Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Honey Bee gyro problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Honey Bee gyro problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:16 PM
barefoot_tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honey Bee gyro problem

I've started having problems with my Honey Bee CCPM. Regardless of the proportion or gain settings (yes, I know to unplug the power before doing this), the helicopter rotates at liftoff, even against full right rudder. Maybe the gyro is damaged; it's had a rough life. Is it possible to replace the receiver/4 in 1 on this helicopter with something that has a heading hold gyro? I think it would make life a lot easier for a beginner like me.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM
manu2005

Default RE: Honey Bee gyro problem

why not get a belt drive electric heli?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 AM
NateSD

If you have more than 10 flights on it with a LIPO battery, you might want to consider getting a new tail motor. They don't last very long and get weak after only a few flights. I'm working on my 3rd motor since mid December. They are back ordered, so I'm patiently waiting for my new one. Let us know if that doesn't solve your problem.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 AM
barefoot_tom

I wish I would have read your post a few days ago! I convinced myself that the problem must be with the 4 in 1, probably a bad gyro (so I thought). So, I went out and wasted $70 for another 4 in 1 only to discover that the problem persists. So, I have ordered another tail motor. Great. Want to buy an almost new 4 in 1? Just kidding.

So, I guess the failure mode of these electric motors is to still run, but not put out enough power? If this doesn't solve my problem I'm going to wad the whole thing (Honey Bee) up in a ball and throw it away!! My Hirobo XRB is so much fun I may just give up on my dream of flying a "real" helicopter.

..tom..
Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 AM
NateSD

Don't give up!!! It can be a pain, but once everything is working properly, you will enjoy it very much! The brushed motors that come with the CP2 and BCP are crap and will wear out very quickly. I just replaced the tail motor in mine last night and now the main motor is getting very weak too. It's a good thing I have another one laying around. You will be very surprised once you put a new motor in. You will now know when to replace it from here on out. Let us know how it works for you.

Also, if you can't find anyone that has the tail motor for the CP2 in stock, the one for the BCP works fine. I'm pretty sure they are the same motor, but I could be wrong. I'm running one for a BCP in my CP2 right now and it's working perfect.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
barefoot_tom

Yep, that fixed it! Got a blade CP tail motor and I'm back to having a functioning helicopter! Now, it's a different story for the pilot! I did get it in the air for 8 seconds today, a new record!!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
NateSD

Two thumbs up, barefoot! Don't worry, you will soon be flying the whole pack out.....
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Keep working on it dude.....it'll happen. The hardest part is being patient and putting in the stick time, but the more you fly it the better you will get.

I have had my Honey Bee for over a month now and am still on the same motors that came with it. I fly the crap out of it too. You'll get longer life out of them if you:
A.) Put heat sinks on the main and tail motors.
B.) Not push them till they get too hot. Let them cool down after you've flown it for about 5 minutes or so if they are getting hot by then.......which they will be.
C.) Flying with the canopy off helps air to get to the main motor easier. Yeah, I know, it looks cooler with it on but this will help the life of the main motor.

The motors are pretty cheap and not a big deal. That's the nice thing about the micro helis - they are cheap to maintain. It's advisable when you order replacements to order at least a couple at a time to avoid not having one when you need it. Same thing applies to the various parts most often needing replaced due to a crash. This saves on shipping costs too......

Keep in mind too, that the Blade CP is the earliest version of the Honey Bee CP2 so allot of the parts that fit it will fit the Honey Bee.

Good luck with your bird, hang in there and have fun!!!