Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Blade CX seemes dangerous.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Blade CX seemes dangerous.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:07 PM
CXela22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CX seemes dangerous.

SOOOOO, i just recently purchased a blade CX.
After a flight, i landed it, turned the controller off. Then, out of no where, it MALFUNCUNED and went right twords me. I dodged it, and when it stoped i quicky jumped and disconnected the battery.
Stupid me; I changed where the battery wire hung out, and flew again. It flew PERFECT, i mean PERFECT! Then I land it, turn it off, same but it went into a wall and totaled the propellers.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And also, how do you FIX the dang thing!!!

[:'(][:@][&o][:-][X(] UGH!!!

Sorry if i flamed, this is right after the crash,
Old 02-26-2006, 03:35 PM
ufoman

Default RE: Blade CX seemes dangerous.

As a rule never turn off the transmitter controller first after flying. Turn off the helicopter and then unplug the battery if possible then lastly the transmitter. Radds school of flight explains the order to follow for beginning heli pilots.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:37 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recomend that you power down the model before you turn off the trasnmitter.

The transmitter is the first on, and the last off.

Vince
Old 02-26-2006, 03:57 PM
CXela22

ok. well, im gettin it fixed.

BUT, is it a bad servo?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:11 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Bad servo? No.

Turning the transmitter off before turning off the helicopter means the helicopter receiver is no longer receiving the strongest signal it is tuned to. Since the receiver is no longer getting information from the strongest signal it's tuned to (your transmitter) it will begin to pickup the next closest thing, which usually ends up being random radio transmissions in the air that are closest to your set frequency. The RX picks up on these and interprets them as signals from your transmitter and sends that info to the rest of the helicopter. Since the information it's recieving is totally random, the helicopter usually ends up going nuts trying to obey, often demolishing it's self in the process.

Basically, NEVER, EVER turn your transmitter off first. Ever!

The order is ALWAYS:
Power on:
Transmitter power on first.
Helicopter power on second.
Power off:
Helicopter power off first.
Transmitter power off second.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
newbladepilot

Nice response to that credence,

I learned from that and I already knew the power up/down steps for my Blade CP. Now I know why.

The only thing I can add is about the PCM thing. (I'm sure credence already knows this but for those who may not)

As I understand this, the higher quality radios have PCM which I think means Pulse Code Modulation.

A better-cleaner form of transmitting the RF(radio frequency) signals from the TX(transmitter) to the RX(receiver) i.g. less interference

I know the TX that comes with the E-Flite Blade CP and the CX doesn't have this feature. And I know that's common for other comparable models.

Anyway, my point is, the signal is already somewhat compromised even with the TX and the RX on at the same time. When you turn off the "beacon of light", so-to-speak, (I say that because when there is a "glitch", these happen with the TX on, everything twitches. The RX is seeing a brighter beacon of light overpowering the one it SHOULD be seeing. By turning off the TX first your taking away the correct, bright beacon, then the RX will "see other lights" from any of the billions of radio signals zooming around out there, i.g. cell phones, florescent lighting, I think maybe businesses security sytems, garage door openers, key less entries, and walkie -talkies (yeah, I said it [walkie-talkies])

So follow the power up/down steps and keep your TX batteries fresh.

ORIGINAL: credence

Bad servo? No.

Turning the transmitter off before turning off the helicopter means the helicopter receiver is no longer receiving the strongest signal it is tuned to. Since the receiver is no longer getting information from the strongest signal it's tuned to (your transmitter) it will begin to pickup the next closest thing, which usually ends up being random radio transmissions in the air that are closest to your set frequency. The RX picks up on these and interprets them as signals from your transmitter and sends that info to the rest of the helicopter. Since the information it's recieving is totally random, the helicopter usually ends up going nuts trying to obey, often demolishing it's self in the process.

Basically, NEVER, EVER turn your transmitter off first. Ever!

The order is ALWAYS:
Power on:
Transmitter power on first.
Helicopter power on second.
Power off:
Helicopter power off first.
Transmitter power off second.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Gage.

Yes never turn the transmitter off before the helicopter it says that in the book if you would have read it
Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
newbladepilot

ORIGINAL: Gage.

Yes never turn the transmitter off before the helicopter it says that in the book if you would have read it
That's where I saw that.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Butuz

The Blade CX is not the dangerous thing around here CXela22 , YOU ARE.

Might be a good idea to read the manual?

Butuz
Old 03-01-2006, 12:02 AM
CXela22

ORIGINAL: Butuz

The Blade CX is not the dangerous thing around here CXela22 , YOU ARE.

BOO YA!!!!!!!

And for the manual, I read thoughorly. Nope, notin bout it.
And I found out about the transmiter at the lobby, so thanks.

Later puting:
I was told that there was something
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Treets

Well as everyone else, I too have had this problem. Only thing is, is that it burned up a channel on my ESC thus everytime power was supplied to it, it wen't full throttle. Guess I should have read the directions a little clearer huh? It cost me $50.00 extra bones for a new ESC.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 AM
WhtBronco

Well higher end radios can have PCM, but not necessarily. It's still an option. I have both PCM and FM and during normal flight cannot tell a difference. I prefer PCM for helis simply for the fail safe feature. The servos will return to a preset setting when the Tx signal is lost. PCM also can have a downside though in that you can get locked out from control where as with FM Rx's you will just get interference. Pros and Cons I prefer FM in my planes and PCM in my helis.

Considering the close proximity of flight the radio system with the BCX seems quite adequate IMO.

Unless there is a serious radio malfunction the BCX will not take off on it's own unless contact with the Tx is lost. I made the mistake years ago of turning the Tx off first and had to chase down, well really just go find as I couldn't keep up, a 50mph nitro buggy. Same situation with a plane nearly cost me a finger. Attention to detail counts in R/C.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
rjm1982

CXela ... you must not have read too thoroughly...try page 15 again...

Quoted directly.

Each time before you fly you must ALWAYS turn on the transmitter power first before connecting
the flight battery to the 4-in-1 unit. Never connect the flight battery to the 4-in-1 unit before first
powering on the transmitter. Never turn off the transmitter before disconnecting the flight battery
from the 4-in-1 unit first.
Also, be certain to fully extend the transmitter antenna before flight.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:13 AM
PaveLow58

Wow. Sounds like you are suggesting that the consumer's inability or unwillingness to read will actually hurt his wallet and increase the wealth of the vendor.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Treets

that's what happened with me. Hurt my wallet and they made money off of it. I guess they don't call us newbies for nothin LOL
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM
PaveLow58

Well, if you learned something and you know you learned something then that's great for you!

You really want to use this little helicopter to learn all you can about electronics, mechanics, aerodynamics and best practices.

This includes some basic checklisting and procedures that you would certainly have to use if you were going to fly the real thing. Pilots are the most disciplined people you will meet. A pilot flying an ILS Instrument Approach processes more information than a surgeon.

I just saw that a couple of teenagers crashed a stolen airplane in Joshua Tree National Park, California because they only took off with 1/4 tank of gasoline. I would say that Microsoft Flight Simulator should start up with random fuel quantity levels (and other potential problems) as a way of training students to actually preflight the airplane before just jumping in and taking off.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Keep 'em Flying!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: PaveLow58

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

That's a good quote, I like that .
Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 PM
CXela22

Well, if you learned something and you know you learned something then that's great for you!
O ya, I learned

You really want to use this little helicopter to learn all you can about electronics, mechanics, aerodynamics and best practices.
Im hodin out on you guys. im in the 7th grade. My dad was wondering when id get started on mechanics so he is very supportive on this.

NOW you can see why im stubbron to read it....
BUT i did watch the dvd that came with it!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Norrmannen

Always the easy way out hah?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
CXela22

ORIGINAL: Norrmannen

Always the easy way out hah?

YOU BETCHYA!

thats why DVDs are so good to me. Less reading. I Already get enough of that in reading class&homework.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM
barndoorski

Not to preach here but I wish I would have read more when I was young. The most successful people in the world read the most. If you want to be better than the next guy you need to know more. If you want to be wealthy do what wealthy people do, if you want to be the best heli pilot do what the best do, and then burn a lot! of fuel. Knowledge is power, your power. READ and enjoy.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
CXela22

ORIGINAL: barndoorski

READ and enjoy.
um........
Heck why not. Just i might not enjoy.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:52 PM
gforeman

This is a funny thread for sure. I know others with RC Cars who think that the transmitter actually turns off the vehicle!