Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Can't get off the ground

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Can't get off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 AM
jomuj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get off the ground

Hi everyone!

I just finished putting together my new Raptor 50 Helli, but i'm having some trouble getting it off the ground.

When it starts to get light on the skids it just starts to spin to the left uncontrollably[] I've tried reversing the gyro and bypassing it, but it still does the same thing.

Also, when I manage to keep it somewhat under control, it just shakes real badly and doesn't even lift off.

I'd really appreciate it if someone experienced could help me with some tips.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:50 AM
tippy

Default RE: Can't get off the ground

jomuj: ... When it starts to get light on the skids it just starts to spin to the left uncontrollably[] I've tried reversing the gyro and bypassing it, but it still does the same thing.
If you bypass the gyro and it does it, then you know for sure the heli is not trimmed correctly. Turning (nose) left means you are not compensating for the torque generated ... ie ... not enough (nose) right t/r pitch.

What gyro do you have? What TX do you have? Are you in Heading Hold or Rate mode? Is the trim on the heli set up correctly? How far does your t/r pitch change? Are your t/r blades installed in the right direction? Is your t/r spinning in the right direct? etc. etc. etc. etc.
jomuj: ... it just shakes real badly and doesn't even lift off.
Is your blades in the grips properly tensioned (not to tight)? How's your RPM, is it too low? What's your pitch settings (at the blades)? What's your throttle curve settings? etc. etc. etc. etc.

Need more details please ...

Go to [link=http://www.raptortechnique.com]Raptortechnique [/link] how to see to properly trim the t/r system.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Charlie

You say you tried reversing the gyro and that didn't work so I would say it's probably your gain is to high or to low.
Also, when I manage to keep it somewhat under control, it just shakes real badly and doesn't even lift off
I would say your gain is to high, but that's just a guess. It could be a number of thing, is there any way you can find someone that knows about helis to help you get it setup right? If you have to drive two or three hours to find someone, it would be well worth it, there is nothing harder to do then trying to fly a heli that is not setup right.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
bikz

the setup is wrong........u have to get someone experienced(if u are not that is!) to fine tune it
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

http://www.raptortechnique.com Read the section on radio setup and gyros.
See also http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-tip-002.html

You want to set your tail servo up so that when the servo is centered in normal mode (light off) the tail pitch slider is 4.5mm from the tail case.

Set your rudder ATV's to 100

Then set the limit pot on the gyro till it gets the most deflection it can w/o binding in EITHER direction. It will bind one way before other, don't worry just make sure it isn't binding.

Give RIGHT tail rotor and make sure the servo PULLS the rod forwards. If thats backwards reverse Channel 4 in the radio.

Put the avcs/normal switch in AVCS and make sure you have a solid light on the gyro. Pick up the head and move the nose to the left (counter clockwise) the servo should again pull the rod frontwards. If thats backwards reverse the switch on the gyro.

Also make sure your tail blades are spinning counter clock wise when viewing the right side of the heli. The leading blade should move up and into the downwash from the rotor.

Also ensure you only have 1/4 twist in the belt and that the belt is tight but not taught (3mm of side play behind the main gear is good)
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
jomuj

Thanks for the info guys! Turns out that I had the belt for the tail rotor the wrong way around and apprently you have to set the gyro in heading hold mode then turn it on (GY401) Yes I know it's a stupid thing to miss, but thats what it means to be a novice . Hahaha. Anyway, when I try to take off, it starts to flip over to the left. I figured out that I had the trim all the way to one side for the reason. Fixed that but couldn't see if it made any difference because I ran out of battery power.

I would say your gain is to high, but that's just a guess. It could be a number of thing, is there any way you can find someone that knows about helis to help you get it setup right? If you have to drive two or three hours to find someone, it would be well worth it, there is nothing harder to do then trying to fly a heli that is not setup right.
I'm affraid I can't, i'm only 16 and live on a Island, one and a 30 minutes to the jetty and 1 hour 30minutes to the mainland where the hobbyshop I got my heli from is. So it's not easy for me to get away.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! I hope I can get off the ground tomorrow after I charge up!