Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Blade CP GLITCH FROM HELL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade CP GLITCH FROM HELL

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:39 AM
a610412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CP GLITCH FROM HELL

I just had the worst glitch a pilot could ever imagine. I fly the Blade CP with 3cell Lipo 1010mah and/700mah with acro kit. I flew the heli just fine for about 15 minutes in normal mode and landed it. The props where not moving, nothing was in motion. I set my remote control down and walked over to the heli to disconnect the battery. All the sudden the props go full speed and my Blade CP is shooting up into the air. It came crashing down. I had no clue what went on. I replaced everything I broke and flew once again four hours & 40$ later. It flew fine until I put my radio down once again to go walk over to my heli to disconnect the battery. The same damb thing happened again. It just went full throttle as if someone turned on my idle-up switch and had the collective at a full +10 degree pitch.
There is no way I'm flying this thing again without finding out what's going on! I don't want to spend 100$ on parts plus hours of my time just to fly for 15 minutes.

Please let me know what's going on.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:31 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Blade CP GLITCH FROM HELL

Is it possible there is a loose contact in your transmitter that happens to be moving anytime you lay the transmitter down horizontally? Try disengaging the motor from the main gear and then fiddling with your transmitter and see what happens. Also unplug the tail motor if the BCP allows you to do so (I don't own one so I don't know).

Also, it's not uncommon to get glitching if your transmitter is pointing directly at the helicopter. On top of this, the human body acts as radio interference. I've noticed, especially with my single conversion receivers such as the GWS ones, the heli will be just fine during flight, but if I pass my hand over the antenna while going to unplug the batteries or work on the heli while the power is on, the servos will begin to twitch.

Of course, in your case, i'd guess theres something screwy with your transmitter.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 AM
motorsports

Is this happening indoors or outdoors.
If you point the antenna directly at the helicopter, the rec. in the helicopter is receiving the weakest signal from the transmitter. The antenna on these transmitters transmit the highest power from the sides. (Ok, theory of a vertical dipole from ham radio!) Also as credence says if you walk between it and the transmitter the signal is further being blocked. Now couple that with the fact that it can get all kinds of radio interference from other items, such as microwaves, TV's, computers, etc. it could be causing the beast to go crazy whenever all the factors are put together. Also I have heard, but never tested, that these wireless networking devices for computers in homes can really cause a rec. in a model to go nuts. Whether it's your wireless or a neighbors. You might want to check that out.

Just check it out using a method of elimination until you can find the problem. And until you do watch those blades. Them puppies hurt if they hit ya!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:25 PM
a610412

I fly outside with my Blade. I've researched this problem and it seem as if a couple other people out there have the same exact problem. They will set down the remote and all the sudden the thing will go nuts. It scares the hell out of you since your not expecting the thing to go full throtle out of the blue.
I'm calling E-flight in just a minute and have a talk with them.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:45 PM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

OK,this is for ALL beginners- never set your transmitter down until you shut the receiver off
Old 02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
a610412

That still doesnt' explain why it's going nuts on me.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:49 PM
motorsports

OK, you haven't done any mods that would make the throttle so sensenstive that it would move when you put it down? I've also heard about RFI interference with the antenna on the heli and carbon fiber parts...

Curious what the company tells ya. Please let us know.....
Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
L0stS0ul

I've found that the glitching is worse if you lay the transmitter flat on it's back. If you keep it upright and do not walk or put any part of your body between the transmitter and the 4-in-1. I now put the transmitter in front of the heli on the other side like in the picture and then unplug the battery from the heli. You don't want any part of your body between the transmitter and the heli.

I've now moved away from the stock transmitter and even replaced the receiver in the 4-in-1 with a GWS r6nII receiver and moved it away from the 4-in-1 and the glitching has almost completely gone away. But I will still get servo twitches if I get between the transmitter and the heli. I've not had an uncontrolled spool up since I've taken these precautions and switched out the components
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21661.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	405639  
Old 02-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Chris_s

I once landed my helicopter, and knelt down to pick it up, and placed the transmitter down on the floor in such a fashion that my foot pushed the idle-up switch

YIKES!
Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 PM
a610412

I called up E-flight and they toled me that I have to send in my 4-1 and my controller. They would take a look at it. It would be about a month before I get it back. I have to pay shipping. I don't like that concept of me not flying for another month.
I've conducted a few more tests. I took the main and the tail props off and hooked everything up normally. I went to the same spot I've been having that glitch at (my back yard). I did exactly the same thing I did the other day. I put the remote down and walked over to the heli. This time nothing happened. Everything was ok. So my conclusion is that it is inconsistent.
I can't believe this is happening to me. WHY ME !?!?

I have three reasonable theories to why my baby is doing this.
1. The power-line is interfering.
2. Someone has the same frequency as I do and is messing with me.
3. Carma[:@]

After more tests and research on-line, I found a site that listed a few tips on how to avoid or get rid of glitching. They said to move the receiver as far away as possible from the servos and the motor. I just barley did that, and on top of that I put a thick (4mm) rubber cover over my 4-1 in hopes to keep other frequencies produced from the motor and servos out.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:51 PM
a610412

ORIGINAL: L0stS0ul

I've found that the glitching is worse if you lay the transmitter flat on it's back. If you keep it upright and do not walk or put any part of your body between the transmitter and the 4-in-1. I now put the transmitter in front of the heli on the other side like in the picture and then unplug the battery from the heli. You don't want any part of your body between the transmitter and the heli.

I've now moved away from the stock transmitter and even replaced the receiver in the 4-in-1 with a GWS r6nII receiver and moved it away from the 4-in-1 and the glitching has almost completely gone away. But I will still get servo twitches if I get between the transmitter and the heli. I've not had an uncontrolled spool up since I've taken these precautions and switched out the components

So you're saying you had this same exact problem of uncontrollable spool up and it shooting into the air?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
credence

ORIGINAL: a610412

I have three reasonable theories to why my baby is doing this.
1. The power-line is interfering.
2. Someone has the same frequency as I do and is messing with me.
3. Carma[:@]
Haha, damn karma! You haven't been a naughty boy lately have you?

Seriously though, power lines have been known to wreak havoc on RF equipment.
When you set your transmitter down, set it down so the Antenna is facing away from the helicopter, and if possible, set it sitting on it's bottom instead of it's back. It's probably a bit more dangerous this way should a wind knock it over or something, but theres less chance of RF interference.

Also, as battery power drops the whole system becomes more susceptible to interference aswell. This goes for your receiver AND transmitter. Which explains why the helicopter may not do it when you first plug it in, but does it after you fly around and go to unplug it.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 AM
mantis*tw*

i had the same thing happen to me. heli went nuts till i stepped on it to unplug the battery.after a lot of trial and error i found that if i set my tx on cement i get a nasty glitch as soon as i step away from it(as in reaching for heli to unplug).i have been using a small pc of plywood to set tx on,or i fly in the grass.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why it is that micro's don't have an on\off switch between the battery pack and the RX/ESC like larger glow and electric models have? Seems like it'd be alot simpler to turn off and on if there was a switch... only takes 1 finger to move a switch after all!

ps. I have a Hummingbird V2 and always hate having to unplug the pack to turn it off... grrrrr! [:@]

- Michael
Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
jmc67

When I got my blade cp this was the very same thing that happened to me. Putting down the transmitter where laying or standing would cause the blade so go live. However, after doing some experiments with tail and main motor disconnected I found out it was the transmitter and not the electronics on the heli. My problem was the battery wires inside the transmitter. Although the wires were not broken or loose from the battery connectors, they were loose where it was coming into contact with the antenna inside the transmitter. So what I did was use some electrical tape and taped it securely away from the antenna. This eliminated the glithing problem I had. Keep in mind that this is the stock transmitter. You may want to take some time, open it up and see if your battery wires are loose. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
a610412

I have a question. When you turn off your Transmitter before turning your receiver off, does your blade sometimes spinn up for a sec?
Mine does that, but not allways. Sometimes it's full throttle and sometimes half throttle. Alot of times it wont do anything when I turn off the transmitter before the receiver.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
jmc67

I just tried this a few times and no, the heli does not spin up. The only thing that happens is the 4-in-1 led starts to flash red-green.

I have a question. When you turn off your Transmitter before turning your receiver off, does your blade sometimes spinn up for a sec?
Mine does that, but not allways. Sometimes it's full throttle and sometimes half throttle. Alot of times it wont do anything when I turn off the transmitter before the receiver.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:58 PM
a610412

Now that I fixed it one more time, my heli is experiencing a new problem. Now out of no where when hovering, all the sudden it will drop in altitude as if the servos are adding negative pitch for a split second. I am an experienced heli pilot so I know this is not normal. I am sending in my 4 in 1 as well as my transmitter. I called up e-flight and they said they will replace all that was damaged because of this problem. That means they are sending me 3 sets of blades, one boom, one Blade grip holder, 3 sets of main gear shafts as well as a new radio and a new 4 in1 receiver. (By the way, my LED's that indicate battery life are randomly going out and are not properly displaying accurate indication). These guys really take care of you...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 AM
credence

Any particular reason you're turning the transmitter off before the receiver? That's just downright dangerous.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Ace9

Just thought I would add my story; I had the exact same problem. Try unplugging both crystals from the TX and RX and then plug them back in. Also take the case apart on the TX and make sure the screw that hold the wire to the Antenna is tight. You can't just tighten the Antenna by turning it as there is a screw and nut that hold it tight to the wire and you need to hold the nut while tightnening the screw. You'll understand this when you take the case apart. Also try moving the throttle trim lever (on the TX) up and down a couple of times. It turned out that in my case the TX throttle trim was maulfunctioning causing the motor to go live all by itself. It also would flare up when hovering. It would flare up the same amount as if I went to 100% throttle! Anyway new TX and no more problems for me, Ace9
Old 02-14-2006, 07:31 PM
a610412

I"ve opened my TX and found no lose wires or antena. Everything was snug and looked alright.
My TX & RX are on their way to Horizon Hobby. I can't wait to get it back in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
a610412

Any particular reason you're turning the transmitter off before the receiver? That's just downright dangerous.

[/quote]

The reason I asked is when I did some testing, one of my tests consisted of me turning off my TX before my RX. The results varied a bit but where interesting. Sometimes the blade would spin up full throtle and sometimes half throtle, and sometimes not at all. I'm thinking this might have something to do with my problem.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
hackett

My blade had the very same glitching problem from day one. Sent it back to Horizon. The highly trained technician said he turned it on, let it sit for ten minutes, and in that time nothing happened. They boxed it up and sent it back to me. They didnt replace the blades or main shaft that were damaged in its last glitch. The whole turn around time was almost a month. I was VERY disappointed with their service. Thes things are a lot of fun but the electrinics are junk..................