Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Hows this for a noob setup?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Hows this for a noob setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:27 AM
wildbill13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows this for a noob setup?

Hey all, I'm making the leap over from fixed wing e-flight to rotary. I wanted to see what kind of comments I garner from my first setup before I buy. If there's one thing I learned in this hobby, it's to go brushless/lipo if you can afford it.

Elite Hummingbird Fixed Pitch
9X Micro Servo x2
GWS-R6NF Rx & crx
Himax 2015
CASTLE-PHX-10
E-Tech 2S1P 1250mAh Pack 10C
GWS-ICS50E
GY240 Gyro with Heading Hold
Hummingbird Elite FP Crash Kit
Hummingbird Elite FP and CP Retrofit Landing Gear
IP 6028 Shaft Collar with 120 degrees 3 set screw

Also, I've got a Fut 6EXA Tx, should I be able to get the basics done with that, understanding it's not a Heli Tx?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Gorgok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hows this for a noob setup?

Personally i would look for a CP instead of a FP. FP may be easier to setup but its also less forgiving and less capable. FPs might be good as a short introduction or toy, but any real flying will pretty much need CP. (These are my opinnions.)

With a FP if you are losing altitude and need more lift fast, you have to get the head to spool up faster than it was (it was too slow to generate enough lift, which is why you were losing altitude). IE, you must react sooner as the heli will react slower.

With a CP the head should always be fast enough to generate lift as long as you have pitch, more pitch and it makes more lift. More power will be needed to maintain head speed as you increase pitch, but it doesn't need to spool up to get more lift. IE, you don't need to react as fast, as the heli will react when you do.

Also, FPs can't do nearly as much in flight as a CP can by design. They are limited to slow flight or hover basically... while a CP is only limited by power to weight, headspeed, and setup. (That and skill.)

With a FP you don't need any mixer for the collective and throttle stick, as throttle alone is used for altitude... But you may still need a rudder mixer to add more tail push to counter the additional torque the lift creates... Even airplane radios have mixers which probably would work for this, so i'd say for the FP you are fine. If, on the other hand, you go to CP you will need a collective and throttle mixer, which on most radios is throttle curves and pitch curves. Without looking at the instructions i can't tell if you have that or not, but even most airplane radios have heli programming in them.

I looked on Futabas site about your radio. It definately has no heli programming... And unless it has at least 2 mixers you can put on the left stick, you can't use it for a CP. The FP may still work with that radio though.