Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

$2 knockoff blade training gear

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

$2 knockoff blade training gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 PM
jhunter68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2 knockoff blade training gear

OK Not trying to sound like a genius but it occured to me when I read the various posts regarding not being able to attach training gear that some people might actually be spending the $10-$15 bucks some are charging for ping pong balls and wire.

Take 4 ping pong balls ($1.99) drill the smallest hole (1/16) you can through the center (as close as you can eye).

Find an old umbrella snip the end spines at the desired length. I used 9", giving me an 18"+ footprint. Then as I grew more confident I shortened it. I trimmed with a dremmel but wire snips will do it. If no umbrella and for bigger birds you could use the straight section of a wire hanger.....or whatever you got something somewhere in your house. Push 4 wires throuh 4 balls. If necessary use a thin thread of duct tape to creat a stop for the ball in each direction on the wire.

For the middle connector, I used a lid to the new style 35mm film canister (you know the clear kind). With the same drill bit go in through the side at 45 degrees and then when your bit breaks the surface on the inside of the circle angle the bit up through the top for the second hole. This will create the necessary tension to keep the wires from just slipping out. Of course if you do not have a film canister (because no one uses film anymore) you could use a small block of wood (drill holes small and jam wire in (possible notch wire with snippers for grip), or you could use a beer bottle cap, crimp the cap around the wire after insertion for security.

As far as attaching to the bird to the gear...use thin wire...or twist ties......or those plastic strips cops use as handcuffs......or bubblegum. The whole project took me 5 minutes once I had the balls.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 AM
AJ DRAGON

Default RE: $2 knockoff blade training gear

Hi

Picture picture.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Gorgok

Training gear is quite simple to do. Anything will work really, depending on how much you need to support, how much you want it to give, and how much you want to spend.

Arrow shafts, dowel rods, aluminium tube and others all work. Tennis balls, wifful balls, ping pong balls...

Of course, there is nothing wrong with spending the money either.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 AM
rjm1982

I like the gear that you buy for one simple reason. It doesnt go to waste. Its made of the same cf stuff that the rest of the heli frame is, and as stuff breaks once you progress past them, you have material you can cut to length and use.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
WhtBronco

I tried my Raptor 50 training gear on the BCX, but it didn't work to well. JK.

I made some training gear for the Blade CP and Blade CX using ping pong balls and CF rods in a simple X form. I wrapped the center of the X with kevlar thread and soaked it in CA and just wire tie each leg of the gear to the skid where it crosses it. Simple and cheap.