Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

How tos for Rookies

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
sambuca813

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tos for Rookies

I wish I found this site before a bought and before I crashed... This is a great site, thank you to all.

I am a rookie (Walkera #4). My goal was to find a flight simulator and a bird in one package. The one I found also had two LI-PO batteries, training wheels and spare blades. Good deal for $299? The only issue that I have so far is that the simulator is pirated (according to the vendor) and I was not too happy to learn that.

I took the fly bar off, popped off a couple of links to see the details of my first broken part. I glued it up and put it back together (I think). First, I do not remember that I could move the fly bar up and down. So I am second guessing what I did. Are there any detail photos of the “parts” between the swash plate and the rotor head? I’d love to see them. Second, after I install the replacement parts, I will need to balance everything. Has anyone broken the process down in terms a rookie should understand? I read somewhere about balancing a set of blades before they are mounted, but then what? What I am hoping to find is a “Tuning/Balancing Guide for Dummies”. In the mean time, I’ll have wait until after the game before I can do some more digging.

Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge.
Mike (Buffalo, NY)
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
dsltek432

Default RE: How tos for Rookies

ORIGINAL: sambuca813

I am a rookie (Walkera #4). My goal was to find a flight simulator and a bird in one package. The one I found also had two LI-PO batteries, training wheels and spare blades. Good deal for $299? The only issue that I have so far is that the simulator is pirated (according to the vendor) and I was not too happy to learn that.

What heli did you buy? walkera dragonfly #4? What sim?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
sambuca813

Default RE: How tos for Rookies

I have the Walkera #4. Ordered it though TrendTimes. The sim is Tru Flight 3D. An email from www.tru-flite.org said this about the software: "I should first say that it is highly likely that you have been supplied with an illegal copy of our software, probably version 2.0 from 1999, as we do not package our simulator with any kits, especially Walkera......... " My main gripe about the sim was a behavior that I found frustrating: it appears that regardless of how the tx trims are set and regardless of what bearing one is flying, there is an overwhelming trend that the heli will end up flying away from you... On one hand a tip I read was to ALWAYS fly the sim back and land. The idea is that if it were a real flight, you would want the bird back. On the other hand when I am practicing hovering and I get out of control I find it far easier and less time consuming to crash it and let the sim reset than to fight the sim to bring the bird back to my practice area.

It appears that many of the Walkera helis go by dragonfly, so I say I have the Walkera #4... I have read that the Venom Night Ranger II and the EF Sabre are also Walkera #4s.