Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Blade CX or Hirobo Lama?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade CX or Hirobo Lama?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Stealth X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX or Hirobo Lama?

i am new to the hobby (never flown anything before) and am looking for the EASIEST bird to learn on. i understand i may grow out of it quick, but i'd rather that then get so frustrated i give it up quick!

that being said i thought i had decided on the Blade CX. my problem is i would really like to buy it from someone local to my home so i can run over and get parts easily when i need them. my local shops (Oshawa, Ontario -just outside Toronto) dont carry the CX. dude says he can order it but he doesnt carry parts so would have to order them every time too. that doesnt sound good!

he does however carry the Esky Hirobo Lama 2. from a little research i can see this is also a beginners bird, but will it be as easy to fly as the CX?

any input and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks alot guys (and gals, just in case)!

Stealth X

Old 02-24-2006, 10:35 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Blade CX or Hirobo Lama?

They are virtually identical in their flight characteristics.
If the LHS has the Hirobo, get it.
Suggestions, get a box or two of each blade type. They are cheap.
Vince
Old 02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Stealth X

thanks Vince. i have just read alot of hype about how steady the CX is. also the hirobo is about $250 more than the CX, but if its a more solid unit (i read the CX has some problematic issues with parts breaking) i dont mind paying the extra $ at all.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 PM
rmbler

If you are referring to the Hirobo XRB sr Sky lama i would say hands down its a bit more money but a Much better heli i have both the CX and XRB no contest the XRB is sooo much better just get a box of A and B Blades it will come with extras in the box but if you are learning you will want more you get 4 sets 8 blades in a box for about $10.00. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Phil
Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
j beede

Why does the XRB cost so much more (almost 2x) than the BCX? It must be more than just the coreless motors.
...j
Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 AM
rmbler

I Cant say why its more other than the motors but they are a lot more money that the CX's I have had my XRB since September at that time i picked up two extra motors for about $40.00 each. The extras i purchased are still in the package. My point is The XRB is just a better handling/Made heli all the way around. It would be nice if you had a place LHS that you could try both. If cash is an issue as it is with me i would wait and get the XRB Just my opinion. What ever you decide good luck!!!
Regards,
Phil.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Stealth X

that does help, thankyou. the guy at my LHS just calls it the Hirobo Lama 2. is this the same as yours? in fact there are 2 local shops... one has it for $450, the other for $550 (this is Canadian of course) which made me suspect they may be different models even though both guys refer to them as the HL2....?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
PaveLow58

Here's an alternate viewpoint for you, presented respectfully and politely.

I would want to spend as little money as possible at the CX/Lama level of Coaxial RC helicopters.

I would not spend $200-$250 more than the CX for the same basic flight characteristics, when for the that same amount of money you could get a Blade CP (or comparable) with the Aerobatics kit and even the G3 simulator and training gear

Blade CX: $189

Blade CP: $219
AeroKit: $023
TrainGear:$010
G3 Sim: $200
------------------
Total: $452 Add Ray's Book for another $20 and you are on your way.

If you are 100% budget conscious and just want to tool around in the house, the Blade CX is the value deal.

If you want to immediately have room to grow, you want to look beyond the CX and Lama coaxial models.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Stealth X

i'm now the proud new owner of a Hirobo XRB SR Lama. thanks again for the advice. it turns out both my LHS had the same model but one guy wanted $100 more than the other!

well i guess i'll open it up and hope for some instructions! LOL

any tips/advice on keeping this bird in the air without busting it up are greatly appreciated!

thn again, Stealth
Old 02-25-2006, 09:09 PM
rmbler

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our nightmare (Just Kidding) you will love the lama and you will grow out of it only advise i can give you is check the box/packaging lots of stuff hidden in there blades tools ect. Happy Hovering.
Regards,
Phil.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Stealth X

thanks again Phil. i actually did think there were pieces missing last night, that last small box is almost hidden in there!

i also didnt realize i was going to need 8 AA's for the transmitter! DUH. i'm just waiting for the wife to get home now so i can go pick some up.

as far as growing out of it thats ok, i've got 2 sons who would love to take up the hobby also! plus this unit being an indoor flyer i'm sure it will always be good to show off for company etc...
Old 02-26-2006, 03:11 PM
CXela22

Heres what I heard by an expert at the hobby shop.
1. Blade CX flys very easily
2. Hirobo is the same, but more difficult. Better practice

After what happened to my CX, I suggest the Hirobo!
Good choice. I bet the servo is MUCH better!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Stealth X

well so far i've been able to keep'er steady for about 5 seconds... enough that i am TOTALLY ADDICTED. LOL. mind you i already had a couple hard landings and busted my landing gear and a blade. oh well the blades actually hit objects a few times with no damage so i'm impressed - i wish i had a bigger area!

i tried to krazy glue the landing gear but the glue doesnt want to hold. any suggestions, i'm trying to avoid taping it? the break itself isnt a big deal but does lower the integrity none the less.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Gage.

You can simply just tape the landing gear.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Stealth X

thanks. i just had my second run, it was going well for about 12min then i took a nasty spill and busted up all 4 blades! i think i should buy a MEGA PACK of blades! lol
Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
rmbler

As Far as replacing the blades I find it much easier to leave the screws off the underside of the blades its faster and really doesn't make a difference. But i agree when you go out to buy more get a couple boxes of both after a while you won't be breaking them as often.
Regards,
Phil.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Stealth X

thanks for the tip phil, those little nuts are very tedious to deal with! (no i'm not refering to a squirell molestation-haha) i just wish i had a slightly bigger area -i'm dealing with about an 10x15ft space... which isnt too bad but as soon as i get off centre i lose all my nerve and want to bring her down. a couple times i got all panicky and made WRONG manuevers, hence all the busted blades! LOL oh well, practice practice practice!!