Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Noob Question About Hovering.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Noob Question About Hovering.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Stealth X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question About Hovering.....

so i'm starting to get some confidence after about 10 sessions on my Hirobo XRB Sky Robo Lama. my question is this - why wont it hover by itself above 2ft? when i give it throttle it will rise but as soon as i back off a little to stop the rising it sinks back down to abt 1-2ft from the ground. it also sinks like this when i make any movement (unless the movement is extremely subtle).

is there something i can do to remedy this? or is this just common physics of an RC helicopter??
Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob Question About Hovering.....

It will not remain static out of ground effect (OGE).

Unless the lift the heli is generating exactly matches its weight, the heli will either ascend or descend. The speed controls only have so many discrete steps. And the lift varies with the dropping battery voltage. So, no, the heli will not stay at a particular height. You have to fly the heli.

You do see more vertical stability right at the boundary of ground effect, since the lift factors increase close to the ground.

Fun bird. Make a bent wire army man, and try to use the skid to hook him. You provide the imagination for the rescue scenario.

Vince
Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Stealth X

thanks for the info Vince. i actually read your idea in another thread and have been looing forward to trying it! i have yet to complete the training practices the book has laid out... but i couldnt resist taking it from my open basement area and flying it arond the living room last night -no accidents! i still need to get comfortable flying it from different angles and not just from behind.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Stealth X

another question... what is nose in (tail in etc..) hovering? i realize this prbly cant be accomplished with my Hirobo but am curious what it entails?

also what are the biggest differences i will find when i graduate to a CP Heli? is the transmitter different? are there more controls to deal with?

it seems from what i've read flying forward can be challenging on a standard Heli... why is that?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a read through the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439631]EHBG/Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide[/link]

Nose in is flying with the nose towards you and the tail away from you.

The biggest difference from the XRB to the CP... hmmm....

Instability

The XRB is inherently stable. The CP requires you to keep it stable.
The XRB is a marble in a bowl. You can wiggle the bowl around and make the marble move, but you really have to do things wrong to drop the marble on the floor.
The CP is a marble on a bowling ball. You have to constantly make very small, very accurate corrections to the bowling ball to keep the marble on top.

Not to worry, there are a lot of people here willing to help. In addition to the EHBG noted above, when you go to a CP, you will likely want to follow [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radd's School of Rotary Flight[/link]

Vince
Old 03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Stealth X

thanks again vince, you're a great help!

so radio controler wise i will find when i upgrade things are basically the same?