Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Li-po battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 AM
jhunter68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-po battery

Can you use any li-po battery with any electric heli, size restrictions aside? Any reccomendations in terms of compromises b/w price and quality. And whats the scoop on chargers? They seem to range from $30 to $300 for a part that is hard to get excited about.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Li-po battery

You do have to be selective on several attributes of a battery pack.

It has to be the right number of cells. A 2s LiPo pack is about 7.4 volts, and a 3s pack is 11.1 volts. Some electronics and some motors do not like voltage that high.
It has to have enough capacity for your current demands. A 2s 250mAh pack will be nice and light, but it will not live long pumping out the 5-7Amps that a micro heli needs. Likewise, a 1500mAh pack is not enough for my bigger T-Rex. A 2100mAh is adequate.
It has to be light enough to be lifted by your heli.

Knowing what heli you are considering will help us know what to recommend.

For chargers, I often recommend the Apache 2500. It has selectible cell counts from 1 to 4, selectible charge rate from 250mA to 2500mA. And it runs on 12Vdc so you can use it in the field from a car battery. To use it at home, I pulled a power supply form an old computer and used a volt meter to find the 12V lines. Radio Shack also has power supplies.

Vince
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 AM
jhunter68

THanks Vince.

I was hesitant to even say what type bird I chose out of shame...but at the same time, I really want the input. And at the same time I toiled over this decision at length...almost compulsively. Its almost like the red ryder BB gun at this point. It also seemed like no matter what you get for first bird...some got one and it was defective......be it blade cp, Nr3d, HB CP2. Everytime I thought I had my mind made up.....I'd read another posting that changed my mind. Also in comparing the above models....none come with simulator.....which certainly sounds useful.

So I went with a Hughes 300 Scale RC Helicopter, 4 Channel, RTF package

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I chose this one which was way under budget because it appears to be identical to this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Which the manufactuers of the second one claim to be a miracle of modern science with a rather self serving RC helicopter lesson 101.

I know I have probly been taken....but this way I have enough money left over to be taken twice.

Sorry I know this was more Info then anyone was looking for.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

Looks like a rebadged Esky Honeybee Fp with Hughes body-I like how the Feda seller puts down ccpm and 4in1 units but sells a helicopter with those exact features! All these helis are made in the same factories with different names on them.