Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Pitch Curve and Throttle Cuve for Begginer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Pitch Curve and Throttle Cuve for Begginer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
mpwvp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitch Curve and Throttle Cuve for Begginer

i would like to know if anybody here knows what a good Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve is for a begginer.

I have been flying planes of all sizes for the last year.

I'm trying to tweek my controls so that I can hover better.

Thanks for all your help
Old 02-04-2006, 05:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Pitch Curve and Throttle Cuve for Begginer

Lets start with the basics.

What kind of helicopter and engine do you have?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM
opjose

Wow nice flying club you have there!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks! I'm very lucky, there's 4 fields, within reasonable driving distance (20 miles) of my house.

2 full house ones with club houses and paved runways and 2 that are just grass strips w/ outhouses but I feel very lucky as some people are lucky to have 1 within 40 or 50 miles.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:07 PM
mtnflyer14

barracuda,
Since mvwvp didn't get back to on the throttle/pitch curve question, I will. I am building my Raptor 50 V2 with OS 50 engine now. Just got to the flybar, etc last night and decided I should be well rested before tackling that part! (Raptor technique website has been invaluable). So, that's the heli, I have a Futaba 8UAF radio. Will be flying at 6000 feet altitude and am a total beginner on helis. So-what setup would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Motions

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

Will be flying at 6000 feet altitude and am a total beginner on helis. So-what setup would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
WHAT!?!? 6000 ft.????
You will never fly a Raptor at 6000 ft. If you do, I'll give you a years pay.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
mtnflyer14

Welllll, I watched my buddy and his son fly their 50s with the OS 50 engine two weeks ago just outside Colorado Springs and they did very well. Rolls, inverted, and some stuff that I don't know what to call it!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
BarracudaHockey

Don't mind him he lives down here at sea level with us.

To answer your question it should fly fine. You may have to run 30 percent nitro once you get to throwing it around.

For rank beginners just hovering I think 0, 2, 5, 7, 9 and 1650 head speed is best. That way if you panic and chop it you wont drive it into the ground and or chop off the tail boom.

For those with sim time or alot of help and are comfortable -2, 0, 2, 5, 9 and get used to hovering at 3/4 stick. Always setup your heli for its most mechanical pitch +-10 or +-11 then use your pitch curves to tame the beast. That way when you progress all you have to do is modify your pitch curves.

As you get comfortable go -4 -2 0 5 9 and once you are used to that start using idle up with -9 -5 0 5 9 notice the top numbers stay the same so not much about hovering will change. The lower you run the bottom end the more sensitve the pitch stick becomes. Once your into idle up you want to set up your throttle curves to keep a head speed around 1750 then increase that as your confidence increases all the way up to 2000 rpm. The higher the rpm the more sensitve the controls.

Something Raptor Technique doesnt cover is cyclic pitch. Set your blades out fore and aft, if you use the setups i descibed half stick should be zero pitch. So put the pitch gauge on and verify zero pitch then crank full left aileron and hold the stick and read the pitch gauge, anything more than 7 degrees lower the cyclic end point till its at 7 then set the other side and the elevator to the same number and spin the blades 90 degrees and check the elevator, it should be the same. Any more cylic throw than that and you run the risk of bogging the motor later on and this will be especially important at the elevation you will be flying.

The biggest difference you will see is possible boggin in high pitch manuvers, these will depend on finesse on your part with the cyclic and collective pitch and your throttle curves will probably be higher than mine flying at sea level, also the air is thinner so you will be running a little leaner so you want to watch your backplate tempature.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:56 PM
mtnflyer14

Copy all, barracuda-thanks. I'll let you know how this turns out!