Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Freya dead sticks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Freya dead sticks...

I crashed a few weeks ago and have a problem. OS.91 in a Freya with a futaba governor. Since the rebuild my engine dies whenever I go inverted(negative pitch) trough a loop or roll when I use my governor. I replaced the clunk lines in the main and header tanks to make sure they weren't causing problems, cleaned the carb twice and it seems to fly okay with the throttle servo plugged directly to the rcvr. It does bog a little since I never spent a lot of time setting curves with the govenor. I'm not sure if govenor is trying to fix the bog and killing the motor or if the govenor is killing the engine. The govenor shows good sense on the magnet and the settings are good. Anyone have similar problems before?
Old 06-24-2002, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just the opposite. mine was leaning out inverted using a gv-1. i disconnected the gov, set up my mixture and throttle curve for excellent response in normal flight, and it still leans out in inverted flight, though for some reason runs like a dream when inverted on a runup stand. but if yours isn't bogging inverted without the gov, then i'd send out the gov for testing.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Tank mounting

I wonder if you are getting different mixtures from the tank postioning. Are you running a header tank?

Is it level with the main needle?
Old 06-24-2002, 07:30 PM

Thanks, yes to the header, and even with the needle, she flew great for the last 3 or 4 months before the crash. I've had the governor on it since I put the .91 in.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:58 AM

I had a couple of crashes when the Freya transitioned to inverted.

The problem I had was the fuel line in the tank would fold over and starve the carb when it went inverted. In this scenario, even a header tank wouldn't help because effectively once it folded, no amount of pressure from the tank would go to the header and it would flameout.

I changed to a stiffer fuel line in the tank and did lots of tests by flipping the tank (removed from the heli) with fuel and all the inlets and outlets sealed off to test if the stiffer line would at least let the clunk travel in the tank.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:34 PM

Default Freya flameout

I agree with the stiffer fuel line. It needs to go to the back of the tank. It also needs to go to top and bottom of the tank when inverted. My first inverted Freya flight was my first inverted auto. I landed on the skids but had a boom strike. Minor damage.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:01 AM

I found the problem, after the crash I swapped a JR servo for the Futaba on throttle, it goes opposite directions, which I changed on the transmitter but not in the governor....
Old 06-26-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Fuel line

Evan,
Verify that the fuel line works according to Manilaheli's findings as well. I would hate to hear about a crash due fuel starvation after his recommendation.

Good find bud. Hope you get it dialed in again!
Old 06-27-2002, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Fuel line

Thanks, been there done that, it was the first place I looked because it's been a problem before.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Same problem today

I was flying my Fury today, and when I did my first inverted circuit in FFF the engine lost all power after about 15-20 seconds. I flipped the heli immediately, came down on the stick, was ready to set it down in tall grass, when the engine came back to life. Second flight, same problem. I took the canopy off, checked the clunk, checked the GV-1, everything was fine. I open the high end needle two clicks, and the problem went away. Turns out I was too lean.... FYI, inverted hover was fine all day, since that is controlled by the mid-needle on the OS61WC.
Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good!

Rick