Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Do I need a replacement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Do I need a replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 AM
SR71 Blackbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a replacement

Hi Everybody. I have a walkera 22d 4 chn. What happened was while taking the tail boom off I forgot to disconnect one of the support arms that clicked onto the steel shaft that runs the rear rotor pitch. I think I spun the servo while it was off. Now when I turn the thing of It makes a constant clicking sound. I think I'll need to replace the servo's. I might as well do all three since I've read it's not a bad idea. Does any body know what to do? If I need new servos where should I get them. Thanks allot.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Do I need a replacement

Sounds like you stripped the gears on the servos.

I've been very happy with GWS Naro/STD Pro servos on my micro FP helis They're reasonably quick for cyclic response and very smooth. For the tail, you should use a quick servo such as the Hitec HS55 or SR75(?) by eflight.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
SR71 Blackbird

Thanks alot I'll give them a try.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
SR71 Blackbird

Can I just replace two of the servos and leave the stock servo at the tail? Are most servos plug and play? Are there any compatibility issues? I know I need to do more research I just haven't had the time yet. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Any servo should work aslong as it's the right size, of course. This means micro servos. Theres more to choosing servos than size though. The faster the servo you get for your cyclic, the quicker your helicopter will respond to input, but the less overall torque (or holding power) the servo will have under high load. This really isn't a problem on micro FP birds like the 22D as they really don't exert enough torque to affect the servos.
You CAN mix and match servos between the cyclic and tail, infact most people do. What I WOULDN'T do, is mix servos for your cyclic control, as two different servos will most likely have different movement speeds and torque, resulting in the control feeling "wierd" probably.
If your tail servo is working fine, then i'd leave it unless you have reason to upgrade it. Obviously, sticking a better servo on there will work alot better for your tail control, but unless you're having control problems, just replace what you need to. If that means getting 2 matching servos for cyclic, or just one servo for the tail, then do that, just don't mix servos for your cyclic control.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
SR71 Blackbird

Thanks credence, I need just one servo for the tail. I'll get the one you recommended. I've haven't really got a decent hover, but I think the cyclic servos are working well. I'm trying to get it set up properly. What I did is get eye level with the main blades and set the trims so with no input the blades spin flat and level. Is that a god idea? I'll keep looking for info on proper set up. This hobby is challenging, but thats what makes is fun.