Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

First flip suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Callouscade
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flip suggestions

Hi everyone, soon i hope to successfully flip my raptor for the first time. I attempted flipping my SR, stupid controller had no negative pitch (My fault for using it). but raptor... 12degrees negative, 10 positive, i KNOW it can do it! but i was also extremely nervous... any suggestions to take the nerves down? i get shaky and im afraid that'll cause a crash.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 AM
rcagpilot83

Default RE: First flip suggestions

Plenty of altitude I think would be the biggest thing, that way if things go wrong you have plenty of time to recover. I've seen alot of videos on youtube of people attempting their first flip and they do it 10ft off the ground and the end result 95% of the time isn't good. As far as nerves not sure, I haven't been flying that long and I sometimes get a little shaky just doing normal flight not even thinking about attempting 3D. If it makes ya feel any better theres a video of alan szabo with a camera mounted on his shoulder to show his stick movements and there was a few times he was even shaking a little
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Rafael23cc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a simulator? Have you tried a flip in the simulator? How did it go?

Do you have a governor or a good throtte curve programmed into the radio?

Have you tried a loop?

I think it is best to try a loop before you attempt a flip. The loop is almost exactly like a flip but with forward speed. Just make sure that you know when to apply positive pitch, neutral and negative pitch. Altitude is your friend.

And make absolutely sure you actually switch to Idle-Up or stunt mode. Seen it so many times that is not even funny anymore, when somebody is going to attempt a maneuver, but forgot to engange stunt mode on their radio.

Rafael
Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Callouscade

thank you very much!
Simulator yes. on it i do more than just flips and rolls... i do inverted flight and i can even do piro flips.
no governor... throttle curve for idol up is flat line.
tried a loop with the SR... had plenty of altitude... but the throttle curve is crap... should have used the DX6i. my fualt
i might actually do some stall turns first... i've gotten about 45 degree inverted doing a stall turn with the SR... i was being wacky that day and doing some stupid stuff... once i get comfortable with stall turns with the raptor... i'll just go into a stall turn and go through the loop... then a flip and inverted hover... rolls etc. on from there.
Altitude wise-im only too high if i can't see it or cant see orientation... my field is on a hill so itll be closer to my eyes... further from the ground.

im getting a new reciever for it very shortly... 7 channel reciever im going to bind to my DX6i... 7th channel for later governor use around xmas... i haven't gone into idol up on my DX6i yet unless on the sim... even on the sim the pitch curve isn't too good becasue when i kick it on, it jumps down a little. i'm just afraid of turning it on and it jump up or down super fast... down is my fear becasue going down you don't have much cyclic at all. i already have the heli itself set up for 3D, its the 30 V2. got the 3D dampers, auto gear, header tank, CF blades... ready to go except programming. any suggestions on the programming portion of it? and with programming... how can i tell if my head speed is too high or too low?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: Callouscade

...throttle curve for idol up is flat line. .....
I know you have a DX6, but why do you have a flat line? On nitro helis, you could be overspeeding the head. Try a "V" shaped curve with about 60% at mid-stick.

.... i haven't gone into idol up on my DX6i yet unless on the sim... even on the sim the pitch curve isn't too good becasue when i kick it on, it jumps down a little. i'm just afraid of turning it on and it jump up or down super fast...
Take a hard look at your pitch curves. They ALL should pass thru 0 (zero) degrees at mid-stick. The easiest way to program them would be to make them all the same, -10 to +10 in all flying modes. That way the heli will never "jump" or "dive" when you move the idle-up switch.

... ready to go except programming. any suggestions on the programming portion of it? and with programming... how can i tell if my head speed is too high or too low?
See the note above. The only real way to be sure your headspeed is correct is to use a head tach. See if you can borrow one from a fellow heli pilot. It can get close by ear, if you know the helicopter / engine combination and how it is supposed to sound.

Rafael
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Callouscade

thank you... but what is a good head speed?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Rob2160

Hi everyone, soon i hope to successfully flip my raptor for the first time. I attempted flipping my SR, stupid controller had no negative pitch (My fault for using it). but raptor... 12degrees negative, 10 positive, i KNOW it can do it! but i was also extremely nervous... any suggestions to take the nerves down? i get shaky and im afraid that'll cause a crash.
Hi....

I am only new to helis but I have flipped them multiple times... so hopefully I can help...

All the above advice is good... Just get lots of altitude and take your time with the first one.. and EXPECT a huge amount of adrenaline when you first attempt it.. be prepared for the shaky fingers... i get them every time i try something new...

Check out this video.. i was challenged to try 3 consecutive loops... it may help to know you are not the only one who gets shaky...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJXDT2FhqE[/youtube]

And someone requested a video of my control inputs during loops.. ... (but please remember I am new to this also.. so all you expert 3D pilots pleasego easy on my "amateur" instructions)

Anyway.. here it is..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6mvB2UGdAI[/youtube]

Hope some of that helps.. and Good luck with it..
Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Rafael23cc

thank you... but what is a good head speed?
You made me look back in the post. Your headspeed depends on your engine. Short answer is: somewhere between 1700 and 2000, but without knowing which engine and gear ratio, it would be impossible to know.

As an example, my Raptor 50 can safely reach 2000rpm. But how did I reach that number?

The OS50Hyper produces it's max horsepower at 17,000rpm. My Raptor 50 has an 8.5 gear ratio (10 tooth pinion, and 85 tooth main gear) 17,000rpm divided by 8.5 equals 2000rpm. And that is the headspeed I use.

Rafael
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Callouscade

thank you very much!