Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What Radio to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Atomrcp Matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Radio to buy?

I am looking for some opinions on Radios! I've got about $400-$600 to spend on just the Radio and Servo's.. I would like some good Recomendations if possible! Thanks!

Edit: By the way I am going to use it on a Raptor 30 V2 Helicopter..
Old 02-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What Radio to buy?

All kinds of good radios out there. JR 6102, 622 will do the job nicely for cheap. 8103 gives you a couple more channels and features. If you prefer Futaba, the 9C is a very popular choice. they also make a cheaper 6 channel that i hear is worth a look.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
ChopperMike

My vote: Get a Futaba 9C. You'll never outgrow it, it has plug-in RF modules if you need to change frequency and plug-in memory modules to add to the internal 8 model memory.

Regrds,

Mike
Old 02-07-2004, 04:20 PM
pepper-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

DUDE GET THE 9X from cyber heli.. i promis it is an awsome radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pepper
Old 02-07-2004, 11:53 PM
grittykitty

Once again, the proveriable can of worms.....

I saw your other post with the survey. I am partial to the 9C, because I own one, and I like it very much. I won't badmouth the others, as I have never used them in the field. I played with each of the ones you have in your survey, and I liked the programming ease of the Futaba.
The biggest recommendation I can make is to go to the LHS and the field. Ask to hold them, and ask questions about them. Buying a higher end radio that is going to be with you for a while is quite a commitment. Some people literally make thier decision based on how it feels in thier hands. Go do some "hands on" research....

Asking for opinions here is good, but it's like walking into a pick-up truck convention and asking everybody there if you should buy a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:33 AM
ChopperMike

Good advice. Feel is one of the reasons I picked the 9C over the Hitec Eclipse. I just didn't like how it felt compared to the 9C.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 01:01 AM
raiki

I have owned 3 JR transmitters. The 388, 3810 and 9x. The 9x is really not that much better than the 3810 (at least for what I use it for).

All great radios. I think if you put the 9x, 9c and hitec Eclipse up against each other it would be hard to pick the best radio as far a beginner goes. I'd get the brand that is most popular at your club. Here in South Australia I know very few Futaba owners, about 2 Elcipse owners and hundreds of JR 3810 owners (although most 3810 owners are upgrading to the 9x).
Old 02-08-2004, 03:13 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Futaba radios only get the good gimbals on the 9Z radios. The 9C has low cost gimbals in it. The JR 10X and 8103 and the new 9204 (9X) all have the top of the line BB gimbals. Otherwise you can't go wrong with either the 9C or 9X
Old 02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Atomrcp Matt

What are gimbals? I think I've pretty much decided on the JT PCM9X Radio..
Old 02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the stick mechanism
Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM
doorman
My Feedback: (13)

Your best bet is as mentioned earlier in the posts. Go to the local field where you will be learning and find out what they are using. If you can, meet with your instructor and ask his advise, and then listen to him... He will advise you on the one that he is most used to and it will make both of your jobs a lot easier...
You do not have to worry about the "feel" of a radio right now, since your hands will be shaking most of the first flights anyway, and they are both very good products. I use both and lean toward JR only because that is the one that I am most comfortable with.. One other bit of advise is to purchase a good radio and the 8103 and the 9C both fall into the upper mid range and just below the top of the line.
Go meet your instructor and start asking questions... You are on your way into a hobby that doesn't quit, so have fun and make certain that the advise you are taking is from someone that does know what they are talking about, and not just the "glitter" on the box....Have Fun....
Old 02-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Atomrcp Matt

Ok thanks guys!