Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

xcell gas question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
MonkeyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xcell gas question

Do you guys recommend getting a X cell gasser as a first heli?I don't like the cost, the smoke, and the hassel of nitro. I got an expert friend who will trim the thing and get everything worked out. Also, he'll let me practice flying with his cheaper Rapter 30.
So, in my situation, should I just get the X cell gasser?

I prefer X cell because the company is in American and will not go bankrupt soon...so parts availability should be good for quite some time. Also, I like the way it looks.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

I would go with the Intrepid , the X-cell has overheating issues and Bergen has been doing quite well with the business. I decided on getting a Intrepid over the X-cell.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:10 PM
MonkeyDude

can't you get a replacement fan?

and so what if it doesn't run cool? will it kill the engine?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:29 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Their are some modifications , but I don't know specifically what they are. Read this thread http://runryder.com/showtopic.htm?to...&topicid=28053
Old 12-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: xcell gas question

Originally posted by MonkeyDude
Do you guys recommend getting a X cell gasser as a first heli?I don't like the cost, the smoke, and the hassel of nitro. I got an expert friend who will trim the thing and get everything worked out. Also, he'll let me practice flying with his cheaper Rapter 30.
So, in my situation, should I just get the X cell gasser?

I prefer X cell because the company is in American and will not go bankrupt soon...so parts availability should be good for quite some time. Also, I like the way it looks.
I used 3 different Gas helis in the past, 2 X-Cell gas and the last one a Bergen Intrepid gas.

By far the Bergen was the best, the smoothest. To get the X-Cell Gas to the Bergen standard, you will need to spend a lot on options. where as the Bergen is standard. Much smoother also, an important feature for aerial photography.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:03 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned three Xcell gasser's and still have a highly modified Xcell gasser. I've never had any issues with any of them...

The overheating problem that was mentioned was limited to the first release of the Xcell gasser's to the best of my knoweledge. MA remedied the problem with a molded carbon-fiber fan shroud and a CNC aluminum fan.

These machines are similarly equipped if you compare them side by side many item's are a push. Metal head vs. molded head, graphite vs. g-10 frame set, composite gel coated canopy vs. Lexan plastic, HD tranny vs. standard and on and on.

Metal heads and tail rotor cases don't make your machine fly any smoother and or better, they just cost more to replace. Items like metal blade grips and such are very expensive to replace as compared to molded pieces.

You can take the difference in original dollars outlay-ed to purchase the models and upgrade the Xcell to a metal head center piece add a few more metal options if you feel the need or you can add the HD tranny, composite canopy, graphite frame set to Bergen and you have similarly equipped machines IMO...

Have fun with whatever model you choose. Local support and help always plays a major factor in my purchases as well as parts availability and the company behind the product.

Have fun
Old 01-04-2003, 11:00 PM
[NRI] LarryK

it's all personal preference, but it so happened that my first machine (and the first anything i flew) was an x-cell gas. it's a beautiful machine to fly and may be just a bit easier to learn with, vs glow, because of the additional weight. mistakes are expensive though!

as far as heat, it's not an issue at all. we flew with approx. 6-9 lbs. of additional weight (camera ship) in Tennessee in the middle of the summer for a week and that beautiful little engine never once skipped a beat the air temp was never lower than about 90 deg. and humidity was very high as well. as far as i remember, the only mods i made to it was the miniature tuned pipe and bergan clutch/fan. i don't know that the bergan fan is actually needed anymore however. that was a few years back (i'm just now getting back in the saddle)
Old 01-04-2003, 11:19 PM
MonkeyDude

how expensive is the "average" mistake? Around 300 bucks?
Old 01-05-2003, 05:51 PM
[NRI] LarryK

to tell you the truth, i'm just getting back into it again and i'm really not familiar with the prices. the one crash i did have was over $600 though. i pretty much totaled the machine (hit a tomb stone). i'm sure an average "crash kit" (blades, shaft, tail, etc.) would be far less.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Gary Travis
My Feedback: (3)

Default Confused

Your post asks about the x-cell gasser, as you are thinking of getting one, although on one of your earlier posts on one of these forums you said you already have one??
Old 01-06-2003, 03:54 PM
MonkeyDude

I brought one but still building it...not yet flown it. I'm trying to learn while I build
Old 01-06-2003, 03:55 PM
MonkeyDude

this post was started before I got the gasser
Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Gary Travis
My Feedback: (3)

OK
I think that if you are learning you might want to learn on something other than the gasser. It is a stable ship however it covers alot of ground quickly, also it can be difficult learning to auto due to the increased weight. After you get some experience you will love flying the gasser. It has quickly turned into my favorite as I don't need to worry about glow fuel and starters and such
Old 01-06-2003, 11:42 PM
MonkeyDude

Thanks... my trainer will let me use his cheap and old Raptor 30 to learn. I'll also practice with simulators.