Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Radio setup help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 AM
rvmach50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio setup help

I have been trying to get my JR 6102 and my hawk Pro setup right , I had help from a heli pilot but he sence cashed both heli's and quit . From all the reading I have done I don't think the throttle and pitch are right. when I try to hover it seems to take alot of moving of the throttle to keep the heli from going to high or falling to the ground.(is this normal) The engine is a OS 37 and has about 2-!/2 gal. of run time. The pitch curve is now at about 6 at a little above half stick and doesn't give any more pitch the throttle is about 65% at the same point and goes to 100% at full stick. I have found a lot of info on raptor set and futaba need more on JR and hawk Pro . I am going to get a raptor soon . I need som basic startting points (new to radio ) and can't seem to get to th right spot in my radio to change what I need to. The basics of what every thing does would help . I set all of the cntrol lengths to were the need to be (hopefully) and and need to know were to start from there .a good book , or any JR radio site .

I can hover but need help
thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
tippy

Default RE: Radio setup help

rvmach50: ... The pitch curve is now at about 6 at a little above half stick and doesn't give any more pitch ...
... the throttle is about 65% at the same point and goes to 100% at full stick.
As a very beginner, the general setup should be hover pitch at mid-stick and hover power (throttle) set to what ever it takes to hold a hover. Look at your heli manual and see what hover pitch should be. I have an old Raptor30 and it's (manufacturer recommended) hover pitch is 6 degrees. So if the Hawk Pro is similar to the Raptor in weight and size, your 6 degrees near mid-stick is probably ball parkish ok. You say (or I read) that if you push the collective (pitch/power) stick full forward, the blade pitch doesn't go beyond the initial 6 degrees? If that's what you are really saying, then you need to check your pitch curve to see if there is a flat spot on the upper side of the curve.
Reference page 75-76 of the 6102 [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/jrp6645-manual.pdf]manual[/link]

If the pitch (load on the engine) doesn't increase, yet you advance the power (throttle) as the stick goes foreward ... it would seem that you would over rev you engine. Do you notice if the engine RPM increases as you go from mid-stick to full foreward stick?

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Gorgok

After two hover sessions with my hawk pro i decided to see if the heli was mechanically limited in some way. It was seriously limited, at least as the instructions have it.

I went through all the links balancing the two sides, and adjusted them all (ok, maybe 2 links i left as is). The rest are made so that at mid stick i have 0* pitch, full stick i have about 10*, and bottom stick i have -10* pitch. This was pretty hard to achieve actually, its a long ways off from the instruction manual at least. As a general guide, if all you links are at 90* to what they control, you are headed in the right direction. Thats how mine is now. Like the aileron control, the servo connects to a 90* L shaped arm, that arm is (on both sides) perpendicular to the link that goes up from it to the swash plate. Like this pic...

But since i am a newbie, i electronically limit my machine to about -3*, 0* and 10* of pitch, bottom, mid and full stick. Its a rather steep curve though, and while hovering at about 6 feet is real smooth, just a hair more collective stick and it will hover at about 12 feet... I'm sure thats just the curve... maybe i should flatten it out some.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:02 AM
rvmach50

You right my pitch curve is flat from just above mid stick and the throttle does go to full 100% . When trying to hover the engine seems to be very unstable ,a slite movement of the stick and the heli will start to clime .I think it may be in the throttle curve . The flier that helped me setup the radio I'm not shure he was right . I am going to set the pitch curve -2 ----+9 and try to get a hover at just above half stick .

Thanks rvmach50
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
RCer22

Before you go trying to set up the curves you have to make sure that you have all the machanics right.
That means accually taking off the links at the servos and making sure that are capible of moving the full range. You need to put a pitch gauge on the rotor blades and see what you have. If you can't get the full range of degrees by moving the links by hand you have to find out why before you go any further.
Next go back to the pitch curves menu and reset the curves to the defaults of 0 25 50 75 100% With 0% being low stick and 100% being high stick. After doing that go to the travel adjust menu and set to set servo travel to give you the full amount of the machanical movement of the link. (without binding or servo stalling).
Now using a pitch gauge and with the throttle stick in the middle you want to have 0 pitch at the blades. + 10 at high stick and - 10 at low stick. You might have to change the machanics somewhat to get these settings but it can be done. Then you can go into the pitch curve menu and set the points to give you the proper hover settings you desire. Be sure to check that the servo arms are at right angles to the links (so you have the same thow in both directions) before you begin. Also center the knobs the control the hover pitch and throttle setting before you do this. (If you have them). You can also do the same thing with your engine settings for a strait line curve of the throttle. On my Raptor I have the OS 37 too. I had to make my full throttle about 85% to keep the head from over speeding at full throttle. I'm guessing you wont need 100% either. But thats upto you and how the ship works.

Good luck