Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:11 AM
jeepson33s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question

ok i am getting a trex se for my second heli and i need to know some terms that are used.
1 i am looking at radios and gyros and what is this head holding and what gyros have this.
2 this heli is cpe what does that mean
3 how good at flying do i have to be to keep one of these stable. (i flew my dragonfly and got really frustrated at how crappy the heli was and sold it)
4 do i need a pcm tx and rx if i am going to be using cf blades? (lhs told me this but i think they might be trying to "sell" me somting)
5 do i need someone to help me set my gyro and tx up or is that "easy" enogh for a technical guy or do i need a pro to set it up for me? ( i think i know the answer to this one)
any or all help would be great
thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob Question

I will give what i know about what your asking .
A heading hold gyro holds the heli in the last pointed direction, the gy 240 or 401 are heading hold and will work very well, there are others search around.
you dont need a pcm tx but most can be switched to pcm and then you can use a pcm rx, less interfence is what the pcm dose .
I dont know what the cpe is.
The smaller elec helis are a bit twitchy you can add some fly bar weights to tame it down.
Getting help with the heli set up and how to fly is alway the best thing.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Noob Question

PCM with carbon blades? Thats a good one! One has nothing to do with the other. PCM is nice to have with electrics due to the higher RF noise environments that the speed controller and electric motor create but many fly FM. My TRex is PCM, I use the Futaba 146iP

As for heading hold, its just what it sounds like, a rate gyro (non hh) dampens tail movements, say the wind blows the tail will want to weather vane, a rate gyro will slow down the drift but the heli will end up pointing in another direction. A HH (tail lock, heading lock, avcs all mean the same thing) gyro will fight to the limit of the tails ability againt the wind to stay in the same place it was. They make flying helicopters much more pleasing. The GY401 with a 9650 servo is the way to go for the tail of a trex.

As stated the smaller helis are twichy and more susceptable to wind but with proper setup they can be handled. Nitros are easier to fly but they are bigger and more intimidating, it all in where/when you want to fly.

They arent that hard to build and setup and there's a metric ton of info available online to help you. Check out http://www.trextuning.com as one example.