Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

FMS help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 AM
davidank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS help please

I have a copy of FMS simulator from rc-expert.com that came with my HBCP2 and I installed it onto my computer and plugged the cable into the back of my tx and then the other end of the cable into the back of the computer into the only place the cable would fit, which the end to go into the computer resembles a printer cable end that goes into the computer, so I believe that is where I pluged it into my computer, where I'd plug a printer into it.

FMS is not working from my tx. Does anybody have any idea why? And tips on what is going on? In case anybody else has ever had any problems with getting this to work. FMS does work with my keyboard but that's not doing any good for sim practice.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

-Dave
Old 01-14-2007, 09:49 AM
abledanger

Default RE: FMS help please

I have a lama controller that works on it. I have a different computer setup but my connection also works in the printer hole. So, I dont know if thats the problem. Did you turn the controller on?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
davidank

Yeah I did turn on the controller. Do you have to flip on/off any other switches on the tx to make it work? I just plugged the cables into the tc and computer and turned on the tx and nothing. Maybe I will have to try it again to see. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:25 AM
abledanger

ORIGINAL: davidank

Yeah I did turn on the controller. Do you have to flip on/off any other switches on the tx to make it work? I just plugged the cables into the tc and computer and turned on the tx and nothing. Maybe I will have to try it again to see. Thanks for the response.
no, you just have to turn it on. Did your computer recognize your controller when you first plugged it in? On my pc, as soon as you plug it in, i get a pop up saying new hardware has been detected. plug in the controller without fms running, does it say it's installed?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM
FMB42

Hi Dave,
If your computer recognizes your Tx in "control panel" under "game controllers" like abledanger asks, then try the following steps;

1. Open FMS

2. Click on "controls" and highlight "analog"

3. Click on (highlight) "Joystick interface"

4. Click on "mapping/calibration" if possible. If not possible, see step 8

5. Set mapping as follows (in the "mapping" window):
Tail = 4
Nick =2
Roll = 1
Pitch=3

6. Click "calibration" in the calibration window and then follow the instructions provided.

7. Click "OK"

8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each of the following interfaces if possible:
Parallel/Serial IRQ-interface 32-Bit VXD
Parallel/Serial IRQ-interface 16-Bit DLL
Serial PIC-interface

9. Close FMS

10. Open FMS and, if needed, reset mapping/calibration as above.

Good luck and good flying.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 PM
davidank

FMB42 I tried all of the steps you suggested and it still doesn't work, so I am assuming the computer doesn't recognize in some way the tx.

"Did your computer recognize your controller when you first plugged it in?"

I dsidn't see anything stating the computer recognized it.

"On my pc, as soon as you plug it in, i get a pop up saying new hardware has been detected"

--> I don't get any such thing, and I have tried a bunch of different things now and it still isn't working, darn!!

"plug in the controller without fms running, does it say it's installed?"

I tried that and it doesn't say anything.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Simages

Although I've configured mine that came with my ART-TECH Falcon 3D and had some trouble setting it up. So I know your frustrated but, by chance have you tried using SmartPropoplus, It's FREE? I was having the same trouble as many do and stumbled on this site so, take a look and the instructions and SmartProp a try.

LATEST SmartPro Plus [link=http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp]http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp[/link]

Keep in mind that I configured my FMS with my ART-TECH stock Tx and by using the SmartPro and other tools I was able to get configured. Although everyones computer setup is different as well as there controllers, but I did configure my stock ATR-TECH Tx.

Hope this helps...............
Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM
abledanger

What kind of cable do you have? Is it a usb? Is it flat?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Simages

I'm using the G3 controller which is USB

The round audio cable came with my Falcon 3D and FMS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40037.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	599061   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45330.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	599062  
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 AM
EnzoFalconi

I tried FMS and couldn't get it to let me calibrate my Tx. Adding SmartProPlus didn't do anything but make FMS take about 5 minutes (sometimes longer) to load versus the less than 5 seconds or less that it took prior to adding SPP to the FMS folder as instructed. It still wouldn't let me calibrate the Tx. I've tried changing the numbers in the columns etc and nothing seems to get it to work. I can't get the SPP calibration screen to show up as it says it will in the installation instructions. They say it will show up when FMS is launched and when you click on the SPP icon. I emailed the developers, but never received a reply. I'd guess they're busy with the problem. There seems to be quite a few people having the same problems I am. My PC sees the signal from the Tx. It just won't do anything with it. I can use FMS with my keyboard in a crude fashion. Considering that the Falcon included with FMS will hover unattended once launched, I'm not sure how useful it will be even if I can get it to see the Tx. I've heard that those using the USB cable that is available through other sites will make FMS usable. It would have been nice for them to include a sim that actually worked with most PC's even if it meant raising the price of the Falcon enough to cover a USB cable in addition to or instead of the normal mic type. I realize that it's freeware, but it isn't of much value at any price (even free) if all it does is cause frustration. There are a few threads discussing this same no calibration issue. I finally gave up on it and will eventually try to buy a real sim program.

Enzo
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 AM
abledanger

I got FMS to work with my Lama controller, after I bought a USB cable. I had to tinker with it a bit though. I downloaded a whole helicopter program. You can do little missions around the house. Or just free fly around different rooms. It's a torrent. PM me if you want the link.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
davidank

Simages the cable that came with my heli isn't like that. It's a connection similar to taht of the end of a mouse cable that goes in the back of the computer and that plugs into the back of my tx and an end the exact sams as a printer cable so I figured to pug it into where I'd plug my printer into, since that is the only place the cable would fit.

I did all the calibrations, and I tried unplugging the cable, closing fms, and plugging the cable back in, and nothing.

My fms does work with my keyboard but that is'nt doing much for sim/heli practice.

Maybe I can go to a store and check if they have a cable that will go from that back of my tx (mouse like cable end) to a usb cable. If the cable isn't too expensive I will try that.

I can try that link above - http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp - and see what happens.

Other than that, I am at my end of what I can think of what to do, lol.

Thanks for the info everybody!

-Dave
Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Simages

Dave,

I understand and would give the SmartPro software a try before going on an adapter hut because although they connect together the signal "technology" don't always work.

I believe they've improved the software for compatiblity with the E-Sky and Walkera which uses the MiniDin (S-Video)
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM
HeliTB

There are two programs (PPJoy and PICJoy) you need to get FMS to work with the stock HB CP2 tx.

Follow link below:

http://www.tti-us.com/sim/picjoy.html
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Simages

Dave,

Ever get your HB CP2 TX to work in FMS??

See post by HeliTB - Date 1/19/2007 12:58:37 PM

There are two programs (PPJoy and PICJoy) you need to get FMS to work with the stock HB CP2 tx.

Follow link below: [link=http://HeliTB Date 1/19/2007 12:58:37 PM]http://www.tti-us.com/sim/picjoy.html[/link]

THANKS HeliTB!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 PM
airwethead

PPjoy was what I needed to make my Falcon 40 TX work with FMS. There is a quickly growing Falcon 40 (Exceed Heli) thread that has a post outlining the EXACT steps you need to take to configure PPJoy and FMS. All credit goes to a10bolt for finding the info elsewhere and posting it. Here is what he wrote:

I did not use smartpropoplus. Did you leave ppjoy running in the background or did you exit the program? ppjoy needs to run in the background. The following is what I found in the forums:
==============
THIS SETUP IS FOR THE BLACK ZHEN HUA PCM-4 TRANSMITTER AND FMS . IT MAY WORK WITH OTHER TRANSMITTERS BUT I HAVE NOT TESTED IT.

I am running XP Prof and had a little bit of a hard time getting things setup properly. I would like to describe this setup in more detail so others can follow setp by-step.

1. Download ppjoy. I don't know if I am at liberty to give the exact URL. Do a google search for "ppjoy dowload" (leave out quotes!)

2. Follow the installation instructions for ppjoy.

3. Launch ppjoy 'Configure Joysticks' application.

4. There should not be any joysticks listed. Click 'Add'. For 'Parallel Port' choose 'Virtual Joystick' . Do not set any other options. Click Add.

5. I'm running XP Prof. My computer then detected a device. Choose to search for and install the device automatically. It will detect a second device. Follow the same auto-setup procedure again.

6. The Configure Joysticks application will now show one joystick (PPJoy Virtualjoystick 1). Click the 'Done' button to close the Configure Joysticks window.

7. Open the PPjoyCOM application.

8. The only option you need to set is 'Serial Protocol' -- set it to Zhen Hua 5 byte protocol. Under that option you should see 'reading serial stream'. DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW. This is the application that will translate the joystick commands to the FMS program.

9. Open FMS , click 'Control'. Choose 'Joystick Interface' and click 'Mapping/Calibration'.

10. Check out the settings I used at this url : http://3dub.com/heli/ . I am not sure why it was necessary for me to re-map some of the controls and reverse some of them, but it took about an hour to figure it out. Hope it works for everyone.

11. Click 'Calibrate' and do the wiggle wiggle wiggle with the controls. Click "Ok" to close the calibration window. Click "OK" to close the Control window. All of your controls will now work!
===============

A10bolt

The only difference here may be step 8, it should detect the transmitter you are using. It may not be "Zhen Hua 5 byte protocol" but will be something similar to your transmitters protocol.

I followed these steps exactly and it worked for me.