Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New heli kid ready for first heli!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New heli kid ready for first heli!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
mayhem272

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New heli kid ready for first heli!

hey all
ive been into rc cars for few yrs
i want to start flying i told my parents
there like oh great more stuff to get lol
anyways im lookin to start in the rc heli hobby and want to know wat/how to start
i was thinkin to go directly into nitro .30 rtf models but not sure
couple points i will discuss:
1. i want a rtf heli (every thing batts motor, doesnt have to be assembled) but has to include all the major needs including a radio
2. not sure if to go directly to gas or not
3. has to include everything (or recomend stuff that will fit with it)
4. i want it to be under $1000 for either electric or nitro
5. i want to know wat accessories i need to run/start it
i want to know how to break in the engine if i get a nitro
wat ive been looking at is
the new hirobo .30 kit (includes everything except fuel and a starter for $980 around ther)
and the jr venture .30cp rtf kit for $750
i would prefer the hirobo shuttle kit (i think its a shuttle) because i got the latest rc heli mag and they had done a very detailed review on it (thanks heli mag good job!) explaining wat it came with and all the required accessories and wat fuel
also it doesnt need too much assembly and the radio is extremely nice too imo
but are they hard to fly the frist few flights? and i need to learn about wat collective pitch mix means and pitch and 3d flight
i know how to take care of nitro engines (after run oil, leave at bdc after use etc.)
also im not gonna enter any contesets YET! [>:] but wen i get good ill see who does them
more questions to come! thanks so much all!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:01 PM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New heli kid ready for first heli!

ok, first off helicopter flying is a extremley slow process learning to fly. If you dont have patients to be constantly repairing crashes then I don't recomend you fly. Personally I think you shouldn't go RTF. Get something in a kit so then you need to put it together and then you know how to fix it when if crashes, And it will.

I recomend you go with something like a corona w/ a brushless set-up. It will take a little while to setup but its gonna be worth it. Its alittle smaller than a .30 size heli. Its extremly durable and perfect for learning to fly.

Setting up a CP helicopter and a CP helicopters Tx can be extremely confusing and difficult. I dont really want to go into depth on how to set it up but basicly heres what you need to do. Set a throttle curve of something like 0% 25% 75% 95% 95%. For a pitch curve you need a pitch guage and you need to set the %'s on the controller till the pitch shows up on your guage to what you want. The degrees of pitch that you want for hovering around and light flying is something like -4 - 0 - 2 - 4 - 5. Theres more to setting the Tx but thats the main difference between setting up a CP helis computer Tx over setting up a FP helis computer Tx.

As long as everything is setup correct the first few flights are not too hard. But if your a begginer pilot most likely nothing will be setup correctly. If you have someone else who is experienced you should be pretty good. Personally for myself learning to fly all tail-in flight went very quickly, the once you start learnig side-in and nose-in flight everything slows down and gets harder.

Goodluck
Old 02-16-2006, 10:00 PM
mayhem272

but idk tho
i dont have the money to go to brushless electric to nitro...
well i can be tought like i said by this one guy i know (he flies mostly rc gas planes but he has 1 nitro heli he could maybe show me)
also is the heli hobby good for a 15 yr old that knows alot about flying REAL planes already? (describing me)
but i am interested in the scaedu or 30cp combo
btw, y are there so many size helis available ex 30,50,60,90 and scale?
i looked at scales online today and i noticed i wont be getting into those for a few centuries lol due to the price they run like $3200 just for the kit NO THANKS!
thanks dude i appreciate it
again i could prolly go with a nitro heli at first due to me being in contact with a guy that knows everything and anything of rc planes/helis
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
chickenx5

I would recomend the Raptor 30 v2 ARF ( almost ready to fly ), NEVER get RTF nitros i got the ARF right around 1000$ tottal for all the equipment im 15 years old
Old 02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or buy a used one that a "friend" can help you rebuild. I bought 2 helicopter this way and it a lot cheaper initially. If you do not know how to put it back together it will be a problem without some help.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

ARF or RTF same same. Best to buy a kit, put it together yourself. That way you don't have to worry about fixing it if something breaks or wondering if the non helicopter pilot that put it together used locktite on something critical.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:42 PM
DebianDog

Good point Barracudahockey. I got a great deal on a used Predator. I found an extra spacer on Predator last night after the tail drive failed. (Luckily on take-off so there was no damage).
Old 02-17-2006, 05:23 PM
mayhem272

ok thanks all
i mean i am able to put it together as long as it includes everything (i will buy all the neccesarys tho) like radio,servos that fit!, engine, and instrucctions (ofcousre!) to set it up (obviosly it should come with assembly instructions)
i will prolly get either the jr 30cp or the sceadu .30 combo (the sceadu runs a bit much tho but has a nicer radio than the jr)
but wat would u choose?
i know jr makes quality stuff and there helis have been around a while including there 30 combo
the price is deff acceptable for the jr combo (found it for as low as $720 new on helihobby.com)
but ive never heard of these engines they use in the combos
there like a toiki .40 in a 30 sized engine case? and the jr has a NORMAL sounding engine like a webra speed .35 (i think its a 35 not sure)
but wat in the world does ringed/non ringed mean?
and wats the diff (or posotives/negatives) of ccpm and just regualr manual mixing? thanks
im learning a bit already
btw i dont want a used one cuz idk ill prolly stay with this for a while!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:27 PM
barndoorski

While I am still in the bladecp thing now I have been reading ALOT on nitros (I want one bad) I would, and am going to get, the raptor50v2, the 30 sounds good also and a little cheaper but what the heck at this point spend a little more and get a lot right? I am looking at using heliproz, everyone here seems to say they are good, or Rick's same thing, all you hear is good about them. Tell them what you want and I am sure they will set up a package with all you need. There is soo much info on the raptor it seems to me you could build it on your own if you are willing to spend the time reading everything (as I am trying) and asking the right questions here if you don't quite get something. good luck
Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Raylon

I wish I was a rich 15yr old Just messin with ya man. I've also been looking into Nitro's, and I will probably go with the Raptor 50v2 once I get the money. Started with a Blade CX, then got a CP. CP is insane, I love it. Look into the 50, it appears to be a good heli.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

The JR venture, especially the 30 develops slop quickly as there are bushings in critical areas. The reason the Sceadu costs more is because its superior quality and has more ball bearings including thrust bearings in the head. By the time you end up getting the hop up parts to fix the head and other weak areas you will have spent as much or more than you had for a sceadu.

The raptor is a great compromise, and for a beginner its probably your best bet as far as support and parts availability.

Also if you want to save yourself some agrivation stick with OS engines. The 37 is perfect for the Raptor 30 and the 50 or 50 hyper are golden in the 50 size machines.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 AM
sceadu37

i have a sceadu with os 37 engine..

ive only had a few flights with it, but its vvery smooth, and the build went very well

ive had 2 lessons on a raptor 30, and to me, it seems more up to taking abuse from begginers... it has a wide and beny undercarriage for hard landings, cheaper parts etc...

i like my sceadu now that ive had a go of it tho...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM
AutoMike

mayhem272 , Check out the Century Hawk Pro. Now it is a very good heli and they have "all in one box" combos ranging from just under $600 and up...but heres one I'd recomend...Its $685 for Everything but fuel...even includes all the starting equipment and comes with a good Futaba 7ch radio.....

http://www.heli-world.com/Merchant2/...de=hk30century
Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
mayhem272

ok thanks all
appreciate it
but would it be hard to start with a nitro at first?
ive never even touched a rc heli before
but tht century combo is nice and its a great deal
ill have to think about it abit its a pretty big investment dont know if ill use it alot
plus i dont want to loose control on the first flight after breakin
thanks again
like to hear more tho
hey guys who wanted the raptor 50v2 y not go with a raptor 90se instead?? lol
see u around!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:09 PM
sceadu37

i started with a nitro...

the small leccys are very twitchy, and can be worse for you in the long run..

just make sure you find a club or training school to set it up, and get yourself some lessons...

a decent teacher will be invaluable.. i was preapared to pay the £35 each lesson if it saved me buying a new heli each time
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
mayhem272

i deffinently agree with u sceadu37
i am either getting the century hawk pro combo or the jr 30cp combo (both are under $750 at places i trust)
and if i get it wat fuel shall i run? and how do u break them in?
again i know nitro engines pretty good i can tune and i know how to NOT LEAN OUT too much
i downloaded a bunch of vids and man they sound awsome and they are pretty dang sweet
i got a alan szazbo jr aerobatics vid too and hes just completely crazy
do u recomend training gear? and yes i can get lessons (a rc airport is near here it has a runway and stuff, and i know a guy jon that is more into planes but is learning the heli phase like me) wish me luck on first flight
i want somethin tht doesnt need assembly at all (i will install motor,servos etc) but i wont build the chassis (who knows i could never be able to finish it lol!) i also plan to get into this hobby deeply over the years so i will eventually upgrade and go to 90 sizes and stuff
thanks so much all i cant wait! btw i did not order it yet (i wish) but ill have to talk to parents about it (thay wont pay for it but prolly wont let me cuz too dangurous as my ma says lol ill try to nagociate) btw how long does a tank of fuel last? and how long do engines last? thanks again see ya around!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 AM
sceadu37

out of those i would get the hawk going by what people have said... i also dont like the look of the JR

i would get a helicopter that your lhs stocks spares for... sometimes, it can be much easier to pop there instead of ordering online and waiting...

the raptor 30 seems to be the most popular, so i would really consider that... kits arnet hard... they just take a bit of patience....

the run in on my 37 ringed, involved running a tank relatively rich, as ringed engines dont need running in as much.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM
qwerty3

As to fuel: for a 30 size nitro heli. I'd recommend 30% nitro 'heli fuel' (Coolpower, Wildcat, etc., etc., etc.) The reasons for this are: a) you'll want the 30% nitro in order to have enough power from your 30 size engine, WITHOUT having to lean it out too far, and b) the special 'heli' blends normally have a higher percentage of oil, which aids cooling & lubrication. If you get a 50 size heli, or larger (more $$$$ !!) you could probably use 15% nitro fuel. Do not use fuel that has any significant amount of castor oil in it - this will gum things up quickly - in a heli. Heli engines run in a heavily loaded condition (compared to the typical nitro engine on a fixed wing plane with a prop), and running this way they tend to run hotter. With any heli, you are best off to get a local flyer to help you out - getting things setup and adjusted properly. It is much more difficult to try to learn to hover a heli that is not working right, or is out of adjustment. You'll need to learn how and why to do these adjustments; try to find someone who will teach you, along with correcting / adjusting things. Be sure that whatever heli you get, parts are readily available - because you WILL need them, and you probably can't make them yourself. (Kinda like an RC car, in that respect.) I second the suggestion about the OS engine - it's the most trouble-free line, the most straighforward to get running right - and, when you're trying to learn, fighting a balky engine will stop any progress. You don't need one of the 'fire-breathing' monsters to learn on; the OS 37 should be great.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:42 PM
rmasu

Just a newbie getting back into the hobby. I'm 37 y/o doctor now and have flown a cricket when I was 15. It flew for about 5 seconds and crashed into a million pieces. In college I flew a Hirobo shuttle (1990). Flew for about 10 seconds crashed, 200 bucks of repairs later and I sold it.
Fast forward to 2005.
Started again with a e-sky lama-2 counter rotating blades. Loved it, easy to fly. Switched to a Heli-max rotofly and presently fly a BT Corona. If I had to do it over again I'd do it the same way. The lama taught me the basic controls and practically flys itself. Switching to the rotofly was maybe unnecessary but great on rainy days. Now I'm comfortable with hovering and forward flight. I will hopefully graduate to a CP model if I can ever figure out the set up (radio and model!).
Unless you got some unnatural ability to fly heli right off the bat, you will crash so many times in the beginning you will get discouraged in fixing and buying parts.
I would recommend a sim or a cheapo ebay lama or blade cx to learn the basics. I didn't learn on a sim but I figured a 100.00 lama was cheaper and much more fun.
On a final note I love my Corona. I have smashed this thing into my work bench with only a nick on the blades (still flyable) and no other damage. It's a FP so easy to set up and flys on cheap nicads and NiMH's and uses a standard 4 channel radio.
On a final note, I've had many many years of R/C stuff, planes, cars, gas, electric, even boats. If you're comfortable with nitro great , but after 20 years of R/C I like electric better. Especially with the advent of brushless motors and more recently lipo batteries. I'm able to fly around my house and not disturb the neighbors and not fiddle with all the other accesories needed with glow powered.
just my .02

Doc