Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Flight Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
TheFridge189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Simulator

Which one is best for Helicopters? I'm mostly have blade Heli's so a simulator with all the blade heli's is what I want. Also What controler and cables will I need?
Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
ATVAlliance

Default RE: Flight Simulator

I like Clear View simply because it looks decent (graphics) and it does the job for 40 bucks. 

I use a GWS SIM cable for my DX7...works great!  So for less than 60 bucks you can have a SIM that will teach you the basics.

I dont find it realistic for practicing 3D flight...but I dont really have anything else to compare it to....so I dont know if other more expensive SIMS are better at replicating the heli for 3D stuff.

IF you are brand new and want a SIM to train you to hover and fly circuits...Clear View will do the job and save you some coin to put towards your heli and or radio equipment.

Once you actually are flying around in circuits and want to progress into 3D...you could always upgrade to a better SIM with physics suited for that.

Keep in mind that flying on the SIM isnt exactly like flying a real heli simply from a perspective standpoint.  A SIM can take you a long way to learning how to hover/fly...but it wont take you all the way.  The only way you can do that is to actually fly a heli.

A great tool that has taken me much further than any SIM ever could was when I bought a Blade mCPX.  That little heli is basically a real life SIM.  Ive had tons of flights on mine and with minimul crash damages when crashing it...and trust me I have crashed it plenty.  I finally broke the swash on mine yesterday, matter of fact when doing inverted circuits and I got to low and dorked it in.

Dont let my high recommendation for the mCPX forgo a SIM altogether...I had plenty of SIM time plus hovering a 450 and 500 size heli before I bought the mCPX.  Its just I wasnt progressing toward actual flight circuits on the larger helis because they intimidated me.  Once I got the mCPX and started trying to fly it around did everything make much more sense to me and it just "clicked".

goodluck!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for the best, you should be looking for one of two on the market. Phoenix, or RealFlight. If you want free upgrades, very nice graphics and physics Phoenix is what you want. If you like a sim that will also be capable of working like a video game, that also has very good graphics and physics then Realflight is the one you want.

I have no clue what either one has regarding the Blade line of helis. I do not remember what each one has regarding specific brands. But if you use the Sim as a tool, an not a "check ride" like most people seem to use it, it does not matter which helicopters are represented in the simulator. Basic motor functions and instantaneous reactions is what you are looking for, not specific movements related to specific models.

Both simulators include the necessary hardware (controller and cables) to succesfully use the program.

Those two are the absolute BEST. Now as has been said before, best is subjective, and you had additional requirements tied to the "best" simulator, so what is best for me, might not be best for you.

Rafael
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Scirocco14

I'm cheap so I'm using the FREE sim from www.marksfiles.net

http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSimRC/index.htm

You'll need some sort of USB connector for your transmitter to connect to the PC, mine cost about $7 for my Futaba 7C transmitter. Iused a GWScable similar to this:

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html

If you like the Heli Sim, you can donate to the software programmer who wrote it via Paypal. I know I've saved hundreds of $$$ in crash repairs alone, and even though it's not as fancy as the other name brand sims, it does have a lot of features (wind, heli parameter like throttle/pitch curve adjustments, etc). It got me used to hovering nose-in, forward flight, inverted flight (it has an idle-up feature), etc.

Heck, it's FREE! Why spend $$$ until you need to?

Mark

Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
nitro208ca

The one that has most of the blade series of helis is the sim "pheonix". When you get the sim you SHOULD get the cable with it.I do agree that clearview is the cheapest sim out there, The top sim on the market is real flight.
Phoenix sim has the blade 120sr all the way up to the blade450 3D
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

you can download the free helis for realflight from the knifesegde forums that people make (its the core models that is needed though to be able to use them and they cost money for some reason) so far the only unrealistic model i got was for the mcpx  but the rest seem ok. having used both phoenix and real flight 5.5  i have to say the graphics on phoenix slams realflight  but both get the job done. i have used the  free trial of clearview also and it seems to be fine  so i guess what ever your budget permits.