Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Honeybee initial setup HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Honeybee initial setup HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 PM
AirmanFirstClass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honeybee initial setup HELP

Hope someone can help me out on this...

I just got my very first r.c. flying machine, a Honeybee CP2, with the 6 channel radio and everything else, from Hobbies for Less.

In trying to get the thing to hover, I find it sliding to the left. Just as it seems to be "light on its skids" as the manual says, it slides to the left even though I have full right trim on (what I figure to be ) the cyclic stick. (i.e., the right stick, the left one has throttle yaw control).

If I try to add some right stick at take off, its too crazy and difficult to control. The heli banks too heavily and I have to lower the throttle.

If I try to fly at the park, the skid holds the heli in place (due to the grass) until it just pulls off balance to the left and again, I chicken out and cut the power to avoid a disaster.

How do I compensate for this leftward pull so I can get the unit in the air?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Gorgok

Default RE: Honeybee initial setup HELP

Persoanally i would:
Power up the controller and the heli; disconnect the motor though.
Center all trims.
Adjust the heli until the swash plate is flat (perpendicular to the main shaft in both elevator and aileron directions.
Test.
Trim transmitter until you counter the natural drift tendency (should be much much less once the swash is flat).

But i know nothing of that particular heli, this is just generic heli suggestions.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
duaneh1

Its normal for it to slide to the left, yes you give it some right stick to compensate, the reason its crazy and difficult to control is because your new at it, keep practicing, you'll get it.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to practice with minimal change of damaging your heli, read [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]
Also, the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439631] EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide version 16[/link] has a lot of good information.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Gorgok

ORIGINAL: duaneh1

Its normal for it to slide to the left, yes you give it some right stick to compensate, the reason its crazy and difficult to control is because your new at it, keep practicing, you'll get it.

Having full right trim and still sliding left, on the other hand, isn't normal. Which is why i suggested making sure the swash plate is flat.

But yeah, practicing and flying will teach your brain and hands to anticipate what your heli will do, and taking off while correcting for all its movements will become normal.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
AirmanFirstClass

Thanks for the tips.

I figured out how to disconnect the motors from the power source, just unplug the little molex connectors. But I don't see how to go about adjusting the swash plate. The instructions show how to change the blade tracking and adjust the gyro gain and that sort of thing, but that's about it.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
shrops_paul

Ive just bought a 4 channel honey bee (the FP one) and had my first flights after work this evening. Its hard to get the hang of! Gertainly no real flights occured, more some bouncing arounf the floor and tipping over.

Mine too tends to lean over to the left just as it gets light on the skids. If I just give it some beans and take off it the flies to the left. Probaly need to adjust the left/right rim on the right joystick a little I guess.

Does anyone else find that the top of the plastic bid slides right, fouling the control for the pitch? May need a blob of blutak to stop it sliding maybe?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:42 PM
AirmanFirstClass

Well,

I am glad I'm not the only one with these difficulties, even though that sounds selfish.

I had a little more success this AM and got the heli to bounce around a bit. Still sliding left, but I attatched the battery in a bettter way and I think that helped.

Has anyone here had any experience with a sim for the honeybee? That might be a good way to go for experience.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Gorgok

I am still assuming, but the links to the swash plate are metal rods with plastic ends, which can be screwed more or less onto the rod... Or then you can adjust the rods from the servos to the controls. Either way, those rods are what adjust it.

Before you go adjusting it though, you should check that it is a problem (as in you can see that its not perpendicular to the main shaft). If its not a problem then just practice more.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:20 PM
duaneh1

Attention NOOBS!! It is natural for it to slide left, and it very well may slide left if you give full right trim, the trim only makes small adjustments, may not be enought to compensate for the left shift caused by tail rotor. I just checked my heli, on full right trim, it doesen't slide either left or right, when it's about to get airborne-it then pitches to right, just a few clicks from full right trim-it does indeed slide left before pitching right. Every heli is different-so yours may have slight bias to the left, but no way to know until your hovering. Also when your hovering, you will notice a right tilt-that is also normal.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:24 PM
InsightGoalie

Yeah, don't trim your heli to take off straight. If you do that as soon as you are out of the ground effect you will tip to the right. I know I did it... Wrecked my main rotors. It's that ground effect that is scaring the crap out of me to being a total newb like you guys sound like too.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
AirmanFirstClass

test post
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
AirmanFirstClass

Thanks....

I added training gear and had some good results. I can get a handle on the leftward skid (which I now understand is normal) and should be able to hover pretty well soon enough!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
no8080

I have just bought a Honey Bee CP2. I have found mine slides a lot to the left and a little forward. I think my swash plate is not level.

My gain and proportional settings where not accurate out of the box either. SO I have spent a lot of time setting it up.

I have previous heli experience years ago.

Neil
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM
RCer22

I have one too and it tries to go to the left. Make sure the swash plate is level with the trims set in the center. I found that out of the three servos that control the swash plate one of them was pushing up too much because it wasn't centered. I felt that this was the reason that it tried to move the left when I add throttle. Being unable to ceter the servo through the Tx I turned the servo upside down and was able to center the control horn. This caused the link to have to be longer but it worked for me and now the thing hovers up strait.
If all the servos don't move the same as throttle is added the swash plate will tilt as it moves causing unwanted cyclic. Something to look at.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

This should help you out on setting up the swash-plate. There is only a slight differences between the two heli's.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3131294/tm.htm]Bdavison's E-flite Blade Assembly [/link]