Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
poiyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Dave I hear ya!! Looking into a part-time job so I can better afford this bloody addiction!
cheers
Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM
poiyt

Jens you're an absolute beginner? Many of us heli flyers started on a Blade CX (or similar) and then, when we got our "heli legs" on that little number, we moved up to a Blade CP (or similar).. but whatever you do, if you're just at the very early stages, I think we all recommend you go thru RADDs training

welcome & good luck!

Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
poiyt

Toby what happened? the lipo crapped out & took the rx w/ it? was it the stock lipo?
thx
Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
millst

yip, was a stock lipo.
i think it was my fault.
i made the mistake of accidentally leaving it plugged in, when i found it, it had drained away to nothing.
it charged up ok, but then i ran it up in the helicopter, it started out ok so i flew it, after about 5 minutes i had a serious loss of power and when i looked, one of the cells had ruptured.
when i ran it back up again on my spare battery, channel one on the receiver did not work
must have been a surge or even possibly some of the fluid got into the rx.

i pulled the battery out and threw it on the ground (there was dew on the ground),
then i remembered science class - lithium + H20 = fun
kids, don't try that one at at home.
probably a timely reminded to be careful with your lithium batteries, they can be dangerous, and when it says keep them away from water, they are not joking.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:41 PM
choppersrule

ORIGINAL: poiyt

Dave I hear ya!! Looking into a part-time job so I can better afford this bloody addiction!
cheers
Jeff
Jeff,

I was kinda kidding about the part time job, and watching what you eat. The however is, it wouldn't take that much time in a part time job to get what you want. It's been a long time ago, but when I first got married, we didn't have poop. I worked 2 full time jobs for almost 2 years, so I wouldn't have to pay interest on a loan.. I'm a gypsy at heart.

As you know, I'm the old fart around here, but still work. Keeps me in shape too. Guess that's why I now I have 7 helis.. Just bought a CP Pro today, just for something else to do.

Hang in there, I know it's frustrating,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
SkyUp

Hi Toby,

Sorry to hear that your heli is down.
Is your CPD4 OK? (since you mentioned getting FS8)
Do you now think the CPD4 caused a problem?
Do you think you can get another RX for the Falcon?

Wonder if you can possibly use CH5 instead of CH1. I think CH5 is an unused channel and could easily be swapped out on the RX but not sure about the TX ... maybe an email to Art-Tech would be worth a try ...

... keep us posted on any progress ... hope you get it all worked out soon.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
poiyt

wow... lucky you're not in the hosp. ER even now! Does your charger have a cutoff, or were you using stock charger also? Not volt cutoff?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 PM
millst

stock charger, might have to invest in a real one also.
no, cpd4 is not damaged, it is still actuating the servos correctly, its just when i apply roll on the tx nothing happens, when i plug the servo directly into the rx i get the same thing.
I've pulled apart the tx and checked all the connectors, will try it on a sim to make sure its sending correctly but i'm pretty sure the problem is the RX.
i might have a try with swapping channels on the tx so that roll is on channel 5, i'm sure this must be possible by swapping the wires around which might actually get me flying again.

Toby
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
SkyUp

Toby,

Well good luck on getting it working again.
You can probably just get another RX from Hobby Lobby, although I know it's not on their parts list for the Falcon.
Maybe they can get it for you. If not, you may be able to find it elsewhere, I think it's used for other RC.
I think the part is Esky 100C Rx
I know Art-Tech has them but not sure they sell retail.

Best of luck,

Dave
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
poiyt

Toby, FWIW I've used the Hobbico Quick Field Charger Mk2 for months now, and I rave about it (I chg lipos only, but it'll do all 3 types of batts)

here's the link: http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html

the real beauty of this thing is that it charges 2 batts at a time (HUGE time saver) and has an auto full-volt cutoff w/ audible & visual (blinking) alarm... runs off my car
battery

it also has failsafe circuitry to ensure that it cannot overcharge the lipos, as well as fault-detection circuitry that wll prevent it from charging a bad lipo (which could indeed be dangerous!)

about $50 at my LHS; I'm very pleased

and to keep an eye on lipo voltages, I use the Esky voltmeter from helidirect- small, cheap, accurate, and works like a charm

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=849

hope this helps
Jeff

Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Heli wreck

OH MY GOD! Ya seen the Falcon 3D SE Helicopter, Aluminum bling. As seen on Art-tech website. How much $$$$$$ I gotta get one.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:45 AM
bjett80

Jens,

Welcome to the heli addiction.

I got started with a cheap, almost indestructable heli, the Honey Bee MK2 ... cost was $98 on sale.(HL has an
improved model for $148 now).

Looking back, if I was choosing between heli's or heli's with the co-pilot, or simulator, I would still go with the MK2.

Here's why :

1) If you're not crashing then you're not pushing beyond your abilities, and you have to push your abilities to expand them.

2) The MK2 is not a stable heli .... and the constant (random?) movement of the heli gives me lots of practice in controlling
the heli in different flight positions. The short time I flew the Falcon it was very stable and presented few opportunities to
practice "recovery" skills.

3) Fear: At first, I was scared of the little MK2. Last night I was flying it in the living room. That isn't going to happen with a
big bird like the Falcon...too big and too much power ! I'll be scared of the Falcon for a long time.

4) Simulator's are great. I like "Clearview". But the heli's on simulators are predictable ... they don't exhibit the seemingly
random movement of a real heli.

5) Money : I crashed my MK2 twice in the garage today practicing pirouettes. Definitely would have broken blades on the
Falcon ... that's what, 2 * $24 or $48 dollars. The MK2 damage ... $0 dollars.

6) Complexity: The MK2 is fixed pitch and very simple in construction. The Falcon has more parts than a swiss watch. It's
taking a little time for me to learn maintenance on the MK2, the Falcon is still a little overwhelming.

In a perfect world, I would buy a little heli like the Mk2 with carbon fiber blades and a Falcon with the co-pilot. Start on the MK2,
use it to practice skills, and progress to the Falcon slowly as my skills improved.

I expect everyone has a different perspective on learning. I'm enjoying the challenge and enduring the frustrations, but I
think like everything else, it's practice, practice,practice.

Barry
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 AM
a68fan

Good morning all!!!

2 things:

1. I have dodged another bullet with the 'ol Falcon.... Replaced ESC, set up & bench tested, all was well.... Went to try 'er out,
spooled up, round she went... and around, and around and around.... RATS!!!! @#$%$^^%^^&&^%%&*^$#@@&(!!!!!!
Gyro cooked??.... Further inspection found black signal wire of extention from gyro to tail servo had pulled out from pin.

2. Received my HDX300SE yesterday.... Lotta parts, no instructions....

Allen
Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
poiyt

OMG INDEED!!! Heli Wreck do you have a link to the blinged-up Falcon???!!!!!!
thx!!!
Jeff
Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM
poiyt

****ALERT!!!**** *****ALERT!!!***** *****ALERT!!!!****

BLINGED-UP FALCON!!!!

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=151

wow wow wow!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
bjett80

Maybe we know why the Falcon 3D shipment was delayed.

Diverting production line resources for the Falcon SE maybe ?

They could sure turn this frustrated customer into a satisfied customer if they sent me the bling-bling version in
place of the regular version !
Old 08-31-2006, 04:20 PM
rmathews
My Feedback: (1)

As a Newbe to helis,Blade CX & Lama3 that I'm getting comfortable with, I ordered the Falcon that is a lot of bang per buck.Hope I get a good one but if not there are a lot of great guys here to give me help.

Dave/Choppersrule,I started r/c with rudder only, gee I hope that the wind don,t start to blow,aimed free flite type planes in 1955 so I guess I,m an a newbe/old guy here.I,m sure having lots of fun with these rotatory wing things,kinda like the old rudder only days,but I sure am enjoying the learning. Rich
Old 09-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Gary Morris

Just a reminder to all Falcon owners, you need to read the revised manual, I can't stress this enough!!!!!!!!!!!! The manual states very clearly that you should never fully discharge your lipoly battery, and actually you should never discharge a 3 cell pack below 9 volts! When you do discharge your 3 cell lipoly pack below 9 volts you not only ruin it you run the risk of explosion or fire! In the manual it also states to never use a swollen or mushy pack for the same reason! If you can't read they you shouldn't be using a Lipoly battery pack, I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh but it's a fact, if you abuse this battery type you can be seriously injured or even killed!
As someone said they "think" they lost channel 1 because the cell ruptured and the chemical entered the receiver, Duh!!! Yes it will ruin your receiver and anything else it touches!
Please, Please, Please.....READ THE MANUAL!!!

Gary
Old 09-01-2006, 07:08 AM
poiyt

Gary, dead-on again, as always!!!

Kinda begs the question: how do you know when you're nearing 9V? Here's my cheap solution:

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=849

But usually I stop WAY before that; the moment I sense the slightest power drop, down on the pad she goes!!

Be safe!!

Jeff

Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 PM
ct420

That falcon SE looks pretty nice. Anyone know a reseller who sells them? I can't find them for sale anywhere...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
poiyt

ORIGINAL: ct420

That falcon SE looks pretty nice. Anyone know a reseller who sells them? I can't find them for sale anywhere...

ct420, HobbyLobby is the sole retailer... they're the sole retailer and said today they're looking into it & will adv on their site

price and availability unknown at this time
Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
evoIX

yea how do you guys know when you are flying that the lipos voltage is going down? guestimate?

and did any of you falcon owners try the tx to computer cable provided. i was wondering if that piece works on the sims on my computer like clearview.

thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
poiyt

evoix, for me, the moment I see a drop in power (esp climbing response), I set 'er down..

then I take off the canopy, and use 2 of those little "mini-beach fans" to cool the motor

after 5 min or so (or when the motor's cool), I slap a new batt in and away I go!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
evoIX

so there is no such thing as accurate measurement to know if the lipos have low voltage while flying?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
millst

The Falcon ESC automatically detects low voltage and slowly reduces the main rotor speed until it stops. (even though there may still be enough power to spin the rotors).
It actually leaves the receiver on though so if you shouldn't technically be able to run the battery below its limit if you take it out as soon as it starts spinning down.
My mistake was that I accidentally left the battery connected after doing some work on it.
The receiver ran the battery voltage down below its limit overnnight and fragged it.
Completely my mistake as I was aware of the dangers of a flat battery with Lipo's I just forgot the battery was still connected and got sidetracked doing something else.
I thought I might have gotten away with it as it charged back up ok without any swelling, however the cell ruptured during flight which is what took out my receiver.

Cheers
Toby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.