Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

X-cell 60 SE - main rotor play ...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

X-cell 60 SE - main rotor play ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:30 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default X-cell 60 SE - main rotor play ...

I have an Xcell 60 SE graphite with a YS 80 in it. The blades are Carbon Vbalades (680s) ... my question is how much flex is ok in the main rotorhead. I have it with 3 shims on each side, and it seems to me like there is too much flex in the main rotor head. I can actually pull the main blade down and have the top toutch the tail boom, and its without what i would concider too much force ... I am afraid of a boom strike, and need to know exactly how much flex is ok ? I fly 3d and want to make sure i do not clip the boom with the blades ..

thanx

Wojtek
Old 07-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: X-cell 60 SE - main rotor play ...

Originally posted by wiwanczyk
I have an Xcell 60 SE graphite with a YS 80 in it. The blades are Carbon Vbalades (680s) ... my question is how much flex is ok in the main rotorhead. I have it with 3 shims on each side, and it seems to me like there is too much flex in the main rotor head. I can actually pull the main blade down and have the top toutch the tail boom, and its without what i would concider too much force ... I am afraid of a boom strike, and need to know exactly how much flex is ok ? I fly 3d and want to make sure i do not clip the boom with the blades ..

thanx

Wojtek

Well it's a matter of how it fly's , unless you don't auto or land correctly you will not boom strike. You have to adjust for the head stiffness that feels right for your flying style.I personally use 3 med thickness shims per side on my Fury.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:22 AM
Dr.Ben

The proper amount of shims is determined by flying style, set up and flight testing.

Most solid axle heads fly the best when they are shimmed up to be fairly stiff. Doing so increases responsiveness of the head and decrease the tendency to pitch up in headwind, particularly in hover.

You can, within reason, run as many shims as you like with the limit being defined by the induction of a mast bump/head wobble at hover speeds, especially lower ones in crosswind conditions with high gyro gain. Those folks who run a pretty high head speed in hover might not ever see a mast bump there, but you might at the end of an auto as the head speed decays.

2-3 of the medium thickness shims per side works well for most applications. Remember that worn o-rings, especially the outer ones, mimics the effect of insufficient shimming.

You have to be really sloppy in an auto, landing hard with aft cyclic, to boom strike any X-Cell model. I've seen some models pancaked so hard it bent the SS head axle and lower frame rails, yet no boomstrike occurred.

Ben Minor
Old 07-28-2002, 10:21 PM
wojtek

I guess I will try to fly her. I have 2 shims on each side, and could not get any more on (i put my whole weight on the skide tool to push the clips on and still could not with 3 shims, and i weigh 24lb)

I also changed ou the blades frrom 700mm V-blades to 700mm SABs, which apear to be a lot stiffer also ..

thanx

Wojtek
Old 07-30-2002, 04:35 PM
torque
My Feedback: (22)

flying 3D also breaks down the rubber o-rings and need replaced a little sooner.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:15 PM
wojtek

I know, but I only have 2 flights .... I am now running on 5 shims, and it looks ok .. I had to use a vise to get the c-clips on .. !!

thanx

Wojtek
Old 07-30-2002, 06:40 PM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by wiwanczyk
I know, but I only have 2 flights .... I am now running on 5 shims, and it looks ok .. I had to use a vise to get the c-clips on .. !!

thanx

Wojtek
For about 30.00 you can buy a 1/2 ton press, that's the best and easiest way to install them. The press can be used for so many other things to.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:42 PM
wojtek

My neighbor has a huge vise that I used, i almost bought one myself .. i was actually surprised at how hard it was to get that clip on ! i actually put my whole 230lb on the thing, and still was not enough ... the vise did it though ..

thanx

Wojtek
Old 07-31-2002, 01:11 AM
GM1

Default seating the E clip

I used a piece of thinwall aluminum tubing and threaded the bolt in the end of the blade axle and the E clip seated easily. 1/2 ton press????? Vise???? Why?
Old 07-31-2002, 01:40 AM
Furyflyer2

Default Re: seating the E clip

Originally posted by GM1
I used a piece of thinwall aluminum tubing and threaded the bolt in the end of the blade axle and the E clip seated easily. 1/2 ton press????? Vise???? Why?
Just another way to skin a cat.....ether way the job gets accomplished
Old 07-31-2002, 01:40 AM
DavidH

Gordie,
I believe that is in the instruction manual last time I checked is it not ? <G>

David
Old 07-31-2002, 01:46 AM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by DavidH
Gordie,
I believe that is in the instruction manual last time I checked is it not ? <G>

David
Thanks David , I guess we must always follow directions... and not do something a different way. <G>
Old 07-31-2002, 02:23 AM
wojtek

just checked, and its not in mine ... i guess thats why i though i was doing something wron, because it took quite a bit to get those clips on !

Wojtek