Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

RAAAAAAAAAd crash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
CXela22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAAAAAAAAAd crash!

Ok, I have a blade CX.

So it was kinda windy here in colorado but i got a stable hover at 10 feet. Then out of no where it plumited to its doom and broke a couple parts. It just shook out of no where. Must have bent the blades to make them hit each other. O well this hobby cost alot!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
dsltek432

Default RE: RAAAAAAAAAd crash!

It will get costly if you take a heli meant for indoor flight and fly it outside in the wind.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

CP micro/mini arent immune to wind/gusts either. it's up to pilot skill/reaction to compensate on the collective stick.

i got dumped a couple weekends ago flying my trex/x400 in 25 mph winds. was doing slow circuits at head height, when the gust hit it hard, pushed the heli into the floor and flipped it over. $15 crash...couldve been worst if i didnt hit the throtle hold as fast as i did.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
RCer22

Pilot skills should also include knowing when to leave the thing on the ground.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM
walter2323

One thing about helicopters is the crashes are a helluva lot more spectacular than with planes. I've bashed my Slo-V (electric plane with foam wings) around an awful lot and nothing interesting ever happens - I just flip it upright, straighten the wings, and fly again.

The heli on the other hand - wow. I got a blade CP yesterday and flew it twice today. Both ended in awesome crashes - tail strike, tip over, then main rotor parts everywhere! You don't get to watch your airplanes tear themselves apart on crashing, or make that awesome WHAK WHAK WHAK noise until you can react and kill throttle

I'm out $40 for parts from today alone. 2 main rotor sets and a tail rotor.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

I crashed my trex in the wind the other day also. I made a hard right turn and down she went, a little over $100 later and shes about ready to fly again.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a very slight possibility that you experianced settling with power. In a calm air hover, the chopper can settle slightly downward into its own prop wash and stall the main rotor. Just drops like a rock.