Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Calibre any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:14 PM
bikz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibre any good?

hey guys,

I just wanted to know whether the Caliber is a good option. This is going to be my '2'nd chopper (the first being an antique Shuttle! which is still a gem!)
anyways its going pretty cheap brand new with an OS32. for about 200pounds in the UK. is the price ok and how does it fare with the Raptor because if i dont get this i will get a Raptor back home since the spares are easily available and cheaper.
cheers.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 AM
PlaneHeli

Default RE: Calibre any good?

bikz,

Cant really comment on whether its a good 2nd heli, I dont know the shuttle.

My first heli was a GMP Cricket, .21 powered I believe. That was 25 years ago. Near impossible to learn on, fixed pitch and bad (new) motor.

Ive got a Kyosho M24, and wouldnt recommend that one.

Ive got a Caliber 30, A guy set it up for me a few months ago, and I was amazed how easy and stable it was to hover. The parts are fairly pricey for it here in Brunei.
From some of the reviews Ive read the caliber 30 is very stable for beginners, yet also good for intermediate, maybe even advanced.

I cant comment on the raptor, but spare parts availability and price should weight heavily in your decision. I would imagine parts may be difficult in Ipoh unless youve got a well stocked model shop.

Ive been impressed with the caliber 30 so far.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
bikz

thanks for the info man,

i might swing towards the caliber, im not sure yet....as u said the spares are a big plus factor when we are talkin bout choppers as we cant repair em like how planes are repaired....and in Ipoh the only spares available are for raptors but i could still get anything else including kyosho parts from KL......

anywayz why did u get the caliber, was it because it was easily available or u just heard it was good?
cheers.

ps: how is the flying scene in brunei?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
PlaneHeli

Deleted
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 PM
PlaneHeli

bikz,

A friend of mine here in Brunei has the Caliber and said it was very good. I did some research on the internet and all the reviews said it was very good. But basically it came down to the only LHS having a package for Caliber 30, OS32H engine, Futaba 7CHP radio + 1 extra servo, starter motor, starter motor shaft, glow stick, 1 gallon fuel for $1700 BND which I considered quite a good deal.

Also they did carry some spares for the Caliber.

Ive heard Raptor parts are cheaper though, if they have them in KL maybe its the way to go. I dont know much about them though. A local guy here has the kit from China that is based on the Raptor i believe. Cheaper to buy. Im not sure how he gets on with spare parts though.

Singapore and Hong Kong are normally the cheapest. But I noticed on the internet, the Hobby shop spare parts prices in Singapore seemed quite pricey to.

Flying scene fairly quiet here. There is no club at present (apparently some in fighting caused it to collapse) and no proper flying area set aside. Basically the local flyers here are using a cleared construction site to fly (until the start developing it)
Its sandy and rough. There are no nice grass fields to fly from which is a shame.

Cheers Cal83