too. The afs is just an electronic gadget that has infrared heat sensors that recognizes the difference between the heat emitted from the ground and the heat in the sky. It's hooked up in series through the servos and when calibrated and trimmed properly will actually hold the heli in a hover when the sticks are released and allowed to center if the pilot (usually a beginner) should lose control of the helicopter. I can see how it would be great for preventing crashes but I just gotta fine tune it. Yes I have the Realflight G2 version and ya it's a great tool for beginners and your absolutely right...they are a definite must for beginners. Thanks again for your response, much appreciated.

Paul
Old 09-17-2005, 11:49 PM
pmartin

Ok...great. Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old 09-18-2005, 07:12 PM
woosh
My Feedback: (1)

Save your money, I had a co-pilot system installed on my Raptor 50 and in my own oppinion it's not worth the money. Spend it on fuel and getting help. In one instance the co-pilot even caused a crash for me. Not totally the co-pilots fault but if you are to try to fly without the co-pilot system then be sure to turn the system off. If you don't use the system and don't calibrate the sensor and then forget to turn the system off it could lift off the ground and come hard over backwords and crash like what happend to me, it happend so fast I didn't have a chance to recover it. Again not totally the co-pilots fault but just something to think about.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
pmartin

Hey, thanks for your response. I've already purchased the co-pilot and was trying it out yesterday. I was trying to lift off and could see it was going to pull straight backwards on me once it got air born so I reduced throttle and disconnected it (the swashplate was not completely level). I figured I should get someone who knows what they are doing...same old story just trying to save some money by doing it myself. I just started with RC Heli's last year and can hover, do small figure 8's and was flying in circles around myself tonight but still have the odd crash. Even though I'm very coordinated and catch on to things relatively fast I find the whole thing very frusterating at times and wonder if I'm wasting my time and money. I guess what I'm experiencing is quite normal for beginners. Do you enjoy the hobby or are you ready to pack it in like I feel like doing some time? I'm not sure what to do...sell it or keep going? Have you taken lessions from a proffessional? I'd really appreciate some encouragemement (lol). Please respond. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 03:07 AM
radobahn

How does your swashplate respond when simulating different heli orientations? Before each flight I used to check the sensor/swash by holding my hand in front of certain windows. I'd cover windows on rear of sensor and make sure the swash tilted forward, cover left side swash tilts right...etc. Every single step in setting up the Co-pilot is very important...especially calibrating at the field. I hot glued a level to the top of the Co-pilot sensor to be sure the heli is perfectly level for calibrating.

I'd start over and setup again from scratch. If your using an open, flat area check to make sure your sensor isnt reacting to the heli itself...usually exhaust heat from the muffler. Good luck..
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
pmartin

I'll try it again...thanks for your help. Have a good day.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
pmartin

Hi,
How's things? Just by the way your talking you had some success with the 'Co-Pilot'. Is that true? Have you figured out how to fine tune it to hold a hover? If so I'd really appreciate some further pointers on how to get this thing to work. I thought I followed the instructions to the 'T' but the swash plate was on a slight back angle after calibration (I must be doing something wrong during the calibration stage, does the boom have to be perfectly level?...because that may not be the case during flight). I sure would appreciate your input if you'de be so kind. Have a great day.

Paul
Old 09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
radobahn

I had very good luck with the Co-pilot. With some patience, and fixing a couple minor problems my heli could almost hold a hover until it ran out of fuel. Like yourself I was well beyond hovering (including nose-in) and FFF, figure 8's..etc. I could fly 3D all day on a simulator, but chickened out at the field everytime...so I installed the system hoping to use it as a back-up or panic button to get over my fear of doing anything inverted. I'll share with you some things I tried that seemed to get things working really well... please remember that everyones setup is different and that this is what worked for me

-First of all dont ever give the Co-pilot total control of your machine. Assign the on/off function via a spare channel/switch from your transmitter and for your first try get some altitiude before flipping the switch.
-Where is your sensor installed? Please dont just tape/zip-tie the sensor on the tail boom like shown in the manual. I used an extra boom clamp that the horizontal tail fin normally bolts to and it worked great.
-Being perfectly level when calibrating is very important. I used a small level about the size of a quarter that solved alot of problems with the heli drifting.
-Start off with flight stabilization at the very minimum (minimum servo throw) give it a try and adjust from there. Eventually you'll need none at all which was my goal.
-Disable auto trim...enough said.

Give these a try and see how ya do...any problems and I'll do my best to help
Old 09-19-2005, 11:01 PM
pmartin

Hey...thanks so much for those great tips. I'll follow your instructions to the 'T'. I will probably contact you again for some final fine tuning help if that's alright?. Again...thanks. Have a great day.

Paul