Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is this a good deal? Please help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Is this a good deal? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal? Please help!

I am looking at getting a Raptor 30 RTF w/ remote, tools, batteries, starter, etc, tomorrow. It also comes with Realfight G3 sim with a transmitter for the PC. The person is asking $330. Is this a good deal?

ALSO: the person says it will start right up and the blades will spin but it won't lift off. He said that he was messing with the settings and he thinks he messed the settings up possibly with another model. His exact words were " When I try to put the pitch up it goes down so I think that I accidently reversed something."

My questions to this are:

- Could this be the settings?
-Any ideas what it could be?
-Any other thoughts?

This will be my first Heli so ANY info would be appreciated and helpful. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good deal? Please help!

Not bad. Depends on what radio/servos/gyros whether its a really good deal or not.

Yes its entirely possible, thankfully for you there's an entire web site dedicated to the feeding and care of your Raptor and a number of us around these parts that have a ton of flight time on Raptors.

http://www.raptortechnique.com should get you started
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a good deal or not. What radio, servos, motor, gyro are we talking. If they are of reasonable quality, get it.

Raptortechnique is a great place. Follow what is said on that site and you will have a well setup Raptor.

Buzz.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Sigma.40

I GOT IT!!!!! It is a Raptor 30 V2 ( I don't know the difference between V1 and V2) The motor is stock and is in very good condition. It starts up faster than my brand-new Losi 8ight 2.0. The Servos are all Futaba. The issue I mention above is not the servos it is in the settings on the remote. He used to have a Raptor 90 and got setting confused between the 2 and when he tried to fix it confused the settings even more. He got it started and everything worked though, just something was backwards. The Tx is also the Futaba T9CHP which I read is very good.

It also came with lots of spare parts and batteries, the starter thing, a gigantic box to fill the fuel tank, 1 gallon of Nitro and the Realflight G3 simulator with transmitter for the PC.

He also threw in a Falcon 40 still in the box and also gave my daughter and little havok heli "toy" heli.

All for $320. I think that I got a good deal. The entire Raptor is very clean and looks to be very well taken care of.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Badboyr6

awesome, post some pics! i fly a rappy 30 V2 also..bad ass heli!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Badboyr6

awesome, post some pics! i fly a rappy 30 V2 also..bad ass heli!
Sold the camera to buy the Baja a couple months ago .

Had a hobby shop guy check it out and fly it today. He made a few corrections to the settings and tightened a few screws but said otherwise it was in great condition. He flew it and it did really well even in 30 MPH winds!

To those who asked the specs:

The servos are Spektrum

The Gyro is GY401

and the engine is Pro-H .39

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 AM
gauicanada
My Feedback: (12)

That's not a good deal, that's a bargan wish I could get a deal like that!!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
lje553

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you got a smoking deal on that one. Enjoy it! That's a good heli.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Sigma.40

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

If they are Spektrum 821 servos I'd replace them on a nitro.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If they are Spektrum 821 servos I'd replace them on a nitro.
Why?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

Those servo's don't fair to well with a high amount of vibration.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
BarracudaHockey

The manufacturer specifically warns against using them in a 50 size nitro, my personal experience would indicate to extend that to all nitro helicopters.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Sigma.40

The manufacturer specifically warns against using them in a 50 size nitro, my personal experience would indicate to extend that to all nitro helicopters.
As a moderator, you must have a lot of experience with helis. Which is harder to fly, the 120 SR (which is small but twitchy and very fast) or the Raptor 30 V2 ( which is much larger but much more stable).Please ignore the differences between nitro and electric unless they directly affect the flying (in other words, I am pretty familiar with nitro and very familiar with electric). I got the 120 on Saturday and am flying it very well. I am curious when I will be ready to start hovering my Raptor with homemade training gear. I am also doing pretty good at hovering the Raptor equivalent on Realflight G3.

I don't now why I quoted your last post as it has nothing to do with this post .
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey

The 30 is much easier to fly, its easier to see and a magnatude more stable.

Yup, I've been flying helis for a while though my experience as a hockey referee probably serves me better for moderating than a few years flying helicopters
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Sigma.40

The 30 is much easier to fly, its easier to see and a magnatude more stable.

Yup, I've been flying helis for a while though my experience as a hockey referee probably serves me better for moderating than a few years flying helicopters
So I had the hobby shop guy go through everything and he also set everything up for a beginner. If I fly it on a day without wind, is there anything that I should expect it to do as I increase throttle? My 120 SR flys off to the front left. Being as big as the Raptor is, is it more likely to go up and less left or right?

And also, by stable, you mean that I won't have to makeas many ofthe frantic corrections that I have to do to keep the 120 hovered?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Goran619

It is pretty stable heli, it does almost lift straight up with no major movment left/right or forward/backwards. You may experience some as you mey need to set some trims. Just remember to make minor corrections in the air with the sticks. When I first flew mine for the first time last year it wasn't pretty. There will be a difference between the 2 since the 120 is fp and the 30 is cp not as much up and down on the collective side. It is alot more stable as well easier to fly, as long as you take your time and have patients you should be just fine flying the 30v2. Enjoy it is a good heli. Just a bit of advice theengine can be difficult to get tuned up and stayed tuned if you have the TT .39. I'm waiting for mine to die so I can go purchase a O.S. 37 but in due time. Enjoy the chopper it is a great one to fly.
Jordan
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Sigma.40

What is the difference between the Raptor 30 and the Blade 400 (other than size and motor type). If they are both collective pitch, why did everyone tell me not to get a Blade 400 but say that the Raptor is good to start with?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 AM
BarracudaHockey

Blade 400 is twitchy the Raptor is stable and locked in.

Trust me you will see when you fly one what we mean
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Sigma.40

I flew it!!!! I had it up to 4 ft but mostly tried to keep it around 10-12 inches. It went all over the place but that was probably due to my inexperience. It was definitely much more stable than my 120. I really just wanted to see how it flew compared to the equivalent in Realflight G3 and I hovered it the same as I do in G3 (which is all over the place).

-Do I just need to move the right stick faster? Any tips to keeping it hovered in one spot? You guys are the only people that I know that are into helis.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Goran619

you will move the right stick more and faster you will eventually learn what its going to do before it does it just by your inputs and as you learn this the circle will get smaller and smaller. I've only been flying for just under a year and I'm still a littl sloppy, but some of it has to do with when i lower my collective my head speed picked up and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it. I you don't have a governor and a radio with enough channels I would highly recommend getting one will help alot.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Sigma.40

I just want to say that I just had a very beautiful flight with my 120 SR. Even in 15-20 mph winds I was able to keep it pretty much under control at 50ish feet up. When the wind pushed it where I didn't want it to go I was able to counter it and use the wind to regain control of it. At one point the wind pushed it up to somewhere at least 75+ feet but I was able to bring it back down. I was even able to land it on its skids on very uneven ground in heavy wind which is hard to do in even no wind with these crappy stock skids.

My wife doesn't care so I thought I'd tell all of you.