Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

How many flying minutes from battery?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

How many flying minutes from battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Ace9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many flying minutes from battery?

Here goes another question; When running 4-9252 servos (no governor) and 401 gyro with 9254 for tail rotor (in avcs mode) about how many minutes is it safe to fly for, using the stock Futaba 4.8V 1500 MaH NiCad? Ace9
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: HOW MANY FLYING MINUTES FROM BATTERY?

If I remember right, the average current draw of your setup would be around 2 amps doing aerobatics. Considering a fully charged battery and a safety margin, 30 minutes would be a safe time. So three short flights or two long ones.

Fritz
Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Yes two to 3 flights. A loaded volt meter is the way to go to tell how much capacity you have left.

Also typing in all caps is considered yelling, please if at all possible refrain unless you are trying to EMPHASIZE a point.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Ace9

My apologies for the caps thing! Thanks for the answer to my question. That doesn't seem very long since I am use to being able to fly airplanes for 2 hours on a 500MaH pack. What would be the highest MaH rating (4.8V NiCad battery) that would work in a Raptor 50 V2 without being excessively heavy or for size ? I was considering a NiMh battery at one time however have heard that they don't put out the amperage like a NiCad battery does. I am not sure if they still would be more than adequate though even if they don't put out quite like the NiCad! I'm not sure if I want to go the lithium way yet!! Thanks in advance, Ace9.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: How many flying minutes from battery?

Airplanes don't get the servo loads that helicopters have and if your talking analog servos the amplifier doesnt update the motor position nearly as often as a digital. Those extra motor updates draw current so digitals consumer more power.

The Raptor is known to be a bit tail heavy with a light battery so a 2000 mah sub C NiMH of modern construction should be fine, they have sufficent current delivery for our use.

Just an FYI I can fly several flights each weekend day with my Duralite Lithiums and not be anywhere near stop fly voltage with all digitals and a governor, say 10 flights per charge with no problem, to me it was worth the money. Plus the voltage to the servos is consistent from the beginning of the day to the end, though that would not be a big advantage to you till you start thumping it around.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Modern NIMH's are more than capable of high current draws. I fly an electric eco-8 which runs on 10 3300 sub-c cells. The cells are rated for ~30 amp discharge. I probably run them in the 20 to 25 amp range and the batteries are only warm after a flight, so theres lots of power in the sub-c nimhs .
Old 02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Ace9

Thanks ever so much Cuda and Credence; You guys have always answered my questions with "hit the nail on the head" answers and I do appreciate it! I think for now I will probably choose a NiMh type battery although I probably will switch over to the LiPol type once I get my flying skills to were I would notice a difference. I am nearing the build time of my Raptor. For now I am still flying my G3 simulator and then my Blade CP, then G3 and back to the Blade CP. I have managed to figure out how to program my Futaba 9C to run my Blade CP instead of the TX that the Blade comes with. I am also using the 9C with the G3 Simulator as well. Thanks again and I will sure you'll see another question sooner or later, Ace9.