Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nexus shakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM
heli_fear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexus shakes!!

Me and my buddy were out practicing hovering (both of us with training gear on) and his heli starts the hover nice and smooth, within seconds and more throttle the heli starts to shake very violently and he kills the throttle immediately becuase its a very out-of-control shake, any ideas? training gear is needed due to the fact we are both newbies, thx for help in advance.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Scotty740

Default Nexus shakes!!

That's very typical of training gear. At a certain RPM and and head speed the gear starts a resonate oscillation. Try raising or lowering the headspeed some and see if you can find a speed where it goes away.

Some also cut some of the length off the training gear legs to help with that too. But, I've usually found that changing the speed will solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:43 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

hmmm..ok will try that, thx.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Default Nexus shakes!!

Are you sure the engine is not to lean?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

Originally posted by Furyflyer2
Are you sure the engine is not to lean?
Well we closed the needle valve and opened it 1 3/4 turns, so its been left at that setting, should we try richening it a bit?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:54 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Nexus shakes!!

How does the engine sound does it make like a crackle sound or a 4- cycle sound?
Old 10-28-2002, 04:24 PM
dany_maia

Default Nexus shakes!!

I am learning too and my nexus was doing exactly the same vibration, so I asked a friend that flies helis and he told me that my main rotor blades were too loose, I should tight them a little more, because when I advance throtle (and pitch) one of the blades could be a little late, and could be a source of vibrations.

I think it worked for me, it never shaked so hardly again.
Say something.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:44 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

How does the engine sound does it make like a crackle sound or a 4- cycle sound?
it makes a 4 - cycle sound I believe, runs at low idle pretty smooth. Speaking of I'm breaking in my new .32 and it makes alot of crackle noise and shuts off alot, barely stays running and takes along time to warm up, I have it also 1 3/4 turns open from close, is this normal with new heli engines?
Old 10-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Nexus shakes!!

It may be to rich, a rich engine will not run very smooth and you said it hover's it's good until you advance the throttle. Try 1 1/2 tuns out. What fuel are you using and nitro content?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:13 PM
QM40

Default Nexus shakes!!

Are the main blades tracking properly? and are they balanced?
Just more ideas....
Old 10-28-2002, 06:22 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

It may be to rich, a rich engine will not run very smooth and you said it hover's it's good until you advance the throttle. Try 1 1/2 tuns out. What fuel are you using and nitro content?
Nitro content is 15%, 18% oil content I believe, forgot the name of the fuel, think its wildcat. I'll try the 1 1/2 turn open, should this appy to my engine as well, I have alot of crackling noise and it shuts off on it own even when I advance the throttle, after this battle for 10 min. it starts to act a bit better but still has alot of crackling noise & hesistation.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Hibbitz

Default Nexus shakes!!

Heli_fear, did the vibartion go away when you tightened up the blades? I am have experienced the exact same thing and now that I think of it, my blades do seem a little loose. I will tighten them and try it again this weekend.

Hibbitz
Old 10-31-2002, 04:12 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

Originally posted by Hibbitz
Heli_fear, did the vibartion go away when you tightened up the blades? I am have experienced the exact same thing and now that I think of it, my blades do seem a little loose. I will tighten them and try it again this weekend.

Hibbitz
Well the issue with the shakes is on my friends heli, we'll be back in the air this Sunday and will find out for sure, will post then the results.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:30 PM
Hibbitz

Default Nexus shakes!!

Thanks for the reply and I will be interested to know what happens. I am heading back out with my Nexus this afternoon and I think loose blades might be PART of my problem. I will let you know if it helps at all.

Thanks,
HIBBITZ
Old 11-01-2002, 05:44 PM
heli_fear

Default Nexus shakes!!

Originally posted by Hibbitz
Thanks for the reply and I will be interested to know what happens. I am heading back out with my Nexus this afternoon and I think loose blades might be PART of my problem. I will let you know if it helps at all.

Thanks,
HIBBITZ
Cool thx, glad to see many of us here help each other out, any info is always helpful, I'll be doing some test hovering today since I think I have my issue resolved, I'll see. My piezo gyro seems to activate with any little vibration, not sure if its due to not enough padding but I'll find out today.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Hibbitz

Default Nexus shakes!!

I went to test hover yesterday and had some problems with my tail rotor. Just got the Nexus and it is my first heli. The black pitch arm stripped off of the brass sleeve that goes over the tail rotor shaft (If that makes any sense). I have ordered some replacement parts from Tower Hobbies and it seem that they now have a nut that hold those two together. Before I did lift off and start spinning around and around, there did seem to be a lot less vibration so we will have to wait and see. Let me know how you and your buddy make out. If you want to email me directly I am at [email protected]

Regards,

Kent