Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Avi__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mini Electric is here the Falcon 3D!!

I am asking about the blades becuase I would like to make the order of the heli with an additional set of blades already. What aerobatics were you able to perform with the wooden blades?
Thanks,
Avi.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Gary Morris

Not sure about the weight of the blades but it uses the same blades as the Revo CP that hobby Lobby sold, they still carry the blades for the Revo. I have a Trex SE version and the blades are about 1 1/2" longer on the Trex than the Falcon. The cord is thicker on the Trex as well. As far as the gyro, for me anyway I started with a rate gyro and hated it since it was always drifting, make it harder to concentrate on learning to hover. When I went to a HH Gyro I was thrilled that I didn't have to constantly worry about the tail drifting. I will agree that in forward flight it's nice not to have to fly the tail since it will follow the flow of air, but I just like flying the tail all the time and for me it's just easier. I cut my teeth on a Hornet Fixed pitch, it was the worse helicopter for starting out since it was always requiring parts each time it crashed. I finally got a Piccolo Fun and really learned alot about flying but it was awful in forward flight since it would pitch up badly. I then got the Piccolo Pro which was a much nicer collective helicopter but it was very fragile. I sold it and bought a Corona 120 electric fixed pitch helicopter. The Corona was and is a wonderful learning platform but it's limited as to what it can do, i.e., no 3-D. From the Corona I bought a Eolo Pro, a German electric helicopter, expensive, about the size of the Corona but much better engineering. The Eolo flies like it's on rails and is a pure joy to fly but with the recommended motor and battery it's just barely capiable of 3D. Everything I fly with the exception of my Co Co Lama has heading hold on it. As I said, you can turn it off at the switch but for beginners I wouldn't recommend it. Learning to fly and hover is hard enough but worrying about keeping the tail straight just puts too much load on the pilot.

Gary
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Gary Morris

The Falcon 3D is capable of any 3D maneuver there is, albeit sloppy, but it's capable. With a better radio, i.e., transmitter, it would be as capable as anything in it's weight class.

Gary
Old 07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Avi__

More comments about gyro and revolution...
I think one of the things that make it hard for beginer micro heli pilots would be the simplicity of the radio system. In a computerized radio system you have a revolution mixer, which compansates for the forces generated when the pitch is changed. Such mixer allows you to hover without the need of a hh gyro. I can see why a HH is almost a must if you don't have that.
Anyway, thanks again for the information.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Gary Morris

With all of the complaints about the Falcon 3D manual I have completely rewritten it. It is off to the publisher now but I will offer a free download as soon as I can find a place to host it. It will be in Word format; sorry that is all I have available to me. I've also added information that will help a complete newbie get the Falcon off the ground in one piece. The original manual was obviously translated from Chinese to English and much of the important information was lost in the translation. I hope this helps all those out there that have purchased the Falcon.

Gary
Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
SkyUp

I'm sure that will be helpful Gary. I can probably help you save the document in PDF format if you want.
Thanks for your hard work on it ... I look forward to seeing it!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Gary Morris

I just learned that Hobby Lobby received a new shipment of Falcon's in today, they will be available for order as soon as the back orders are filled.

Gary
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
SkyUp

That's great news!
That means mine should be shipping very soon ...
Thanks for the heads up Gary ...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Gary Morris

Skyup,

You should be getting your Falcon 3D probably before the weekend, if you like give me your email address and I'll email you the revised Falcon Manual done in Word document format.

Gary
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Spdfrk

Gary, can you please send the updated manual PDF file to [email protected] Thanks and looking forward to it!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
choppersrule

Gary,

Me too, Me too... [email protected]

Thanks guy, you've been a ton of help to all of us, we all appreciate you efforts and dedication to this hobby.

Thanks again,

Dave / Choppersrule

Still waiting on my blades that I ordered on 7/23/06, I know there in stock now, should have them in a few days, luckily I have a BCX and a BCP to keep me occupied.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM
SkyUp

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Gary,

Thanks guy, you've been a ton of help to all of us, we all appreciate you efforts and dedication to this hobby.
Ditto, Thanks Gary ...

... I appreciate the updated manual!

Dave (aka SkyUp)
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Gary Morris

Everyone that's asked for the manual should have it, I emailed Skyup yesterday and the others this morning!

Gary
Old 08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Gary Morris

Update, you can now download the manual at the following link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554285

Gary

P.S. It's a zip file
Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 PM
medic99

Hey Guys,
I just got my new Falcon 3D today. Just a quick tip, if you hit the tail boom/rotor you need to make sure that the arm that runs to servo is not locked. I am going to be taking it to the field all weekend. Fingers crossed I hope I dont need to order a third.

Curry
Old 08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
choppersrule

Medic99,

Keep the training gears on for now, let us know how is goes.

If you remember, I busted up my blades and that was it. I got an e-mail notification today, that they have been shipped (i ordered 2 sets).

I had my BCX and BCP to fly while waiting for the new blades. I can hardly wait, I was doing so good and had to wait so long for just a set of blades..

Hope all goes well for ya,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
choppersrule

Medic99,

PS... Don't forget to check the tail motor servo this time. Check everything this time, balance the blades before first flight, check servo action and response. Check all screws making sure they are all tight. Etc, etc.

Also, make sure the sticks on the TX work smoothly, especially the right stick. Make sure it always centers when you release it.

My TX was a little sticky on forward and aft control, had to take it apart and make a spring tension adjustment, just a full turn on the adjustment screw. Just an FYI.

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
SkyUp

Good things to know ... I should be getting mine in the next day or two (hopefully).
It's great to get info. from those of you that have the Falcon, your tips may just save the day.
Keep us posted on your progress Medic99 ... wishin' ya the best of luck with this one!
Thanks for the tips Choppersrule!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Gary Morris

The Revo CP blades are and exact replacment for the Falcon, so if they run out just order the Revo CP blades. Art-Tech is also making some very nice carbon fiber blades, they cost quite a bit more but they should be much better, especially for 3D. I hope everyone got the updated and improved Falcon manual, if you follow the preflight checklist you should survive that all important first maiden flight. I would also recommend even for seasoned heli pilots to use the training gear for the first trimming flight, after that you can take them off and do as you please. If there's a problem though it may save you blades, mainshaft, tail blades and boom! I hope everyone is enjoying theirs, I sure like mine!

Gary
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Gary Morris

Wow you guys never cease to amaze me! Here is the manual in PDF format that Dave Brownscome took the time to edit my rewrite and put in into the PDF manual, Thanks Dave! Go here to view or download it: http://www.rchelipit.com/xhtmlprojec...ual_081206.pdf

Gary Morris
Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 PM
choppersrule

Gary and Dave,

Thanks for the updated manual for the Falcon 3D, it's well appreciated. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to go thru all the steps to get it modified and put on a website.

Thanks again,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Gary Morris

Your very welcome, if it just prevents one person from crashing on their maiden flight it will be worth it!

Gary
Old 08-14-2006, 08:39 PM
medic99

Well I got the little bugger hovering... I balanced the blades and ran through a long pre-flight before getting her airborne.. She is wandering a little to the left but I believe I can fix that with the trim. I even hovered her in the kitchen for my GF to see. Thing is a lot of fun.. I noticed though that the first thing to go when the battery is dying is the motor.. Luckily I was hovering just a few feet of the ground when it began to die..

Thanks for all the help. I am going to post some pics once the paint dries..
Old 08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
SkyUp

Sounds great Medic99!
I'm trying to learn to hover and have had some success but I need more like a football field to do it rather than a kitchen ... sounds like you're doin' fine!
These are some nice little heli's, I'm enjoying the heck out of my first attempts at hovering.
I definately think the Gyro on the Falcon helps a ton ... I like the way it acts like a much bigger heli. It's going to take me some time to get to where I am in total control, but I'm havin' a blast with mine. I got out yesterday and today ... had one fairly hard landing, but the heli faired well. I'm impressed with this heli, I think it's the right heli for me to learn on ... so far, so good!

Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
a68fan

Great thread!!!

Ordered mine today.... With some spare parts....

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.