Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

lama 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
gmam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lama 2

Help! I'm new to RC helicopters. I bought a Lama 2 because of all the positive info,and because it's supposed to hover so easily.Well, I've been trying for a week to hover but it always wants to go hard left and it rotates CCW nonstop. Any one got some advice for me? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:42 AM
drapam

Default RE: lama 2

What exactly are you doing?
I had same problems at the start but was not taking ground effect into consideration.
Had my wife stand upright with heli balanced in her palm, and throttle so that heli was just ready to lift-thus eliminating ground effect.
She was telling me what the heli was wanting to do, then I could fine adjust.
Have you practiced on a sim?
I struggled a lot and broke many blades untill I had some "stick" time under the belt on the sim.
CHAKA
Old 01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
gmam

Chaka thanks for replying,I'm aware of the ground effect. I'll try to explain what happens when I try to fly. Im not much of a writer. When it first lifts off and gets to about 5ft high and I think that I'm doing well at hovering (with the tail towards me)it will shoot off to the left like a rocket and I run out of room and have to set it down. While I fly around the garage the chopper rotates counter clockwise and I can't stop it ! Like I said in my first post I bought it to get started in helis and learn how to hover,but this thing does not like to hover.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM
drapam

Hi Gman,
Have you checked the tracking?
If you hold it in one hand, holding onto Battery just gently. Hold as high as possible just avoiding lift off.
See which LED is showing-presumably green. See in manual and adjust Pitch (angle) adjustment.
Seems strange that it only does this in the garage.
What about in the house? Any heaters running, aircons?
I took mine outside. Was a dead calm day, but, heli just took off sideways,backways you name it and I could not do a thing to gain control.
Eventually in exasperation I lit a cig. Immediately noticed that the smoke was blowing off level with the ground although not a leaf was moving on any bush or shrub or tree. Could not feel it on my face either.
Well that was a lesson to me.
Lama cant take any oposition.
Holding it as descvribed above, if it feels it wants to move left/right or turn or fwd/bkw adjust trims on your Tx. These will help to remind you what is wrong.
Otherwise if possible take it back where you purchased it and ask them to test it.
The sales chat for it is that every model is flown and tested before packaging. If it is not they must fix.
See how you get on.
CHAKA
Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
MikeMc

Central air? Make sure it's off or it will push your heli around.

If you can't trim out the yaw with the trim tab you can adjust that little pot on the rx. Note it must be done with it off or it will have no affect. Tiny adjustments only.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:28 PM
gmam

Thanks for answering, I've only flown it in the garage,(it was just built) so there are no currents or drafts.I bought this off Ebay from an RC dealer,it was an unopened box. There is not much of a manual that came with it. I've checked the blade tracking and think I know what I'm doing,they checked out fine. I'm going to try another set just for the heck of it. When I can get it to hover,before it takes off across the garage, I have full right trim and full up trim plus holding the lever full right and full up. Then it starts rotating CCW and shoots to the left. I'm sure some of this has to be me, I'm a total beginner. I just thought it would like to hover by it's self like in the videos I've seen. I think I might try adjusting the pot but I bet I make it worse! Thanks again guys!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:48 AM
yongary

I've been flying my lam2 for a month now. This is my first heli, too. it seems like you need to adjust the pot on the Tx. Try to turn right slightly to get it trimmed. also if you need full up trim plus holding the lever full up, you need to adjust the ball linke of the right servo.
here's a video clip of my lama
[link=http://media.putfile.com/my-lama-flying-in-the-house2]Click here[/link]

ORIGINAL: gmam

Thanks for answering, I've only flown it in the garage,(it was just built) so there are no currents or drafts.I bought this off Ebay from an RC dealer,it was an unopened box. There is not much of a manual that came with it. I've checked the blade tracking and think I know what I'm doing,they checked out fine. I'm going to try another set just for the heck of it. When I can get it to hover,before it takes off across the garage, I have full right trim and full up trim plus holding the lever full right and full up. Then it starts rotating CCW and shoots to the left. I'm sure some of this has to be me, I'm a total beginner. I just thought it would like to hover by it's self like in the videos I've seen. I think I might try adjusting the pot but I bet I make it worse! Thanks again guys!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 AM
DEFLYER22

[link=http://www.4-rc-helicopter.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=10&id=59&artlang=en]ESky Lama 2 RC Helicopter Tail Drifting Problem Solutions[/link]