Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

how do I use a pitch gauge

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

how do I use a pitch gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
roadracer698

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I use a pitch gauge

I got a pitch gauge today but it has no instructions and I couldn't find any here, could someone tell me how to use this thing? I see how it hooks onto the blades but after that I'm lost. Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
AJ DRAGON

Default RE: how do I use a pitch gauge

Hi

Here is a video I came across wile surfing on the net.

[link=http://www.helifever.com/videos/setup/pitch-gauge/how-pitch-gauge-works/]How Your Pitch Gauge Works[/link]
Old 03-05-2006, 01:37 PM
roadracer698

awesome, thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
InsightGoalie

As you can see here... Man that guy was annoying.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
EZ Money

I gonna go ahead and hit the stop button. AAAARAAGH!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Charlie

Is it just me or is that guy nuts in that video? I've been setting up my helis for years with a pitch gauge and I have never moved the flybar to line up with the pitch gauge, I've moved the pitch gauge to line up with the flybar. I always make sure my flybar is perfectly level. How can you get the right reading when your moving the flybar around?
I don't use the same kind of pitch gauge as him but I'm sure they all work the same (your flybar should be level) and I'm pretty sure I have been doing it right over the years because my helis fly like a dream.

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
tippy

Charlie: ... I always make sure my flybar is perfectly level. How can you get the right reading when your moving the flybar around?
It depends on the heli model. Some models (like the Raptor in the video) have a 1:1 movement between the angle of the flybar and the pitch change it produces at the main blade. In other words, 1 degree of flybar tilt produces 1 degree of pitch change at the main rotor blade. So long as there is a 1:1 movement and the pitch gage is lined up to the flybar, a correct reading will result.

On the other hand, the pitch on a model that does NOT have a 1:1 ratio has to be read when the angles (flybar and pitch) are equal. The only place that happens is when the flybar is perfectly level (perpendicular to the main rotor shaft).

So ... you are right ... if your heli flybar to main blade pitch change is NOT 1:1 then you do have to make sure the flybar is level. On the Raptor (1:1), although it's adviseable to read it with the flybar square, it's not absolutely necessary. That's how the "commentator" was reading the pitch with a tilted flybar ... because it was a Raptor (1:1).

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Anybody watch the crash video on that site AJ Dragon posted above? Wild! Gotta feel the pilot's pain there... looks like the tail rotor caught the ground to me.?.?